Amc 20 clicking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Amc 20 clicking

KrawlOff-Road.com now Carries Iron Rock Off Road!!!!!Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
TanCJ
1984 CJ7 

Amc 20 clicking

I have an open diff AMC 20 on my CJ7 and while I'm driving forward, my driver side rear wheel makes a clicking noise and a slight pop. I placed the jeep on level ground, jacked it up. The passenger side wheel spins freely and without hesitation. The driver side wheel can not be turned by hand. Where should I start to fix this problem?

TanCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2015, 08:37 AM   #2
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

Only way to know anything for sure is to open the cover and look inside. Minimum it requires an oil change, and some new RTV for the cover, which isn't a bad deal.

Did this happen all of the sudden one day while driving down the road? Have you been wheeling recently and it started after that?
dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

I'd start by pulling the drum on that side to check that the brake isn't stuck on.
OrangeCJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #4
TanCJ
1984 CJ7 

I pulled the drum and the axle is not wanting to turn. Going to pop the cover off and go on. It just started backed it up and click click pop. NO wheeling no hauling nothing....
Unread 05-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
TanCJ
1984 CJ7 

Ok pulled the cover no metal everything looks good.
Unread 05-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
1985 CJ7 

Clicking and popping sounds like a lunchbox locker in there. Can you watch it spin with the diff cover off? If it's an open diff, I'd check my spider gears as it was being turned to make sure there was no damage to the teeth.
1018 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
matt1980

1980 CJ5 

if the wheel does not want to turn with brakes removed I would turn my attention to wheel bearing. Is there any in/out movement or up down play at the hub?
matt1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
TanCJ
1984 CJ7 

Yes the teeth everything looked great. The passenger side tire will spin freely all the teeth everything looked good.
I think Im going to pull the guts out on the driver side never done this before soo happy happy joy joy.
Unread 05-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #9
1985 CJ7 

Check the bearings like Matt said. That may be the culprit if the diff and brake looks good.
Unread Yesterday, 10:57 AM   #10
TanCJ
1984 CJ7 

I know this is covered does anyone know a good guide to getting the axle out? Very green when it comes to working on differentials. Whats a good kit to order to upgrade to 1P axles?
Also my jeep is a 1984 cj7.
Unread Yesterday, 11:07 AM   #11
matt1980

1980 CJ5 

Are your axles damaged or are you just looking for the peace of mind with the 1 Piece? As for removing the axles once you get the bolts holding the backing plate off it should slide out. If you are upgrading to 1 piece axles you don't need the hub to come off. The backing plate can come off the bearing side if it is easier, you will have to cut/press the bearing off the old axle though. One of my hubs wouldn't budge so I went the other way. The wheel bearing is not a press fit in the axle housing. If you upgrade you will have the press the new bearing and retainer on the new axles, I used the press I have in my garage, nothing special, 12 ton, probably came from harbor freight or northern tool, don't remember.
Unread Yesterday, 11:20 AM   #12
TanCJ
1984 CJ7 

Not sure if the driver side is damaged, that is where all the noise is coming from I have a feeling the bearing went out. Is there anything in the diff that needs to be done before it will slide out?
Unread Yesterday, 12:13 PM   #13
matt1980

1980 CJ5 

Mine is a 1980 narrow track and I do not believe yours is different other than being a little wider, can someone that knows for sure confirm he is good to unbolt and slide it out. I can not immagine there are clips or anything in there but it would be great if someone else can confirm.
Unread Yesterday, 07:41 PM   #14
1985 CJ7 

When I pulled mine (85 wide Trac, 1 piece) I don't recall any clips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.