AMC 20--> D44 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20--> D44 swap

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
AZjeepfreak
2002 WJ 

AMC 20--> D44 swap

Hey ya'll...new to the world of CJ's and need some help! Girlfriend took her newly purchased 81 Cj 7 out for the first time today and before we hit the trail the rear brakes blew to hell and took out the backing plate on the drivers side. I have been harping on her since she bought it about the AMC axle and that it needed to go but this was the ticket sooo went to junkyard today and came upon a 1976 Dj with what i identified as a dana 44. is this a bolt in swap?? I have been in the modern world of Wj's too long and need some help on this one! I also found a D44 in a 91 Comanche as well....which way should I go?? As a side note we plan on putting a locker in this as money allows....dont want to run into issues because my research tells me that some of the DJ's had a limited slip in them? THANKS!!

AZjeepfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Whether or not the AMC20 "needs to go" is a question that can be discussed for pages. For the "Average Jeeper", the most it needs is a one piece axle conversion, and then usually only after the original axle has spun. There are thousands out there over 30 years old doing fine, thank you very much.

Now if you have swapped out the engine, thrown super big wheels on it and are using the Jeep to climb walls at Moab, you probably have a case.

What is she doing with her Jeep that makes you think the axle needs swapped out? That is certainly more expensive than even if you replaced the axles, welded the tubes and installed a truss. If you do all that you probably have a STRONGER axle than a Dana44, again, for less money.

I'm not being mean here, but I read "new to CJs" and am hearing negative things about something that possibly you have no experience with? How did you come to the conclusion the 20 has to go? Maybe it DOES, but again, how did you get there?

The Internet, bless its heart, has posts of every persuasion on everything. "Don't rebuild that 258, drop a small block Chevy in it instead!" or, "put an AMC 304 in it!" "Purple is the coolest color!" "NO, don't do that, Bed line the outside!"

Lots of people on the Internet would be happy to spend your money! Chances are they'd be happy to sell you the parts, too!

Be careful and study is all I'm saying.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
DYontheForum
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Whether or not the AMC20 "needs to go" is a question that can be discussed for pages. For the "Average Jeeper", the most it needs is a one piece axle conversion, and then usually only after the original axle has spun. There are thousands out there over 30 years old doing fine, thank you very much.

Now if you have swapped out the engine, thrown super big wheels on it and are using the Jeep to climb walls at Moab, you probably have a case.

What is she doing with her Jeep that makes you think the axle needs swapped out? That is certainly more expensive than even if you replaced the axles, welded the tubes and installed a truss. If you do all that you probably have a STRONGER axle than a Dana44, again, for less money.

I'm not being mean here, but I read "new to CJs" and am hearing negative things about something that possibly you have no experience with? How did you come to the conclusion the 20 has to go? Maybe it DOES, but again, how did you get there?

The Internet, bless its heart, has posts of every persuasion on everything. "Don't rebuild that 258, drop a small block Chevy in it instead!" or, "put an AMC 304 in it!" "Purple is the coolest color!" "NO, don't do that, Bed line the outside!"

Lots of people on the Internet would be happy to spend your money! Chances are they'd be happy to sell you the parts, too!

Be careful and study is all I'm saying.
Hahaha that made me chuckle.

I have a feeling that one guy gave the AMC 20 a bad name and it just spread around like a wild fire.
DYontheForum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
AZjeepfreak
2002 WJ 

Welll.....

Well boys...kept the AMC 20. When I opened her up it looks like the previous owner had put in the 1 piece axle(bless his soul) Jeep is up and hauling *** once again and my thoughts, efforts and money are now headed to the WJ that I will be purchasing this next week. As for the bitterness towards the AMC...I chalk it up to not knowing what it was and going to what i am familiar with...the Dana. Any ways Thanks for the assist gents
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

yes its a bolt in swap but, its about three inches narrow, and most of them have 3.73 gears.
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
amc 20 , cj , dana 44 , dj , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.