Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Am I ok??? Lifter issue!!!

663 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Mike Romain 
#1 ·
So we had just done a top end on a motor. We pulled all the lifters to check for wear and put all back in the propper holes etc. When we started the engine back up we had a really bad tick on the #2 intake. We saw where the push rod was sitting 1/16th" or so lower than the other near it.

Once we removed the lifter, there was a little carbon that got stuck and was not allowing the lifter to fully extend. We removed the little clip and got the tiny little piece f carbon out and reassembled. The lifter feels good now to the touch, still has a strong spring and is currently soaking inorder to fill it up.

Will it be ok to use? We pulled one each side and they look and feel identicle. That little piece carbon sure rained on my parade this week!!!

It is the same lifter in the same hole etc. Also we only ran the jeep for about 20 minutes trying to find exactly where the nock/tick was....

#2 ·
I can't see any reason not to use it. Carbon flakes can be real hard stuff.

#3 ·
After you cleaned (and reassembled) it, were you able to push it in? I would say since you found the "smoking gun" you will be fine!!

#6 ·
We did not change the cam out etc. Lifters have to wear with the specific cam lobe. New lifter on a broken in cam is bad. They always need to be replaced together.

#7 ·
Once it fills with oil, my guess is it will work just fine. I have some that bleed down, tick a lil when you first start it, then work perfectly!

#8 ·
I had that issue of bleed down when I used a fram filter. They have bad anti drain back valves in them. I changed to a white filter and no more ticking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.