AMC 20 E-brake set-up after nissan disk brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20 E-brake set-up after nissan disk brakes

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
hopefulcj76
1980 CJ7 

AMC 20 E-brake set-up after nissan disk brakes

After i have installed the rear nissan/geo disk brakes, what is the best way to hook up the e-brake? I have the e-break pedal and cable to the equalizer, I bought the right and left cables a while ago and am not trying to set it all up. Of course they are slightly short on both ends, so my question is should I try to extend the cable? Or could I run coated cables (bought from home depot), add some cable ends to them and run the lines through some of the oem brackets and Mcgiver some brackets by the axle? I have searched this thread and have seen both done, mostly on the ford 8.8 swap though. Will this work? Should I buy longer stock cables? Do I need the spring on the stock cable?

hopefulcj76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Funny that you brought this as I've been calling around looking for parts for this today. About a year ago, I bought a set of brackets for the calipers off a member here, but now can't remember what calipers they are for. I'm hoping they are for the nissan calipers, because I found a set locally for $80. I found a few write-ups on other sites, but none show the e-brake setup. Hopefully someone has some pics because I'd like to work on this over the weekend.
Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
hopefulcj76
1980 CJ7 

From what i have seen you mount the w brake cable below the axle since the nissan e brake pulls down. I jave seen one guy use a metal elbow for this and others have said they jist routed them ubder tue axle but didn't how any pictures.
Unread 06-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
D-BO
1985 CJ7 

Is the brake e-brake cable just too short? I did an axle swap with a wagoneer 44 with drum brakes and all I had to do was get some matching all thread a coupling nut from fastenall and cut the original near the base. I then cut the stick of all thread to the length I needed. I should probably take a pic when I get home it is pretty basic when you see it.
Unread 06-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
hopefulcj76
1980 CJ7 

So what you are saying in a simplized way is thay you extended it at the equalizer? That would probably be easiest as long as I can find the same size thread.
Unread 06-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
D-BO
1985 CJ7 

Yeah here is a pic. I don't know if yours is more complicated or not, but all I had to do was make the threads longer. Yes it was tricky to find the parts because my threads were 5/16 x 24 (or fine thread). I bought the coupling nut shown in the picture and a stick of all thread at fastenall. I would suggest bringing in one of the original nuts on the end of the thread of your e-brake cable and have them match the threads. I cut the threaded portion of the e-brake cable down towards the based leaving enough thread to thread the coupling nut half way. Then cut the stick of all thread to the length I needed and threaded that on effectively lengthening the threaded portion. My e-brake now works great.

Now I could forsee some issues you might have if your e-brake cables need to be pulled out longer than mine did. I just now this worked for me.
coupling.jpg  
Unread 06-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
hopefulcj76
1980 CJ7 

That looks like that will be the easiest and best route for me. If you wouldn't mind, could you post more pictures of how your cables are routed. Mine were stripped out by the PO and i don't have anything to go off of.
Unread 06-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
D-BO
1985 CJ7 

What specifically are you needing? Mine still has the stock setup up to the front so all it is is a cable that runs up the frame and then through the hole in the floor board. And from the axles it's just those to ebrake lines joining up to where you see in the pic.
Unread 06-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
hopefulcj76
1980 CJ7 

Are the e-brake cables secured to anythibg at the equalizer on? Or are they just "secured" and not actually bolted down? I'm not sure where to route the cables and how to hold them in place.
Unread 06-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
D-BO
1985 CJ7 

The e-brakes from the axles go through 2 holes in the stock bracket using some hardware to secure them. Here is a pick of the back side of the bracket and you can see the front side in the original pic. That sucks if all that is gone off of yours. The plate should be there still with the 2 holes for the e-brake lines to go through and meet up with the equilizer. You need that hardware because you need something to hold the outside cables while the equilizer pulls the inside cable.
All that stuff was on mine already so I just re-used it and assmbled it just like it was with the original set-up.
brakcet.jpg  
Unread 06-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
D-BO
1985 CJ7 

Here the arrow is pointing to the fasteners that secure the e-brake cables to the plate. Are you saying you don't have any of this?
coupling.jpg  
Unread 06-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
hopefulcj76
1980 CJ7 

Awesome man, this all makes sense now. I have the plate attached to the frame and new cables/hardware, I just had no clue how it all went together. I was content with just attaching the cable to the equalizer and B-lining it to the e-brake. Thanks man, thank you for replying and posting the pics, hopefully i can square this away tomorrow.
Unread 06-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

DBO-So the nissan calipers hook right up to the brake cable, or did you have to do anything special there?
Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #14
hopefulcj76
1980 CJ7 

Last question, the side that attaches to the plate, is it the short cable end or the longer cable end with the spring around it?
Unread 06-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
hopefulcj76
1980 CJ7 

Dborns, the connection is the same but the cable itself needs to be lengthened. It's just q cable end, like on a bicycle brake cable on the handle side.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.