AMC 20 left rear drum Spins freely of axle shaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20 left rear drum Spins freely of axle shaft?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 05-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
81cjproject
1981 CJ7 

AMC 20 left rear drum Spins freely of axle shaft?

81 cj 7 with amc 20 narrow in the rear. (unfortunatley)

Ok well I had a squeaking sound when driving I replaced all u joints and then serviced differentials. The amc 20 was still welded and looked good in the pumpkin the bearings were all good. but the squeak came when I turned the left rear wheel I would spin it and it turned seperate from the carrier group I haven't been inside the drum yet but obviously I sheared some mechanism that attaches the drum/wheel to the axle and allows the wheel to transfer the HP to the ground. the back right is still fine so thats what I am driving on. Do I ned a whole new rear end? or is it a seperate part from the axle? any help would be nice. a buddy of mine also said he has heard of people just welding it all together (didn't sound like the best idea)

81cjproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
81cjproject
1981 CJ7 

Nevermind. I just did some more reading I spun it. The loud bang gave it away. Looks like I am going to look for a 1 piece. Thanks any how.
81cjproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Welcome to the "Been There, Done That" Club! You will enjoy the 1-pc axles.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.