Alternator Wiring Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Alternator Wiring Issue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
CadCaman
1983 CJ7 

Alternator Wiring Issue

Guys, I am getting a sever squealing from my alternator at start-up that lasts about 5 seconds and then it is gone. The voltage meter on the dash reads about 12 for those 5 seconds then jumps to 14.5 immediately when the squealing stops.

You might just say "check your belt" or "alternator bearings". However when I unhook a single wire from the alternator (the wire that is fed from the starter solenoid to the post on the back of the alternator and then to the two-wire hook-up on the side of the alternator) the squealing stops. It is not coincidence because I made the condition repeat and cease 5 times by removing the wire from the alternator.

Can anyone help me with this dilemma?

Thanks for reading guys,

Jeff

CadCaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Pull the belt and see how ALL the pulleys feel when you spin them buy hand.
Something is cause'n the belt to slip-somewhere.
How old is this belt and how deep does it ride in the 'V" of the pulley?
LG
Unread 04-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

When you unplug the alternator, you take the load off it and the belt stops slipping. To test, I take a cold off engine and see if I can hand slip the alternator pulley. If I can, it will for sure slip under the load needed to top up the battery from the last starter draw. It takes several HP to spin the alternator under load.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
CadCaman
1983 CJ7 

That makes sense (no resistance). I am going to take the belt off and see if the alternator spins freely. I suspect it will. I know I have the belt tight enough. Could I be using the wrong style of belt? Is there such a thing as different belts? I am getting frustrated.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff
Unread 04-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

There are differences in belts, quality, length, and width. You may want to try spending the extra couple bucks on the Goodyear Gatorback belt.
Unread 04-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

I had a water pump freeze in a 258 once, at start up the belt slipped and cut a groove in the pulley. Had to change the pulley.
Red Neck
RedNeckCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 04:12 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadCaman View Post
That makes sense (no resistance). I am going to take the belt off and see if the alternator spins freely. I suspect it will. I know I have the belt tight enough. Could I be using the wrong style of belt? Is there such a thing as different belts? I am getting frustrated.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff
You really need to do the pulley slip test or you are just looking for trouble that doesn't exist.

When I do the pulley slip test and I know the belt is tight enough, and it still slips, it just means the belt has gotten polished up from mud usually in my case. I then need a new belt. Mud=liquid sandpaper.

If the pulley test fails, and the pulley does grab hard, next I check my battery cable ends for corrosion. Every time my cable ends need cleaning, the alternator will slip like that because of the real high load after a start. Alternator has to work double time to try and pass current across corroded cable ends. Don't forget the cables have 2 ends and both get corroded.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 04:46 AM   #8
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Tighten your belt. It requires HP to spin the ALT when its charging the battery and providing power for the accessories.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #9
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
When you unplug the alternator, you take the load off it and the belt stops slipping. To test, I take a cold off engine and see if I can hand slip the alternator pulley. If I can, it will for sure slip under the load needed to top up the battery from the last starter draw. It takes several HP to spin the alternator under load.
x2 when you unplug everything from the alternator it doesnt sense that the car is on or that volatage is required so the pulley will just turn freely with no resistance like a ac clutch pulley when it isnt activated.

The test you did actually indicates the opposite of your conclusion, it makes it seem like the belt is slipping under load.
Unread 04-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
CadCaman
1983 CJ7 

I believe you are correct. I am going to get it all checked out tonight.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff
Unread 04-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #11
BHawkmeck
1983 CJ7 

What has happened to me before sounds like what is going on with yours. Even though you change the belt it still might squeal. Check ALL the pulleys on the engine. After all these years they do get worn down to the point that only the edges of the belt are touching the pulleys.
BHawkmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #12
CadCaman
1983 CJ7 

I will check that.

Thanks
Unread 04-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #13
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If you do not know how to tension the belt properly ask.

In this age of automatic belt tensioners................
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #14
CadCaman
1983 CJ7 

OK how do you tension the belt correctly? I have been taking a prybar and jamming it between the alternator and the block and then prying it tight while tightening the 3/8" bolt on the adjuster bracket (curved and slotted piece).

I am guessing that isn't right.

Thanks,

Jeff
Unread 04-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #15
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

New belt 125-155 foot lbs. Used belt 90-115 foot lbs using a belt tensioner tool J-23600. Or You can push on it mid way and you should have at least 1/2 inch of deflection.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.