Am i asking to much for my cj5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Am i asking to much for my cj5

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 11-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Jack718
1972 CJ5 

Am i asking to much for my cj5

I've been trying to sell my jeep for a little while now but haven't had any bites. I've looked at my local listing and my price seems to be good. I live in southern New York. It really is in good shape and reliable. It's my daily driver. Here is the craigslist link.
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/4149951060.html
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jack718 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

nice enough looking jeep, imho. you might try comparison pricing on ebay, cars.com, etc. to see if you're price is in the ballpark. good luck to you.
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

Keep in mind $6000 in cash is quite a bit of money for most people to come up with for an older vehicle. Most likely a bank will not loan on older vehicle's and that reduces your chances for a quick sale.

When I buy or sell I try to base the price on what my bank would loan on it and go from there. I think your asking price is a good starting point. But if the bank will only loan Joe Shmo $3900 on it most likely he doesn't have the rest in cash.
Paint it to match

My NP435 install [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/time-tranny-swap-upgrading-np435-1487201/[/url]
78FordF150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

I don't think the price is totally out of line. Add OBO if you are willing to take less. I would change the ad to list prices of things added like "Bestop ($820)" etc. Also, take off the seat covers for the interior pic or at least stretch them tight, they don't look good. You might want to get rid of the word homemade describing the bumpers.

Just my thoughts, but I have written a lot of successful ads.
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Jack718
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroungerLee
I don't think the price is totally out of line. Add OBO if you are willing to take less. I would change the ad to list prices of things added like "Bestop ($820)" etc. Also, take off the seat covers for the interior pic or at least stretch them tight, they don't look good. You might want to get rid of the word homemade describing the bumpers. Just my thoughts, but I have written a lot of successful ads.
Thanks for the tips, just realized I left out some pretty important things like the throttle body conversion and full floating rear end, just added them to the post
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Jack718
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78FordF150
Keep in mind $6000 in cash is quite a bit of money for most people to come up with for an older vehicle. Most likely a bank will not loan on older vehicle's and that reduces your chances for a quick sale. When I buy or sell I try to base the price on what my bank would loan on it and go from there. I think your asking price is a good starting point. But if the bank will only loan Joe Shmo $3900 on it most likely he doesn't have the rest in cash.
That makes sense especially right before the holidays, most people probably don't have money for a toy
Unread 11-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
heffay
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm just a noob here, but I would also agree that your Jeep is simply too old for most any bank to finance.

I just bought my 94 Jeep and while I didn't want to finance an older vehicle, I can tell you that any of my banks would not finance even if I wanted to. Banks will usually only finance to 10 or 15 years of vehicle age.

I had to pull out all the stops, by offering the seller my 83 Honda 250r 3-wheeler, the wife's 01 saturn SL, and some cash. luckily he wanted the hunk-a-junk Saturn, and was into the 3-wheeler as well. Otherwise, I'd have been outa luck for picking up this new-to-us YJ, because we simply did not have 4 grand laying around.

Your location may or may not be an issue too... I'm not terribly familiar with the east coast, but when I read New York, even if it is NY State, I don't think of vintage Jeep drivers. I could be very wrong on that though.
heffay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Jack718
1972 CJ5 

Haha I live about an our from New York City, and I live up a quarter mile long dirt driveway in the woods. Nothing like the city, not all of New York is a city, just a very small portion.
Unread 11-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

as others have said, seats covers are in good shape, but look rough,

again, do not say anything about homemade,
it looks good to me,
take it to a couple of used car dealers, ask the head salesman to take a look at it
either ask for his review or ask to trade it on another vehicle, just to see what they say,
if it has any defects that you have not noticed, those guys will pick them out for you.

any jeep clubs in your area, as the guys to look at it, they may have some ideas to help you sell it.

also remember what Jeep stands for: JUST EMPTY EVERY POCKET

most of us will never get out of our old jeeps the blood, sweat and tears that we have invested over the years.

spring is the time to sell a convertible and a jeep, on a beautiful day with the top off,

you have a nice looking older jeep, key word here may be older jeep and harder to get a loan.

if you get a looker, how does it start and drive??????????
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
neal90
1982 CJ7 

i would think about trying to put the factory dash back in. But still looks like a 6k jeep all day long imo.
neal90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #11
Jack718
1972 CJ5 

Runs and drives great, I drive it everyday. Don't have the original dash, this is what it had when I bought it. Wanted to at least paint it but just never got around to it.
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #12
jco6560
1970 CJ5 

Don't know about the NY market, but that jeep would sell for $6000 in Colorado - or at least get interest and some offers close to that price. Have you thought about posting it on some of the various forums' classifieds? People out here will travel to buy good jeeps. Good Luck.
jco6560 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
jco6560
1970 CJ5 

In addition to posting classified on this forum, was thinking of the earlyCJ forum classifieds as well. They have a group specifically for the intermediate (first AMC) CJ5s.
jco6560 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 01:27 AM   #14
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Clean nice looking jeep. Don't think the price is to far off for around here, I would expect to see something like that at 5k'ish asking. IMO this is the worst time of the year to sell what you have. Lower priced beaters used for deer camps sell faster now than nice jeeps. You target buyer for what you have is someone who is going to drive it around town or just play on the weekends with it. Those buyers are saving for Christmas now.

A few comments on your add..

Shorten it up with just the bare information like engine size, top, type of tranny, good condition and a price. That way you get more callers looking for additional information. More callers the better chance to convert one to a buyer. Granted you will burn some extra phone time but selling is about turning lookers in to buyers and the more that call the better chance you have.

Personally I don't like car adds that go in to great detail about what you did to it and how much you spent. To me that just says you have made up you mind on whats its worth and are not going to be willing to negotiate with me. Also when you start listing out a whole bunch of replaced this, fixed this, spent all this it will make some buyers move on believing it breaks down all the time. Once they call and you establish a little rapport there it nothing wrong about talking about "upgrades," just don't go in to all the time you spend and all the money you spent.

You didn't do it, but I think adds showing jeeps wheeling or all muddy say to a buyer I have beaten the snot out of it.

Good luck!
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:36 AM   #15
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Gotta consider timing...Christmas and winter...bad time of year to sell it...the demand won't be there and you will sell it for less than you will at warmer and better expendable cash times of year (ie tax returns, grad presents)
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.