Amc 20? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Amc 20?

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-12-2003, 04:51 AM   #1
93YJ

Amc 20?

What's everyones opinion about the AMC 20? A friend of mine is looking to upgrade
his CJ-5 in the axle area (due to spun hub), but doesn't want to spend
much just yet. He plans to daily drive this Jeep and only wants to run
33" tires. If properly trussed with one piece shafts, should this axle
hold up on the street and on the trail with little maintenance? I've
heard that they can be useful for up to a 35" tire with those
modifications, but would like more opinions.

Oh, and I probably know what the answer to this will be, but what about
welding the spider gears on this thing? I'm pretty confident wheeling
and driving mine on the street with welded gears, but it is a little
beefier setup than he will have. Yea or Nay?

Thanks,
Jay

93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 06:36 AM   #2
wm69

Amc 20 should hold up fine with good 1 piece axles (superior gear, moser) and welding the gears is strictly up to the driver. Driving it on the street with the gears welded is dangerous and I wouldn't suggest it.... Get a locker

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 10:19 AM   #3
MR.CJ-7

I am running the 20 with one piece shafts on 33"s with 35"s in the future. No problems yet. I have flirted with the idea of trussing it. I probably will one day, after I get the locker. Stay away from the hillbilly locker and buy a good one.
Unread 08-12-2003, 12:42 PM   #4
ace2222

With the superior axles and weld tube's you should be just fine..

i got my superiors for $250 plus a 5 yr warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.CJ-7
I am running the 20 with one piece shafts on 33"s with 35"s in the future. No problems yet. I have flirted with the idea of trussing it. I probably will one day, after I get the locker. Stay away from the hillbilly locker and buy a good one.
ace2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 02:27 PM   #5
DustinsCJ7

Where would i go about getting these "superior" axles?

Thanks
[COLOR=red]P.O.S[/COLOR] Jeep club member [B]#2[/B]
84 CJ7 nuttered up, TFI'ed, MC2100 conversion, 2" spring lift, 31" BFG MT's
79 LUV 4x4
[COLOR=blue]Live like there's no tomorrow[/COLOR]
DustinsCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 02:59 PM   #6
Brock

Look in a Jeep magazine or any websites.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 03:00 PM   #7
ace2222

Give Northridge4x4 a call

360-340-0282 or email sales@northridge4x4.com

that is where i get alll of my parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinsCJ7
Where would i go about getting these "superior" axles?

Thanks
ace2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2003, 10:44 PM   #8
eight

I had a welded diff in my AMC20 and it held up with 33s. Was not noticeable AT ALL on the street besides a little noise from the tires in tight turns, like parking, and especially on concrete. And I do drive this jeep every day. At the time I was thinking that I just didn't want to spend any money on that axle. But I liked it so much that my D60 is welded. They're getting very popular in my group. It seems the drop in lockers don't last well in the rear, and most of us are too cheap to buy a detroit, besides for a 14 bolt. If you decide to do it, ask and I'll tell you the proper way to weld it. Just gears to gears with a MIG doesn't hold up. You may want to do some searches on opinions on the subject. You'll find that the people who have them like them, and the people who don't like them have never tried it.

As for your other question, it should hold up fine with the mods you suggested.
Unread 08-13-2003, 07:31 AM   #9
Brock

There is a guy selling a set of axles on the forum for the cost of a detroit alone. I think his had onepiece axles and detroit w/3.73 and a matching front. I recently shipped some axles from NC to Birmingham for $120. So shipping is not too bad.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2003, 10:32 AM   #10
JAX

Jay,

Allthough I chose to go with Dana 44's front & rear in my CJ8, the AMC 20 that I removed does have its good points (ie: respectable ring & pinion, etc...). Having said that, it does have a few downsides that are certainly worth caring for. Especially if you are going to be running big tires, and driving it hard out on the trail. Throughout the thread many folks spoke about upgrading the axles. This can be spendy, but if you are going to keep/use the AMC 20, it's a really good idea. The other main issue, which someone else touched briefly on, is trussing the axle. Probably the biggest problem with the AMC 20 is the housing itself. The tubes are thinner than most axles, and so they have a tendency to flex/bend. From there, all of your inners start to go bad. If I was going to keep an AMC 20, that would be high on my list of things to do.

Now, then why did I change over to Dana 44's. Dana 44's are allot like Chevy 350's. They're a dime a dozen, and they offer allot more upgrade options. Additionally, start adding up the money you will spend on making your AMC 20 stronger, and you will find out that they're somewhat of a toss up.

Like everything else in the Jeep world, it all depends on how you intend to use it. If it's strickly for street use or the occasional dirt road, I'd leave it alone. But if your plan is to run it hard, I'd highly suggest looking into its upgrade possibilities.

Good Luck Playing...

Thanx,

Jax
JEEPNJAX
Unread 08-13-2003, 12:23 PM   #11
93YJ

Thank you all for the advice! Looks like we will be keeping the 20 and going with one piece shafts. We are also going to stitch weld the tubes and truss the thing using heavy walled tubing bent into a hoop over the housing and plate the gaps with 1/4" steel.

For now, we will be welding the spider gears. I've got a Dana 60 that we did this to that is working real well on the street and trail. Hopefully the smaller carrier can handle it!

Jay
93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2003, 12:41 PM   #12
livin2learn

Here are the cheapest price I have found on Superior 1-piece axles.....take it for what its worth.

Superior Axles

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.