AMC 20 Disc brake conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20 Disc brake conversion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 06-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
johnnypac
1980 CJ7 

AMC 20 Disc brake conversion

I'm at the end of a very long axle re-build so I'm a bit frustrated. New ring and pinion, new one piece axles, TRUSSED (thanx BESRK) all new seals and bearings, so I'm down to the disc brakes. (BTW, I got the calliper mounting brackets from BESRK too, talented man.....shameless plug for my man BESRK! )

I bought the 96 maxima calipers, the 97 geo tracker 2 door front rotors. All the write ups i've read say this set up will work. Well, they look pretty but the caliper is too thick, or so it seems.

I've compressed the piston all the way and still....missed it by THAT much. SO, is my only option to have the rotors turned down a 1/4 in or so? can I even do that? I mean will a shop shave that much off? Shall I just shave down the pads a bit? or is that just stupid talking? MAN I WANTED THIS THING RUNNIONG THIS WEEKEND.

dsc00864-640x480-.jpg   dsc00865-640x480-.jpg  
johnnypac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Are the 96 and 97 tracker rotors the same? IIRC it was 96 rotors, and rear calipers from 95-2001.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
johnnypac
1980 CJ7 

On one write up (on jf) it said 89-98 geo traker front rotors were the same. I HOPE
Unread 06-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
Patter
1981 CJ5 

Can't really tell what you have from the pics.
I did this too. Didn't have any trouble getting them to fit over the rotors. The rotors are only 8mm/.315 thick.
The only thing I had to do was use washers(pic 2 & 5) to center the caliper over the rotor.
These have since been changed out with spacers of equal thicknesses.
Posting some pics.
Don't think they will help you. But, ya never know.
300 ZX calipers/Samauri rotors.

Good luck

Unread 06-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Did you buy the caliper bracket or just the caliper. Something does not look right. You need the caliper, caliper and the mount to attach to thr axle. It looks like you have the caliper attached directly to the axle bracket.
Unread 06-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
johnnypac
1980 CJ7 

I have the 97 nissan maxima calipers, the caliper bracket and the fabbed bracket on the axle housing. I havent attached the caliper to the bracket yet, i was just dry fitting it. It seems like the pads are too thick, they wont press in any more than they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patter View Post
Can't really tell what you have from the pics.
I did this too. Didn't have any trouble getting them to fit over the rotors. The rotors are only 8mm/.315 thick.
The only thing I had to do was use washers(pic 2 & 5) to center the caliper over the rotor.
These have since been changed out with spacers of equal thicknesses.
Posting some pics.
Don't think they will help you. But, ya never know.
300 ZX calipers/Samauri rotors.

Good luck

And that is one beautiful set up you have, kudos. Yea, i have spacers but i'm not even that far yet. I'm not worried about the spacing between the bracket and the rotor yet, the pads just wont fit around the caliper. Thanks for the replies.

IDK if you can tell from this pic. but i'm not connected to the axle housing caliper bracket. I'm just dry fitting to see if the pads fit around the rotor.
dsc00868.jpg  
Unread 06-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
johnnypac
1980 CJ7 

I used a mallet and gave it a few wraps and it fit on TIGHTLY, but I know that's gona cause issues. Just shave the rotor? can I ? It seems like the piston should be more compressed, but both stick out the same distance and don't compress any more, even with a c clamp
Unread 06-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Do they compress or screw in?
Unread 06-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
mtbtweety

1982 CJ8 

IIRC, you have to screw the pistons back into the calipers. A C-clamp won't do it.
Need a tool like this.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0675&ppt=C0067

That worked on a '96 Maxima, at least....
mtbtweety is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
johnnypac
1980 CJ7 

I've never heard of SCREWING them in. The link says page can not be found. But there is a TOOL to SCREW in the piston? Man, I've done maybe 50 brake jobs and have always been able to losen the bleed nipple and compress the piston with a c-clamp. So I'll google the tool. Don't want anyone saying "have you googled it?" jk, thanks guys.
Unread 06-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
mtbtweety

1982 CJ8 

that's what I said when I did them on my ex's maxima...

Google "Lisle - Disc Brake Piston Tool"
mtbtweety is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
johnnypac
1980 CJ7 

HOLY CALAMITY JANE. I googled the piston caliper, found I could do it with a set of needle nose pliers, and SCHPLADOW. Thanks guys. I was thinking I bought the wrong rotors, turns out, I"M JUST AN IDIOT. FITS PERFECTLY NOW. (i snuck out to the garage while my wife was in bed ITS 11 PM, I could get my balls cut off for that!) Thanks again. I will sleep soundly tonight...... oh, yall know what i'm saying, trying to sleep, "Whats wrong with the jeeP"
dsc00869-640x480-.jpg   dsc00871-640x480-.jpg  
Unread 06-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
johnnypac
1980 CJ7 

the camera flash woke her, I'm screwed. ........ anyone in S GA have a spare bed?
Unread 06-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
johnnypac
1980 CJ7 

And what does IIRC mean, Thats the only one I can't figure out
Unread 06-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #15
OldSkull
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypac View Post
And what does IIRC mean, Thats the only one I can't figure out
If I recall correctly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.