AMC 20 Gear Build Thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20 Gear Build Thread

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #91
gtx6pack

This is a great thread, makes me want to dive in head first on my up coming gear swap. Any thread/info like this available for the Dana 30? I want to go from a 3.23 or 3.54 (can't remember which) to a 4.10 or 4.56 on my '78 CJ-5.

gtx6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #92
Trimble1
1983 CJ5 

Great write up, I'm saving this thread. Thanks.
Unread 09-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #93
sbcranger
1985 CJ7 

great thread. and thanks for the advice from everyone else. pretty envious you got to do this all on a bench, had to change the yolk in the truck, man is that really not fun.
sbcranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #94
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtx6pack View Post
This is a great thread, makes me want to dive in head first on my up coming gear swap. Any thread/info like this available for the Dana 30? I want to go from a 3.23 or 3.54 (can't remember which) to a 4.10 or 4.56 on my '78 CJ-5.
There is one somewhere, I can't remember who started it. The link in the beginning of my write up here, which is for a D60, I believe is similar to the 30. my plan is to follow that anyway when I do my 30.

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #95
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
You got it. Add 5 in lbs torque for the new seal.
So then I as well need to sinch this thing down 11lbs? Since I never checked the proper resistance before removing?

Also should I go ahead and put some marking dye or whatever its called to make sure its tracking properly?
CJman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #96
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJman77 View Post
So then I as well need to sinch this thing down 11lbs? Since I never checked the proper resistance before removing?

Also should I go ahead and put some marking dye or whatever its called to make sure its tracking properly?
I would target around 10 in lbs. You can check the gear pattern if you want to. I don't think it should change unless your pinion was loose and moving back and forth, up and down. When you drive it, listen for unfamilar noises... gear whine or growling.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #97
brandon1
1984 CJ7 

So what is rolling resistance(rotational torque)? Do you put a torque wrench on the yoke nut and see how much torque it takes to get the jeep to move?
I need a new front and rear seal so if I can figure this out Im going to tackle this.
brandon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #98
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon1 View Post
So what is rolling resistance(rotational torque)? Do you put a torque wrench on the yoke nut and see how much torque it takes to get the jeep to move?
I need a new front and rear seal so if I can figure this out Im going to tackle this.
See post #28 of this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/da...91/index2.html
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #99
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Ok so wanted to ask a question on an oldie here before I start my gears in the 20/30. The OP had a TOTAL carrier shim thickness of .178" with which he moved back and forth to finally find his optimum position.

My question is if the .178 is a standard for AMC20 carrier/housing setups or is each axle/carrier unique? If they are all unique, which im assuming they are, how does one know what TOTAL thickness they need to play with if using a carrier not matched to that housing? (ie. a 3.31+ carrier in an originally 2.73 geared housing?) Again, this is assuming each is unique.

If theyre not each unique, this is to assume that whatever comes out of your axle, regardless of where your amc20 carrier came from, it should require the exact same TOTAL thickness of shims.??

Thanks !
cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #100
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

If I remember correctly from doing mine, the FSM says add shims to one side of the carrier and pry it back and forth with a dial indicator until the end play is zero. If it moves, add some more shims. Once it no longer moves that is the total thickness of shims. Now you can swap them, change sides, etc until you set the backlash. Always keeping the same total thickness in play. Once everything is done, you add like .008 to each side for preload. I may be off on that value though. Pretty sure it is in the FSM.
Unread 10-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #101
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Paul ^ helped me a great deal with my 20 rebuild, including loaning me some tools. I was nervous about getting into the 20, as I have always been taught about close tolerances and "you need to know what you are doing" conditions. But it wasn't bad at all, and I will do my 30 next. I bought a Ratech Master Rebuild kit, which, btw, contains the CORRECT gasket for the diff cover, unlike the Crown OEM gasket that I paid good money for. It had all of the shims needed. I went from 2.73 to 3.54 in a used carrier I got from another member. My 2.73 had a single shim on either side of the carrier bearings. I did not measure them, but they "appeared" to be the same thickness. I used different shims going back together, and the shims I used was totally dictated by the backlash. Put it together, check backlash, take it apart, add/delete shims, put it together, check backlash, take it apart until I had it right. I have read where members had their carrier virtually fall out when the bearing caps were removed, and others, like myself, that had to get creative to get the bugger out of there. I don't know enough to guide you on carrier preload, but there are some good resources like Randys R&P website. I *think*, or maybe I should percieve, that there is a little wriggle room. I ended up using a dead blow hammer to tap my carrier back into place. I tried putting the carrier in first then tapping in the shims, but I bent two shims that way! I ended up standing the shims up against the housing. I coated them in STP which allowed them to stand up against the side of the housing, and you can lay the carrier in place, but it will test your patience. Or maybe I'm just clumsy! Incidentally, don't drop an STP coated shim on the ground!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.