AMC 20 Moser Install Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20 Moser Install Problem

BDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRuffstuff 10 year saleRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
Controlmech
1983 CJ7 

Cj AMC 20 Moser Install Problem

Just tried to install my new Moser 1 piece axle on passenger side. The backing plate bolts are getting tight before the backing plate mates up with the axle flange. Also the axle is impossible to turn by hand.
Old axle lengths were dead-on the diagrams included with the new axles.

Bearing stick-out from the housing was 0.081" so I used one of the 0.030" shims that was originally installed on the driver's side. Shim is between backing plate and axle flange and it's ID is larger than the bearing.

I loosened the retainer plate bolts and the axle freely turns.

I called Moser this afternoon but got the we are closed message. Will call again Monday.

I've seen where some people have removed the thrust block in the diff on this install. Is this a common issue/fix?

My new axles were flat and square on the ends, an issue I read on previous posts.

I am a little concerned about the direction of the bearings on the axle. Moser's diagrams / instructions could use improvement. I have the bearing pressed on so that the cone of the bearing is pointed AWAY from the differential. The larger shoulder of the inner race is against the press-on ring and the shorter shoulder is against the step of the axle. Is this correct?

Unread 10-23-2015, 05:20 PM   #2
wm69
1985 CJ7 

I think your thrust block is the problem. I have a similar problem trying to reinstall axles that were installed in the late 90s with a crosswalk stor I think your thrust block is the problem. I have a similar problem trying to reinstall axles that were installed in the late 90s with the thrust block still in place.
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.