AMC 20 Disk Brake conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20 Disk Brake conversion

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

AMC 20 Disk Brake conversion

I am creating this thread to steer folks in the right direction, If you have a stock CJ and just want to do a semi cheap conversion, the maxima or nissan 300x swap may be just what you are looking for.
I did the swap with the nissan calipers with (e-brake) and the 2 door rotors from a Geo tracker. To say I was HUGELY let down, would be the understatement of the year!! Simply put, it didn't work. It did squeak loudly, turn the solid caliper a beautiful shade of blue and warped the heck out of one!

Follow the thread here if you are interested.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ma...+20+conversion

Now, for those of you running a larger tire and/ or lower tcase gears, here is the SOLUTION..

I just finished up and not only will it hold the rears in 4low (I have a 4:1 kit in my Dana 300) but you can get it to lock up under a load!!

The calipers are GM, I bought mine from Autozone for a 73 Monte Carlo

there are multiple rotors that fit 5 on 5 1/2, you can get some from an 80's bronco that are close, or possibly use the 4 door tracker rotors, but I didn't measure them out, so I am not endorsing that. I started to build the brackets myself, the ones I got from BESERK are awesome, but like I said before, the pads and calipers are just not powerful enough to stop the 35's.

I will post all the photos below, and you can see the size difference in everything.

On my search, I ran across TSM disk brakes, they sell the brackets that bolt directly to the axle flange and accept the GM rotors, They also sell the 11 9/16 rotor that fits our CJ's. I don't want to advertise against policy here, however for those of you looking to do this swap, it is WELL worth your time to google them up!!!

OK, since I have to resize every photo, I will just put them below, if you have any questions, feel free to hit me, I will answer what I can!!

..ninja edit..
As you can see, I had to get a couple of 45 degree brake fittings to accept the banjo style bolt. Also the caliper brackets come with a welded on tube where they mate up with the flange, I was instructed to either shim these or grind if they were off, just as an added bonus, they fit perfectly with no modification.

They also enclosed shims to take the place of your backing plate, since I had already cut mine, I just used them, however if you want to save a huge headache of cutting your backing plates, these shims fit great and you can ebay your old backing plates for a small fortune!!

Enjoy

Tom

brake1.jpg   brake2.jpg   brake3.jpg   brake4.jpg   brake5.jpg  

brake6.jpg   brake7.jpg   brake8.jpg   brake9.jpg  

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Forgot to talk about the e-brake.. I got the valve from ricks performance, it simply ties in between the master cylinder outlet and the rear disks.. Press the brake and turn the valve!! We just finished a YJ and it works flawlessly, so when I get mine plumbed in, I will add photos as well!!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
7CJ5White6
1976 CJ5 

Since you can advertise can you send me a list of all the parts you used? Thanks paul_m_white at msn dot com
Unread 07-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

I will try to put them in a list and post it up in a bit, however it is raining straight down and since the CJ is in perfect shape, the boy and I are headed out to play in the mud and prolly break something else!!!!!

Tom

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

subscribed.
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
boojeep
1979 CJ5 

In on this upgrade as well. Could be a winter project if the garage becomes mine again.
boojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Should I assume that the axles be upgraded to 1 piece before this conversion?
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
titomars
1981 CJ7 

In many states a line lock or micro lock is not street legal for an emergency/parking brake system. So check your states laws. Here in California and Neveda it must be a mechanical system completely independent of the hydraulic system.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

8.8 disc brakes

I used Ford 8.8 rear Disc brakes on a 86 CJ7 with a factory Dana 44
1 I had to enlongagate the side to side holes.
2 I had a company redrill the holes to 5 on 5 1/2
3 I ran a 1/4" spacer on the inside of the rotor.
4 a TJ Rubicon combo valve
5 saddle clamps on the Ebrake cables.
reardisc.jpg

BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Did this setup on Dad's CJ-7 and yes it is easy and works great. We used the weld on brackets and the GM 'metric' calipers.

If you use the later 'metric' gm car calipers, Speedway motors sells the e-brake calipers.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Emerge...pers,1968.html
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

Bumpo to reference a picture....

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #12
Thbugman
1978 CJ7 

Subscribe
Thbugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 12:22 AM   #13
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck633 View Post
I will try to put them in a list and post it up in a bit, however it is raining straight down and since the CJ is in perfect shape, the boy and I are headed out to play in the mud and prolly break something else!!!!!

Tom
What happened to this thread? Was there a list of parts somewhere and I just missed it? Was the build a success or fail?

Last word for OP was that they were going to go drive in the rain/mud... hope the brakes didn't cause an accident.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #14
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomars View Post
In many states a line lock or micro lock is not street legal for an emergency/parking brake system. So check your states laws. Here in California and Neveda it must be a mechanical system completely independent of the hydraulic system.
Same for up here in Canada.

The OP also states he can lock up the rear brakes under load also! Yikes, can we say how to do 360's in one easy lesson!!!

There is supposed to be a combination valve in Jeeps and most other vehicles that prevents this from happening.. It is extremely dangerous to have the rear wheels lock up on you at speed.

If in part time 4x4 with the front and rears locked together, you just go out sideways into the ditch which is why the CJ owners manual says to stay off the brakes when in 4x4, to use the gears to slow down and just brake at the end.

If in 2 wheel drive and you lock the rears up, you do 360° spinouts faster than you can blink.

Normal panic braking locks the fronts and loads the rears. The rears keep turning until you are almost all the way stopped.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #15
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieg8 View Post
What happened to this thread? Was there a list of parts somewhere and I just missed it? Was the build a success or fail?

I'm curious if this mod worked, as well. I don't think I've read a disc brake conversion thread that was a complete success, yet.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.