AMC 20 Fix - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20 Fix

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-05-2005, 06:59 PM   #1
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

AMC 20 Fix

I know basically nothing about rebuilding a rear end, so here's my question:

I mangled the carrier in my AMC 20 so I found a used one and bought it. It's all intact with the spider gears and ring gear still in it. How difficult is it just to put the whole thing in? Will there still be shimming and stuff that needs to be done? I checked a couple of shops and one gave me a price and suggested that it would have to be "set-up" and another pretty much just said it would be labor for sticking the thing in as it is. Which is right?

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsarecool
I know basically nothing about rebuilding a rear end, so here's my question:

I mangled the carrier in my AMC 20 so I found a used one and bought it. It's all intact with the spider gears and ring gear still in it. How difficult is it just to put the whole thing in? Will there still be shimming and stuff that needs to be done? I checked a couple of shops and one gave me a price and suggested that it would have to be "set-up" and another pretty much just said it would be labor for sticking the thing in as it is. Which is right?
It's a crap shoot. The guy who set up my diffs does it for a living and said that most of the time they don't need any adjustments. He still uses this stuff that you put on the gears to "check the pattern". This tells him if the gears are meshing with the proper preload. I'd just try throwing it in and drive it to see if it howls. It won't hurt it to test drive it for a short period. I'd only do this if I didn't have much money wrapped up in it and I wasn't putting all new "expensive" parts in it. If I were putting a new R&P set with a master install kit, I'd have an expert do it.
Unread 04-06-2005, 11:25 AM   #3
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

You say your carrier is mangled. Assuming the pinion bearings and gear are ok, I would check agains the back of the ring gear with a dial indicator for run out. If its less than .003 or so, I would assume that the carrier is not warped and that it would be ok to take a ring and pinion backlash reading. Make a note of the reading. When you install the new carrier set the ring gear back to this same reading. I would install new bearings on the new carrier and preload them +.008" .
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.