Aluminum valve cover install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Aluminum valve cover install

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 09-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
Ollie09
1983 CJ7 

Aluminum valve cover install

I bought an aluminum valve cover to replace the plastic one and 2 mounting holes on the intake side need to be drilled & tapped. I read through many of the threads reguarding this install, and all say to not go to deep or you'll hit water. None said exactly how deep the drill should be. Anyone know?

Thanks,

Gary

Ollie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
somdfisher
1981 CJ7 

When I did mine, I didnt go more than maybe a 1/4 inch. It was last year so I can't remember off hand. If you do a search there are many threads discussing this. That is where I got all my info. Actually, just about everything I've thought about has been discussed on here.
Unread 09-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Mine had the holes so I did not have to drill. I just used a blind tap as far as I could go. My holes were only deep enough to cut maybe 3 threads, which is fine because it is not like there is a lot of torque on those bolts.
Unread 09-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

how long are the bolts that go into the cover? put them in the aluminum cover and see how much deeper they would go..
Unread 09-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
MrWonderful73
1986 CJ7 

I've done it twice now (2 different engines) first time I drilled about a 1/4 inch and hit the water jacket, second time I drilled about 1/8 inch and used a bottem tap. Like the poster before it wont cut many threads but it holds fine, you may have to put a couple washers on the bolt it it bottoms out before it tightens. Or you could put studs in, thread locker and put nuts on it. Good Luck
MrWonderful73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.