So after cracking my original, greatly built, plastic valve cover I opted to buy an aluminum one. When it finally showed up at my front door step I was amazed at the difference between the two.
I read through the instructions about three times and printed out this thread Valve cover options
I luckily work for a company that has their own tooling/molding shop. So I went and asked for the tools I needed.
Here are the 5/16 X 18 Tap, bottom Tap, and Tap wrench.
After removing the old plastic cover I cleaned the head with a wire brush to remove all of the RTV I had previously used. When I thought I was done, I cleaned it one more time for good measures. I also used a bungy cord to hold my hose and electrical conduit out of my way. I even removed the fuel line from in front of the valve cover. Made things a lot easier to do.
I then started tapping my holes. I measured 1/2 inch on the bits and wrapped electrical tape there. I started with the regular beveled tap and then switched to the bottom tap. The bottom tap is just like a normal tap but with a flat tip. I had my brother holding my shop vac with a small nozzle next to the hole to suck up all the shavings.
The kit I bought came with 5 5/16 bolts and two of the smaller ones. With it being almost 11:00pm I didn't re-drill the three holes on the passenger and used the original bolts. I will probably redo it later down the road.
I then cleaned everything again and applied the High Temp RTV to the head. I then put the gasket on the head and put the bolts in to ensure my gasket didn't move while I let the RTV cure for about 5 minutes. I also put a nice bead on the Valve Cover.
I removed the bolts from the head that were keeping my gasket from moving and put the new valve cover on and tightened the bolts down. I couldn't find a torque wrench that had inches so this time I just snugged them down being careful not to over tighten. I starting from the center and worked my way around the cover tightening a little as I went.
Here is the finished product. I went ahead and purchased a new air breather for the valve cover. I used to have a hose going to my air cleaner.
Here is the engine as it was a month ago.
And here it is after doing the Nutter-Bypass, removing all the computer wires, painting the air cleaner and new valve cover.