AMC 20 Gear Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20 Gear Swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
556hjytt78
1980 CJ7 

AMC 20 Gear Swap

Ok, I've got an AMC 20 with one piece moser axles, locker, and new brakes. It is a 2.73 ratio so I know the carrier wont work with my new 4.56 r&p's. On the jeep now is a tired AMC 20 with the proper carrier for the new r&p's. Here is my question.

Would it be easier to set up my r&p's on the axle with the proper carrier and swap everything over? Or, pull the proper carrier out and put it in the better axle? This is my first r&p set up. Im looking for the easiest way to get my shims correct

Any thoughts or suggestions?

556hjytt78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Knucklehead
1973 CJ5 

Either option will require you to do a R&P setup for the new gears so I'd suggest putting the correct carrier from you current axle into the built axlehousing with 1 piece axle shafts and new brakes (assuming the new axle is the correct width for your application).
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
556hjytt78
1980 CJ7 

I have to measure the existing shims to get me in the ballpark when I start the set up. Which shims do I measure? or do I start from scratch with the shims?
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
Knucklehead
1973 CJ5 

Unfortunately, you are pretty much starting from scratch - two different range carriers, different housings, new gears. I'd use the shims on the "new" carrier as a ballpark but expect some work from there to get the backlash and contact pattern correct.
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

You must do the set up in the axle housing you will be using.
Don't forget that the pinion will be marked +/- for starting reference. Mod 20 shims are on the outside of the bearings. Use the OEM set up to start with. Do a pattern check on at least 3 places on the ring gear.
LG
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
Speedy94c

1977 CJ5 

My advise would be to find someone that has some knowledge of setting up and r&P. This is a very hard thing to do and requires close tolerances. I wouldnt want you to do it and it not get correct and mess up some $ worth of parts. Good luck with it which ever way you go.

Steve
Speedy94c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy94c View Post
My advise would be to find someone that has some knowledge of setting up and r&P. This is a very hard thing to do and requires close tolerances. I wouldnt want you to do it and it not get correct and mess up some $ worth of parts. Good luck with it which ever way you go.

Steve
Good advice.
Special tools needed for R&P work. Inch-pound and foot-pound torque wrench, and a dial indicator that will measure down to .001".
Along with a bearing puller and press.
LG
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
556hjytt78
1980 CJ7 

I've got a dial indicator and inch/lb torque wrench. My buddy has set them up before. He will be on standby. Thanks for the input guys.
Unread 01-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #9
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

You will need a foot/lb. torque wrench for the bolts. Red Loc-tite for the ring gear bolts.
The inch pound is for check'n pinion bearing preload.
Also, get a 0-1" micrometer for measuring the shim's thickness.
Good luck,
LG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.