AMC 20 axle shaft removal, confusion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AMC 20 axle shaft removal, confusion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
stvincnt
1979 CJ5 

AMC 20 axle shaft removal, confusion

I'm hearing a grinding noise in my passenger side rear axle. I'm assuming the bearing is shot. I want to pull the axle and I've researched the steps on the forum but I'm still confused . Some posts say that I have to loosen the backing plate and some say its not necessary. I believe it that it is the two piece type axle setup. Thanks in advance

stvincnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

The backing plate has to come off. If it's a stock 2 pc axle the bearing goes on from the outboard end of the shaft and the shaft assembly is held into the axle tube by the backing plate. No way to replace the bearing or pull the axle shaft without removing the backing plate.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

If it is a model 20 axle, removing the brake backing plate will be necessary.
LKCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
stvincnt
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
The backing plate has to come off. If it's a stock 2 pc axle the bearing goes on from the outboard end of the shaft and the shaft assembly is held into the axle tube by the backing plate. No way to replace the bearing or pull the axle shaft without removing the backing plate.
Thanks for reply, Does that mean I have to take apart the breaks, I hit one bolt and it just spun, I'm assuming those are nuts and bolts
stvincnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

There are 4 bolts that go through the backing plate the otter seal and seal cover. If it is a two piece axle you will want to remove the otter hub first.
Then the brakes. Then the 4 bolts. Good Luck!
LKCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Here's a good picture thread on the AMC model 20:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/fu...l#post11481098

SC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.