Am I crazy? $10.5k and a 2,200 mi drive home - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Am I crazy? $10.5k and a 2,200 mi drive home

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
canna

Am I crazy? $10.5k and a 2,200 mi drive home

I've turned to all my personal sources but no one knows Jeeps like you guys so before I take the dive I figured I'd run it through the forum.

I wanted a jeep for my first vehicle 10 years ago, but it was prohibitively expensive for me at the time. I want a CJ for my first "adult" vehicle, but I gotta do it right! Please help?

Is this worth 10.5k and a 2,200 mile drive home? Scared to death it'll keel over in the mountains, but damn does it look suhweet.

Description:
**1985 California Jeep CJ7 with Mopar Fuel Injected 4.2L 258 inline 6. $15000 Firm. Over $15,000 of work done with receipts alone. The motor has less than 1,000 miles on it. Brand new out of the crate from S&J, professionally installed. Com Cams K-68-232-4 Kit with high performance cam, lifters, springs, and new timing chain. New airtex performance 120 psi fuel pump with edlebrock fuel filter. Upgraded 20 gal tank with skid plate. Professionally rebuilt T-5 Transmission with less than 1,000 miles on it. New 32x11.50x15 Goodyear Kevlar lined tires. Dana 30 in the front with AMC 20 in the rear that was professionally trussed, bearing overhual kit, new yoke and collar assembly and U-Joints and Detroit locker. Reverse shackle 2.5" lift, professionally installed power breaks with steel braided break lines, and Warn locking hubs. New Radiator, hoses, thermostat, Flexlite fan, plugs, wires, cap rotor. Clifford Dual outlet headers with 2.5" exhaust going into 2 Flow master 40 Series Mufflers, and Cold air intake. Dana 300 transfer case with 4:1 ratio. Interior is line-x lined, with brand new both chassis and engine painless wiring harnesses professionally installed. New working gauges, stereo, tuffy center console, glove box, and trunk box, and new dash with knobs. New Best Top Super top with tinted windows as well as mirrors. Just installed smitty build front bumper with shackles, and side rocker guards. This jeep is rust free, and always been garaged and originally from Cali.

canna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

When I bought my 84 CJ for $4500, the owner gave me a folder of the receipts he had of the work done on it. I totaled them to between 11-12K, and that was without the money he paid to originally purchase it.

Bottom line, a vehicle isn't always worth what is spent on it.

However, they are always worth what someone is willing to pay. So if your willing to pay the price, it is worth it.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Here's a link to the AutoTrader ad

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=98121&endYear=2014&modelC ode1=JEEPCJ&showcaseOwnerId=100015786&startYear=19 81&makeCode1=JEEP&listingType=used&listingTypes=us ed&searchRadius=100&mmt=[JEEP[JEEPCJ[]][]]&listingId=344790043&listingIndex=1&Log=0
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
wvrefugee
1979 CJ7 

At the end of the day, if it's worth it to you then go for it!
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Wayyyyy toooooo muchhhhhh for what that is. Pass Pass Pass..
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
83vert
1982 CJ7 

I guess he bought because it says vehicle no longer listed
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
robs7
1983 CJ7 

Just noticed that too. Didn't waste any time! Rob
robs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
Danzigt
1989 YJ Wrangler 

^Agree
Danzigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83vert View Post
I guess he bought because it says vehicle no longer listed
Quote:
Originally Posted by robs7 View Post
Just noticed that too. Didn't waste any time! Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzigt View Post
^Agree
Really? The OP just posted this half an hour ago...
And I don't see any "no longer listed" comments when I go to the ad. hmmm.
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
canna

Thanks so much for all the replies. I haven't bought anything yet lol. The ad is still showing as active for me..

Not sure why it costs too much for what it is as MoC said. Is it because it has so many new parts in it? I thought new parts would = more reliable, am I wrong in thinking that? I keep seeing people say they paid under 5k for their CJs!! What sort of condition were they in to pay so little? The ones I've seen for those prices are all rusty and poorly maintained.
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #11
83vert
1982 CJ7 

I tried again and I still can't see it
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

What are your plans for it?

The price isn't too bad, and it's been given a new life with all the work put into it. It's far from original, though, which is important to some people. If your plans are for it to be a daily driver and "light hunting and four-wheeling rig," it may suit you well. I've known people who have driven farther to buy something in way worse shape than that and still drove it cross-country.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
canna

Thanks Walkerhound!!!! That makes me feel a little better.
I definitely don't want something I have to work on as soon as I get it home. I'm a chick and sadly, I was never once shown something under the hood growing up. My hope is for a daily driver and something to play with when we go out (and of course, another excuse to play in the mud). I need it to pull a flat trailer and possibly a boat. I hope I don't garner the scorn of the older, wiser males here, but I'm going for aesthetics and ruggedness not originality.
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Of course, these were guys who had done that sort of thing before and had a lot of help along the way: Eric's Jamboree relocation thread

Note: If you do wind up buying it, you'll have to post your trip on the forum. It's one of the rules
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by canna View Post
Thanks Walkerhound!!!! That makes me feel a little better.
I definitely don't want something I have to work on as soon as I get it home. I'm a chick and sadly, I was never once shown something under the hood growing up. My hope is for a daily driver and something to play with when we go out (and of course, another excuse to play in the mud). I need it to pull a flat trailer and possibly a boat. I hope I don't garner the scorn of the older, wiser males here, but I'm going for aesthetics and ruggedness not originality.
Not to disuade you from a CJ, but maybe you would be better served with a newer vehicle. The newest CJ is 27 years old at this point. Even the Mopar MPFI system on this particular Jeep is a 20 year old design. If you are not going to be doing any of the eventual repairs yourself, you may want to look for something that has OBDII. This is a universal diagnostic protocol that all vehicle manufacturers have been required to incorporate into their powertrain management systems since 1996. All modern mechanics will be familiar with this diagnostic system.

In addition, the 4.0 HO engine available in all Jeeps from 1993 to 2006 will have more power and (probably) better fuel economy as well.

I'm sure you can find a pretty rugged looking TJ that is well within your budget.

Again, not trying to talk you out of your heart's desire, just providing some more food for thought...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.