Aluminum intake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Aluminum intake

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Aluminum intake

Does anyone know of a source for repro 2bbl intakes? All I can seem to find are 4 bbl. Mine has already been repaired once and seems to be on a slow downward spiral to oblivion. I'm not willing to deal with ebay and the possibility of buying a used manifold that could be in just as bad condition as the one already in my Jeep.
I currently have Howell TBI installed and the vacuum leaks are raising hell with it.
Thanks, in advance.

Unread 01-29-2014, 05:37 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I think a '77 would have a cast iron intake, not aluminum.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any aftermarket units available. You'll probably have to settle for a used one.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:51 AM   #3
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

That's what I was afraid of. Wonder why there aren't any repros available? (Edelbrock, Clifford, are you listening?) I'm looking at a Clifford manifold that comes with the Howell TBI adapter but it requires the exhaust to be replaced, as well. The intake/exhaust combo, along with exhaust mods to finish it off would end up being in the neighborhood of $750. Pretty spendy. The Clifford intake is also a single plenum. Not sure just how much that will affect my low end grunt.
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #4
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Just my opinion - but I was never remotely satisfied with the quality of Clifford products. I'd advise against. I went back to an OEM aluminum manifold I bought off of ebay, and have been pleased with it. The good news is that they're relatively cheap used, so you wouldn't be too deep in it if you did have to buy 2, or 3 even.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
CSP

I've used several '81 and up aluminum intakes when doing TBI conversions and haven't had a problem with any of them if you want aluminum. This will require an exhaust manifold from '81 and up also. YJs and AMC Eagles are possible donors as well.

There's just not enough of a market for the aftermarket to tool up a replacement manifold. It's probably $150k+ just to get set up to make one, let alone R&D.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

The way I'm looking at it, if mine is fatigued enough to be giving me trouble, other used ones probably are, too. I hate replacing the same part, repeatedly. I'm a "do it right the first time" kind of guy. Grrrrrr
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
CSP

I understand that thought process, but you'll never know until you at least look. There aren't any other alternatives other than a new replacement and you take your chance with a Crown/Omix part too.

I've swapped at least five of them and not had a stitch of trouble with any of them.
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #8
jeepmor

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Just my opinion - but I was never remotely satisfied with the quality of Clifford products. I'd advise against. I went back to an OEM aluminum manifold I bought off of ebay, and have been pleased with it. The good news is that they're relatively cheap used, so you wouldn't be too deep in it if you did have to buy 2, or 3 even.
Agreed, I have Clifford products and they are not all that, unless you want to make super revving race engine. They are way over sized for low end wheeling grunt that jeeps need. If I don't have a cat on my system, it doesn't get enough back pressure and runs really poorly.

I have the clifford heated intake, with TBI adapter and their headers. I have Howell unit also. As I said, if I made a race engine out of the 258, it'd be great. You could look for an offenhauser unit and get a clifford 4 barrel to TBI adapter and accomplish the same end on a 4 barrel manifold choked down to a two barrel by the adapter. Offenhauser has always been reported as better than Clifford, but I've never been able to find one when I was looking for them. Also, Offy products bolt all your throttle linkage back on exactly like OEM, Clifford does not and requires an aftermarket assembly for your throttle cable. Read PITA! As stated, stay away from Clifford unless you just absolutely have to get something of theirs to fix your issues. I do not like that company, and I have legitimate reasons after buying their products.

Slow delivery, poor communication, poor tech support and just plain crummy company to deal with.

I'd go back to stock first if I were doing it again.

I do think the 80s versions of the stock 258 manifolds were aluminum. It's been a long time, can anyone verify. Mine's buried in the attic somewhere and I'm not at home to go verify at the moment. BTW, my jeep is an 84CJ7 with 258 for clarity.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
I do think the 80s versions of the stock 258 manifolds were aluminum. It's been a long time, can anyone verify.
Already stated that '81 and up are aluminum and that they have to be used with the '81 and up exhaust manifolds.
Unread 01-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

And to save some more time on that, the primary reason is that the exhaust gas recirculation mechanisms differ on the 81+ vs. 80- exhaust manifolds. The mating surfaces for the intake EGR are starkly different:

pre-81:

81+:

Unread 01-30-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
CSP

The biggest reason isn't really the EGR, it's the mounting shoulders which are clamped to the head are about 1/2" thinner on the '81 and up. The intake and exhaust have to have the same size shoulder or they won't clamp evenly to the head.
Unread 01-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #12
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

OK, I'll grant you equal importance.
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #13
CSP

You moved from Fort Fun?
Unread 01-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #14
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
You moved from Fort Fun?
Not entirely willingly, but Kansas does have its benefits. I'll get back to you someday on what those are exactly...

Maybe that there's no emissions requirements here, making all that money and time I spent restoring and upgrading my engine to pass emissions (including replacing the manifolds) completely pointless :/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.