Aluminum Radiator? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Aluminum Radiator?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
EZCJ
1984 CJ7 

Aluminum Radiator?

I am building a 350 to put in my CJ7. At the local machine shop, where I was having some parts cleaned up, I was advised against an aluminum radiator as they don't hold up well and harder to repair.
Seems like all the radiators I see online for this conversion are aluminum.
I am curious if there are any opinions or facts on this matter I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance.

EZCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
jeepster4245
jeepster4245
1982 CJ5 

I have gone thru several radiators on my jeep in the last 30+ years, and 2 in the last year..I finally went with a champion alum radiator and it keeps the temp constant, cool, and does not leak..If you go traditional brass and copper research and get a good one..Been happy with the alum so far. Good luck.
jeepster4245 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Galt
1983 CJ7 

Anyone telling you that aluminum radiators don't hold up well are just giving you their opinions. I have used aluminum radiators in my cars for over 10 years without any problems whatsoever. It sounds to me like you met salty dog who lives by old adages.
1993 RX7 1.3L Rotary/ GT40R turbo/484 rwhp
2002 F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8
2007 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2L V8
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
offroadz
1980 CJ7 

Some good links at this site on aluminum radiators.
https://shop.performanceradiator.com...formation_id=7
offroadz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Aluminum doesn't exchange the heat as well as a traditional radiator does.

That said, it is stronger, so they can make the "rows" bigger, and get by with less of them because you have more area.

So if you get a GOOD aluminum radiator, you'd be good to go. It's true that many radiator shops can't/won't/aren't good at repairing them.
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
cavscout187
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Aluminum doesn't exchange the heat as well as a traditional radiator does.

That said, it is stronger, so they can make the "rows" bigger, and get by with less of them because you have more area.

So if you get a GOOD aluminum radiator, you'd be good to go. It's true that many radiator shops can't/won't/aren't good at repairing them.
Aluminum. Transfers heat a lot faster then brass. What are you talking about
cavscout187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
cavscout187
2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Related/Thermo.html. read learn.
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #8
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavscout187 View Post
Aluminum. Transfers heat a lot faster then brass. What are you talking about
Radiators aren't made of brass, they are copper-brass, which is better than aluminum, and it's not even close.

That's what I'm talking about.

edit: Perhaps you should read and learn, not only about radiators and thermal conductivity, but how to post a working link, too.

Link
Quote:
Copper-brass conducts heat considerably better than aluminum does. Bigger tubes and more fins increase surface area. So why don't we build a five-core copper-brass radiator with huge tubes and a bunch of cooling fins? The limitations are material strength, weight, and airflow.

Copper-brass alloy isn't as strong as aluminum, so its tubes are more susceptible to blowing out under even the relatively mild pressure generated by a cooling system. Building a copper-brass radiator with a larger, more efficient 1-inch tube diameter requires thickening the tube wall to 0.015 inch-twice as thick as is necessary on a 51/48-inch-diameter tube. That means the larger tubes weigh over three times as much as the smaller tubes-not good! The compromise comes from building the tubes out of aluminum. An aluminum radiator using 1-inch-wide tubes with 0.016-inch wall thickness is 60 percent lighter than the same copper-brass radiator. The 1-inch-wide tubes increase tube-to-fin contact and cooling capacity by roughly 25 percent over a radiator built with 11/42-inch tubes. The net result? Griffin claims that a two-row aluminum radiator with 1-inch tubes will cool as well as a five-row copper-brass radiator with 11/42-inch tubes. That frees up some extra room under the hood, and the two-row design allows less restricted airflow through the core. More air equals more cooling.
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
cavscout187
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Again read and learn. Simple physics format. Aluminum is on of the best metals for heat exchange.( transfer)
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
cavscout187
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Aluminum radiate heat better copper conduct heat better aluminum gives off more heat.
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #11
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Again read and learn. Simple physics format. Aluminum is on of the best metals for heat exchange.( transfer)
It is ONE of the best metals for heat exchange. It is NOT, however, as good as copper-brass, which is what regular radiators are made of.

The advantage aluminum has is, it's stronger and lighter. So they can build an aluminum radiator with say, 2 rows that are really big....thus exposing more surface area to exchange heat. This (they say) makes up for the aluminum not being as good a heat exchanger as copper-brass is. Copper-brass isn't as strong, so they rows have to be smaller and more numerous.

So the advantage aluminum has is weight and strength, not thermal conductivity.
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #12
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Aluminum radiate heat better copper conduct heat better aluminum gives off more heat.
That doesn't even make sense
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #13
cavscout187
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Radiation is the release of heat. Conduction is the absorption of heat.
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #14
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Radiation does not apply here, because radiation has no direct contact. Conduction has direct contact, e.g., the water and air physically contacting the radiator.

So radiation is irrelevant here.

Regardless, copper-brass is a superior CONDUCTOR of heat than aluminum, which is how cars are cooled.

Aluminum radiators can be made to work because of the strength/weight reasons I've previously listed.
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #15
cavscout187
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Never thought I'd have to explain physics 101thremodynamics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.