Aluminum Valve Cover Install - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Aluminum Valve Cover Install

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #16
podboy333
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oily View Post
I bought a Clifford aluminum valve cover and they suggested and supplied yellow weatherstrip adhesive. The instructions stated to *glue* it to the valve cover.
I say this because, I would never glue a gasket to the head. It will have to be scraped at sometime later. Gluing to the valve cover keeps the scrapings from falling into the head.
Can you find a picture or link to the type of weatherstrip adhesive you are talking about? Never heard of using that before.

abernut, great post....I love seeing a tidy engine bay and this makes me want to go out and start getting mine cleaned up.

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.
podboy333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2011, 12:20 AM   #17
sdrewel
1976 CJ7 

http://3mcollision.com/3m-black-supe...3602-4250.html

Thats from 3M's website. you can pick it up at any auto parts store. Personally I like the black, but the yellow works just as good.
sdrewel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2011, 05:51 AM   #18
1983 CJ7 

Just ask for Gorilla Snot
Unread 04-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #19
spittoon
1984 CJ7 

quick question, do you HAVE to tap out larger holes in the head or can I use the current, smaller-sized bolts?
spittoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #20
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittoon View Post
quick question, do you HAVE to tap out larger holes in the head or can I use the current, smaller-sized bolts?
If you are referencing a smaller hole that is already threaded use it instead.

Some heads will have holes threaded and smaller helicoils inserted into them, while others will only have indexing holes, those are rather shallow but I've read that tapping them without drilling deeper has been successful.

Point is there are several different head treatments, your application may vary.

While the "gorilla snot" sounds very effective I've always used Indian Head gasket shellac, gluing the gasket to the valve cover. IMHO using a silicone sealer is a
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #21
hutchmanhd
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Just ask for Gorilla Snot

I asked for some "Gorilla Snot" at NAPA the other day and the girl behind the counter said, "I don't think we sell that!" LOL!
Unread 05-10-2013, 02:47 AM   #22
geraldfrasl

hey what5 was the wireing that you removed from the left side of the firewall
geraldfrasl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #23
GP_Pete
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernut View Post
Here's a closer look.
Still a long way to go, but slowly getting there.

This weekend I am going to tackle the Charcoal Canister and Fluid tanks...After seeing Kens http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ke...hread-1040550/ I am feeling inspired.
Looks great dude. Good work.
GP_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #24
sparkey
1983 CJ5 

valve cover

I used the existing indexing holes and tapped those, believe they are 5/16", used S/S allen heads. Just check the depth, used Permatex High Tack gasket sealer on the cover, set it on my steel work table for a awhile, gasket down, and it has worked just fine for those that might want to try this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.