Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

AMC 20 NT to WT Idea

905 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  80cj 
#1 ·
So as I am a glutton for punishment I have an idea.

Oh and hi Im a new guy here. 1980 CJ7.

I have a AMC 20 NT rear end and I want a WT rear end, but I also want some added strength. I also don't really want to go to a 44 or 60 series axle, its prolly cheaper and simpler but I like to over complicate things because I can.

My thought is this, weak point of the 20 is the 2pc axle and tube.

So in an effort to gain a widetrac why don't I replace the axle tubes with some heavier DOM tubing. Im thinking 2.5" with .5" wall ( was thinking of bigger 3" with heavy wall), adding a truss. This will also allow me to make the axle as wide as I want (WT width) and I can order standard WT aftermarket single piece axles.

I cannot see how this would be any weaker than a 44 if anything it would be stronger as my INPUT shaft is much heftier.

Does anyone know where I could find weld on bearing ends for a AMC20 ? I don't really want to make them.

See less See more
#4 ·
If you truss it and stitch the tubes to the center section the wall thickness of the tubes becomes a non issue since they can no longer rotate or bend. And yes, $100-$150 for a stock WT axle is probably about right.

#7 ·
The AMC 20 already has 2-5/8" tube. Not sure how you would get 2.5" tubing to work once the old tube was removed.

Do you have an alignment jig to ensure that the new tube is perfectly aligned?
2.625" is fine I was thinking even 3".

I have a lathe with 3" through spindle and a bridgeport, so I can make any tools I need.

I was just thinking it would be something to do and a different approach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.