JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   AMC 20--> D44 swap (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/amc-20-d44-swap-1494855/)

AZjeepfreak 03-17-2013 02:35 PM

AMC 20--> D44 swap

Hey ya'll...new to the world of CJ's and need some help! Girlfriend took her newly purchased 81 Cj 7 out for the first time today and before we hit the trail the rear brakes blew to hell and took out the backing plate on the drivers side. I have been harping on her since she bought it about the AMC axle and that it needed to go but this was the ticket sooo went to junkyard today and came upon a 1976 Dj with what i identified as a dana 44. is this a bolt in swap?? I have been in the modern world of Wj's too long and need some help on this one!:confused: I also found a D44 in a 91 Comanche as well....which way should I go?? As a side note we plan on putting a locker in this as money allows....dont want to run into issues because my research tells me that some of the DJ's had a limited slip in them? THANKS!!:cheers:

WindKnot 03-17-2013 03:05 PM

Whether or not the AMC20 "needs to go" is a question that can be discussed for pages. For the "Average Jeeper", the most it needs is a one piece axle conversion, and then usually only after the original axle has spun. There are thousands out there over 30 years old doing fine, thank you very much.

Now if you have swapped out the engine, thrown super big wheels on it and are using the Jeep to climb walls at Moab, you probably have a case.

What is she doing with her Jeep that makes you think the axle needs swapped out? That is certainly more expensive than even if you replaced the axles, welded the tubes and installed a truss. If you do all that you probably have a STRONGER axle than a Dana44, again, for less money.

I'm not being mean here, but I read "new to CJs" and am hearing negative things about something that possibly you have no experience with? How did you come to the conclusion the 20 has to go? Maybe it DOES, but again, how did you get there?

The Internet, bless its heart, has posts of every persuasion on everything. "Don't rebuild that 258, drop a small block Chevy in it instead!" or, "put an AMC 304 in it!" "Purple is the coolest color!" "NO, don't do that, Bed line the outside!"

Lots of people on the Internet would be happy to spend your money! Chances are they'd be happy to sell you the parts, too!

Be careful and study is all I'm saying. :nono:

DYontheForum 03-17-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindKnot (Post 15148776)
Whether or not the AMC20 "needs to go" is a question that can be discussed for pages. For the "Average Jeeper", the most it needs is a one piece axle conversion, and then usually only after the original axle has spun. There are thousands out there over 30 years old doing fine, thank you very much.

Now if you have swapped out the engine, thrown super big wheels on it and are using the Jeep to climb walls at Moab, you probably have a case.

What is she doing with her Jeep that makes you think the axle needs swapped out? That is certainly more expensive than even if you replaced the axles, welded the tubes and installed a truss. If you do all that you probably have a STRONGER axle than a Dana44, again, for less money.

I'm not being mean here, but I read "new to CJs" and am hearing negative things about something that possibly you have no experience with? How did you come to the conclusion the 20 has to go? Maybe it DOES, but again, how did you get there?

The Internet, bless its heart, has posts of every persuasion on everything. "Don't rebuild that 258, drop a small block Chevy in it instead!" or, "put an AMC 304 in it!" "Purple is the coolest color!" "NO, don't do that, Bed line the outside!"

Lots of people on the Internet would be happy to spend your money! Chances are they'd be happy to sell you the parts, too!

Be careful and study is all I'm saying. :nono:

Hahaha that made me chuckle.

I have a feeling that one guy gave the AMC 20 a bad name and it just spread around like a wild fire.

AZjeepfreak 03-31-2013 06:15 PM

Welll.....

Well boys...kept the AMC 20. When I opened her up it looks like the previous owner had put in the 1 piece axle(bless his soul) Jeep is up and hauling *** once again and my thoughts, efforts and money are now headed to the WJ that I will be purchasing this next week. As for the bitterness towards the AMC...I chalk it up to not knowing what it was:facepalm: and going to what i am familiar with...the Dana. Any ways:ranton: Thanks for the assist gents:cheers2:

brownbagg 03-31-2013 06:26 PM

yes its a bolt in swap but, its about three inches narrow, and most of them have 3.73 gears.

The time now is 10:22 PM.