amc 20 axle questions (pictures) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > amc 20 axle questions (pictures)

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
jagerlager
1979 CJ7 

amc 20 axle questions (pictures)

hey everybody. I started to work on my rear axle today. I cleaned it up good and opened up the pumpkin (this jeep was a mystery to me when I bought it ... no idea what was good or not) to inspect. this is what I found

all looks good to me, what do you guys think??
what kind of locker is this?

I think theres a leaky pinion seal, I dont know how much leak is too much. and I was wondering if these are changed from the pinion nut side?

I dont want to pull the axles to check seals and bearings at this point. would you recommend pulling them to see? It all seems smooth to me.

now for the big question.
the previous owner had some sort of spring over axle going on in the rear only. shocks mounting to brackets welded to the axle tubes. the spring plates have been cut off and welded onto the top...

The frame has been set up like this;

what would you guys recommend I do with this??? my new springs are superride 2.5" lift spring and the shackles are 0" lift. my new shocks are skyjacker hydro 7000.

sorry I hammered out all these questions at once... thanks for your help!

jagerlager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
imafishingfred

1981 CJ7 

Not sure what you have but if my rear end was leaking like what I see in your pics and I had it out, I'd replace every seal in it. If you ride thru water or mud you don't want it getting into your rear end. From my experiance, water will get in faster than your gear oil will leak out if you ride trails where there's lots of mud and water.
imafishingfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #3
79cj7reny
1979 CJ7 

I'll tell ya what I'd do if it were mine. Go ahead and spring for one piece axles. You can get 'em for about $200 and they come with bearings and seals. Then I'd go ahead and replace the rear brakes. You can get new hardware kits, shoes and new drums for under $250. I understand you may not have the coin right now but if you do, get as much done while it's sitting there. Clean it up and repaint too.
79cj7reny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
jagerlager
1979 CJ7 

Im definetely on it as far as repainting and brakes, I think pinion seal as well. I am concerned with the one peice axles though... since it already has a locker.(what kind of locker is this?)
My biggest question is about the spring plate, and putting it back on the right side of the axle (no idea what angle and such) , as well as the shock mounts welded to the tubes and if this a good idea for the amc 20 ?? or should I go back to shock mounts on the spring tie plate (mine have been cut off)
Unread 09-08-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
jagerlager
1979 CJ7 

another link free picture
amc20-001.jpg  
Unread 09-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
jeepnut83.5
1984 CJ8 

it looks like a lock right locker. they work great but can sometimes act funny while changing lanes.
jeepnut83.5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2007, 06:00 PM   #7
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

looks to be a lockright or ussie locker..Both a very good..Also you have 1 peice axles..be sure to get the bearings and seals for 1 peice axles...ya cant go to napa and ask for them I believe..I just stripped my hub yesterday after about a year of wheeling with a welded diff..Have axles to install so I havent really messed with them other than checking them out when I got them and reading online..
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2007, 07:54 PM   #8
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

I think theres a leaky pinion seal, I dont know how much leak is too much. and I was wondering if these are changed from the pinion nut side?

Yup, can be changed from the outside, just did mine today. EZ cheezy...

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
jagerlager
1979 CJ7 

If I were to pull these axle to do seals/bearing, and there doesnt seam to be a leak other than the pinion, but if I do... Do I need to use a puller of some sort? are these the tapered ones? or will they slide right out? can't say that I fully understand one piece axles other than that they are a good thing.
Unread 09-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

Here ya go!

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #11
jagerlager
1979 CJ7 

Nice! thanks!
Unread 09-10-2007, 08:45 AM   #12
aero mech
1980 CJ7 

one piece means that the hub and axle are all one unit, on the factory axles the hun was splined along with the axles. the two pieces were held together with a master key and nut.With bigger tires the hubs would strip the splines ans spine on the axle. Know for the puller ? You should be able remove the four bolts just behind the brake pads and pull staight out on the axle, the bearings are pressed on to the axle shaft so they should come with the axles. If they are alittle stuborn turn the brake drum over and slide it on backwards, tighten a few lug nuts on the wheel studs and slide the drum out and use it as a puller. Worked great for me. Hope this helps. jc
80 CJ-7 Straight six,comp cam,4.0 head, cherokee header, DUI distributor, Affordable FI TBI ,4.10's wide track amc 20 aussie locked and trussed, Dana 30 aussie locked, PSC steering box, 4.5 RE lift, twin sticked dana 300 with Lo max 4to1 35"STT'S ON DC-1 "It's getting there"
aero mech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.