Alternator voltage, Need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Alternator voltage, Need help

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
rhbflyfish
1984 CJ7 

Alternator voltage, Need help

I have an 84 CJ7 with a AMC 360. The Jeep and Motor were rebuilt in 2007. It has a dual battery system and a MSD 6A ignition with MSD billet distributor.
The Jeep has been running fine until last weekend when it failed to start due to low batteries. After charging the batteries, I ran an alternator test and it failed. I took the alternator to the Zone where it was benched and failed. I purchased a rebuilt 78 amp alternator installed it and it still was not generating more than 12.5 volts and failed the alternator test on my tester . I returned the alternator where it was bench tested and passed. I than replaced the starter solenoid, removed and cleaned every terminal connector, battery terminal and ground wire. I returned that alternator and purchased a different brand and same result it will not pass the alternator test. I than ran a test directly from the alternator output stud and ground stud and still only have 12.5 volts, on the bench it read max 14.8 and averaged 13.5. I have double checked the belts and pulleys.
What am I missing? Is the ignition pulling that much voltage to cause this? I do not mind purchasing a heavy duty alternator; quadratec 100/70 amp, if that is the fix. PS. on another note in all the start/restart process the key broke off in the ignition switch, I would appreciate direction to the link with photos for the NON TILT WHEEL switch replacement instruction.

Thanks for the help

84 CJ7 w/AMC 360, Bored over, Crane cam, RPM, Performer 4bbl, MSD 6A, MSD Pro Billet, Hooker straight thrus,T177, 2.5 Suspension,33" BFG's on MT', chrome running bars, Warn 9.5ti, Body armor front and rear bumpers
rhbflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.