AMC 20 Gear Build Thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20 Gear Build Thread

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-18-2008, 07:33 AM   #46
aero mech
1980 CJ7 

I am no expert, but I went through the same set up this past winter. It was also my first attempt. I would say 34 in-lbs might be alittle tight. One tip I learned on the crush sleve is put it in a shop press and press it just alittle. It seemed to me once it was crushed even alittle bit it was much easier to finsih when installed. Some one else might say this isn't something good to do but it worked for me. You can use the one you crushed to much for a guide. good luch and great write up. JC

80 CJ-7 Straight six,comp cam,4.0 head, cherokee header, DUI distributor, Affordable FI TBI ,4.10's wide track amc 20 aussie locked and trussed, Dana 30 aussie locked, PSC steering box, 4.5 RE lift, twin sticked dana 300 with Lo max 4to1 35"STT'S ON DC-1 "It's getting there"
aero mech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #47
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero mech View Post
I am no expert, but I went through the same set up this past winter. It was also my first attempt. I would say 34 in-lbs might be alittle tight. One tip I learned on the crush sleve is put it in a shop press and press it just alittle. It seemed to me once it was crushed even alittle bit it was much easier to finsih when installed. Some one else might say this isn't something good to do but it worked for me. You can use the one you crushed to much for a guide. good luch and great write up. JC
Yea 34 in-lbs is too tight. It's 50% over whats recommended, so I'm defintely playing it by the book and replacing it, even though I really don't want to. Good tip on the shop press, I'll probably just go back the same way until I have little more experience with the sleeve. I'd be worried about going too far in the press.

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #48
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Just curious. Did your pattern change any with the high pinion preload?
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #49
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
Just curious. Did your pattern change any with the high pinion preload?
I didn't run a pattern on it with the crush sleeve set. I don't plan on it, I'll just set the new crush sleeve to spec then run it again. I've been told it could pull it away some, which I think would be OK with my pattern.

It did change when I pressed in the new race though. Looking at the pattern, it moved the pinion deeper by about 1 to 2 thousandths.

108 with setup race

108 with pressed race

AMC 20 Write Up
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #50
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I've had the pattern change on me after the crush tube was installed and torqued within spec. That is why I asked you if you checked your pattern after installation of the crush tube. Even after giving the pinion head a couple good raps with a hammer and drift to assure seating of the bearing cup, this happens. Now, even while going through setup, I tighten the pinion nut down till I get a midrange of spec rotating torque reading (say 22 In lbs for an AMC 20). When I do final setup with the crush tube, I target that setting.
Unread 08-18-2008, 08:23 PM   #51
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
I've had the pattern change on me after the crush tube was installed and torqued within spec. That is why I asked you if you checked your pattern after installation of the crush tube. Even after giving the pinion head a couple good raps with a hammer and drift to assure seating of the bearing cup, this happens. Now, even while going through setup, I tighten the pinion nut down till I get a midrange of spec rotating torque reading (say 22 In lbs for an AMC 20). When I do final setup with the crush tube, I target that setting.
Does it usually pull the pinion away from the ring gear when your pattern changed? I was putting about 12-18 in-bs on the pinion during setup.

AMC 20 Write Up
Unread 08-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #52
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmonist View Post
Does it usually pull the pinion away from the ring gear when your pattern changed? I was putting about 12-18 in-bs on the pinion during setup.
Yes, the first time that happened to me I had to add a few thousandths worth of shims to the pinion depth shim pack to move the pinion back into the ring gear..
Unread 08-31-2008, 06:20 PM   #53
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

Yes I procastinate....

Finally got back on it today. Got the pinion nut removed without any problem. Removed the new seal. I put a small crease in it while removing, so I'll replace it just to be safe. I'd like to hear some tips on removing without damaging if you've got em. Put the axle back in the press and pressed out the pinion.

Put the new crush sleeve on, press on the outer bearing again. I actually just used a large socket, it went on fairly easy. Greased up the new seal and drove it in. Put the yoke on and the new pinion nut. This time i went very slowly. Began checking it every 1/8th turn once the play was removed from the pinion. First check was 2 in-lbs, second was 8, third was 20 in-lbs. Spec is between 15 and 25 in-lbs of rotating force on the pinion. I'm there so I installed the ring gear back in the housing. Went back with .064 RGCS and .116 NRGCS. Installed the bearing caps and torqued them down to 65 ft-lbs. Backlash was just shy of .007. The pattern is below. It did pull the pinion away from the ring gear when I preloaded the bearings, but just a hair, barely noticeable.

I think it might be a hair too deep, but overall I'm pleased with the results for my first time. I'd love to hear opinions, good or bad.

AMC 20 Write Up
Unread 09-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #54
jeepmor

I admire your fortitude

Vewing this thread is why I have this work done by an experienced shop. Wow, what a load of work.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #55
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

That shoud run quietly. What does the pattern look like when you roll the ring gear against the pinion about 3 times?
Unread 09-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #56
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

Jeepmor - It may not be for everyone, but it's not near as difficult as I had always heard. It does take some time and patience. I learned more than I ever thought I would and know MUCH more about gear patterns and why they look like they look.

80CJ -That's about 4 or 5 runs on that last pattern.

AMC 20 Write Up
Unread 10-03-2008, 05:38 AM   #57
Kman1983
1983 CJ5 

Great write up. I helped my dad set up the 3.73's in the Dana 44 thats in the rear of my CJ5 a few years back. I'll be doing a 4.10 install in a spare AMC 20 and Dana 30 WideTracks this winter. I had bought the Yukon gears and set up kit also. Guess I'll order the other shims!! I'll be using an ARB in the 20 and a Power-Lok in the 30.
Kman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #58
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman1983 View Post
Great write up. I helped my dad set up the 3.73's in the Dana 44 thats in the rear of my CJ5 a few years back. I'll be doing a 4.10 install in a spare AMC 20 and Dana 30 WideTracks this winter. I had bought the Yukon gears and set up kit also. Guess I'll order the other shims!! I'll be using an ARB in the 20 and a Power-Lok in the 30.
If you did a 44, you'll like working on the AMC 20, It's a much less time consuming axle to setup. Unfortunately, the D30 is just like the 44.
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #59
Big_Pete1999
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It gives me hope that I can do the gears myself.
FANTASTIC write up!
Big_Pete1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #60
joeyschribar

thanks for the writeup, ill be putting in some gears on my grand waggy amc 20 in the next few weeks and this has helped me tremendously!
joeyschribar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.