AMC 20 Bearing cap installation question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20 Bearing cap installation question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
austrailian

AMC 20 Bearing cap installation question

Changing out the ring gear and pinion on a 1980 CJ5 with AMC 20 rear end. I know the bearing caps are suppose to be reinstalled the way they come off (right/left and top/bottom orientation). Checking before I remove to mark them and I noticed that the caps are factory marked with an arrow and the word up.

I know the previous owner overhauled this rear end. The caps are installed with the "up" arrow pointing down. I am just wondering if the last guy got them on wrong or am I missing something.

Thanks for any input.

austrailian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Put'm on the way they were factory marked.
LG
Unread 10-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #3
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I agree, put them back in as marked by the factory and don't rely on someone else who has apparently turned them up side down. If I were you and needed to change the bearings, pull the ring gear assembly out with shims and bearings and then bolt the caps back on with the correct orientation by themselves. Verify the alignment by looking at the factory cut marks in the bores of the caps to match those of the carrier and also use a pair of inside calipers to verify concentric of the bore.

I believe, if I remember correctly, the caps and carrier are stamped to match at least on one side from the factory.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
austrailian

Thanks to both you guys for the info and taking your time to reply.
austrailian is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.