AMC 20 HUB Removal :brickwall - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20 HUB Removal :brickwall

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
bobert0670
1980 CJ7 

AMC 20 HUB Removal :brickwall

OK So I have gone through the rebuild stickies, and have not seen a good way to do this. How in the friggin world do you get the Hub off the axle shaft? I have tried pullers, and had them where I could not turn the screw any farther without a 4' section of pipe! I started to wonder if they are two piece, but judging from the axle sticking through with a castle nut I would have to say yes. Now I am not shy of using BFH's but I also don't want to break something due to my lack of knowledge on these. Any insight or shoudl I keep beating on it?

Unread 09-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Did you smack the end of the puller after it was tight, then re-tighten and repeat?
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
bobert0670
1980 CJ7 

OK I found out that I need to get the 3 jaw puller. And as soon as I typed the post of course the next search revealed what I was looking for. I wish I could delete this! Yes Jeepwhore I did with the biggest BFH I have, didnt move a centimeter.
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Heat...

I have fought with plenty of these and heating the hub to get it to expand, while using the puller and a BFH, is usually the way they come off...

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I took mine to a place that works on big trucks. They put them in a 50 ton press and cranked on them until they went boom, literally sounded like a rifle shot.
Handed them a $20 and walked back out the door.

It's the only way to go IMHO.
Unread 09-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

You need one of these to get that hub off.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
MojoMark
1986 CJ7 

^make sure you get one of those that fits the lug pattern on the jeep. I borrowed one from Napa that was too small and that was the only one they had. I ended up using the neanderthal method to get my backing plate off (BFH, cutters, prybar). But I was putting in new axles
D30 Front (Aussie Locker), AMC 20
MojoMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck633 View Post
Heat...

I have fought with plenty of these and heating the hub to get it to expand, while using the puller and a BFH, is usually the way they come off...
X2. cherry red, really big three jaw, air impact on the puller, 3 pound hammer, get the kid's back.
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Yeah, you need to get the correct hub puller like the one 80cj has posted. Using a standard puller with the jaws behind the hub will likely bend the flanges of the hub and render it useless. A puller designed to be attached to the lug nut studs is what is needed.

If the hub has spun on the axle, as sometimes they do, be prepared to remove the axle from the four backing plate bolts and take it to a shop that has a 50 ton shop press. You will have to snip off the bearing gage that holds the bearing rollers in place in order to separate the backing plate from the axle.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
Blakescj7
1985 CJ7 

That sounds like a nightmare. I'm glad mine has one piece axles.
Blakescj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ51973 View Post
X2. cherry red, really big three jaw, air impact on the puller, 3 pound hammer, get the kid's back.
IF you heat to "cherry-red", you have just ruined the axle/hub heat treat and annealed(softened up)them both.
LG
Unread 09-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #12
redsduty
1978 CJ7 

I have removed several hubs with a piece of 1/2" plate steel. I drilled 1/2" holes in the same pattern as the wheel studs. Then punched out the wheel studs and lossened the axle nut until it is flush with the end of the axle shaft.

Bolt the plate against the axle nut through the stud holes with the largest bolts that fit and tighten evenly. Keep tightening the bolts and smack the center of the plate with a hammer until it pops loose. A little work to make the plate but it has worked good for me.
redsduty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I was converting to one piece shafts. The whole time I was thinking "you need one piece shafts because those two piece will spin on you". I think the axle would have fallen out of the Jeep first LOL
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ51973 View Post
Yeah, I was converting to one piece shafts. The whole time I was thinking "you need one piece shafts because those two piece will spin on you". I think the axle would have fallen out of the Jeep first LOL
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if the bad rap that the 2-piece axles have is due more to guys running tires that are way too large, and gearing that is way to low, than it is due to a bad axle design.

This mod seems like more trouble than it's worth for my purposes.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

It's NOT!!........
The POS, 2-piece was dreamed up by AMC's 'bean-counters" and they had the last word.
The best 1 piece axle set up is Moser!
LG

Tags
amc 20 , hub bolt , hubs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.