Alternator Bracket Problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Alternator Bracket Problem?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE KitsTruc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 01-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
Feenix

Alternator Bracket Problem?

Just bought a Delco Remey Alternator for the 76' AMC 304 that I'm putting in my jeep and the bracket that I have for the alternator doesn't quite fit. Anyone had this problem and if so how'd you fix it? I did a search and couldn't find a solution.

Thanks
Feenix

3" 4wd 31x11.5x15 BFG AT

01 TJ 4.0L Auto Yellow 33x10.5x15 BFG AT
Feenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2005, 02:23 PM   #2
cj75

if it's like mine, the bracket is an aluminum "C" shape. I did an alternator switch to the GM 1 wire version and the pully fan was too big to fit in the bracket. I was able to pencil the outline of the pully fan and simply cut that section of the bracket out using my jig saw with a metal blade. Sounds crude but it came out looking like a professional job, works great.
Be sure to cut only what you need so you don't weaken the bracket.
cj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
Geer_hed

What doesn't fit? Is the alternator spacer too wide/narrow for the bracket or something like that?
Unread 01-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
Feenix

The alt has 2 mounting points for the bracket...one is a non-threaded hole for the hinge point and the other is a threaded hole. The bracket is "C" shaped (click on sig for a pic of the 304 before it was rebuilt but it shows the bracket) and the top of the "C" is the hinge point and the bottom is elongated for adjustment of belt tension. Well on the Top part of the bracket is "U" shaped where a bolt would go from the front...then thru the alt...then to the back of the bracket. This would act as a hinge. Sooooo the prob is that the alt is too thick from front to back to fit in the bracket.

PICS of Alt/Bracket
3" 4wd 31x11.5x15 BFG AT

Last edited by Feenix; 01-12-2005 at 03:00 PM..
Unread 01-12-2005, 03:26 PM   #5
Geer_hed

Ouch... I've had to shave some spacers before, but that's a good bit of meat. You could still shave it down, but something tells me you've got a mismatch between year and bracket.

I see in your sig you have an 84 w/ a 304, but the engine this is going on is a 76 304? Are these two separate engines? I was thinking maybe you were rebuilding a 76 304 and got a strange bracket from another year/model. Is the spacer on the reman you just built as wide as your 85? Maybe you ought to go back to the store and tinker with different year alternators... Did you give up the core alternator or did you buy this one outright? I'm just thinking that in the time it would take you to hack that thing apart, you could just go to the store and get another one with a smaller spacer...
Unread 01-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #6
Feenix

I only have one engine (a 76' AMC 304) and it's going in my 84 CJ7. The bracket that was on the 304 I can only assume was the original. We tried looking at other alts at the store b/c I had the bracket with me but no luck. *scratching head* Hmmm...what to do, what to do?

Does it make sense that the pivot point is on top and the adjustment is on the bottom? Its opposite of others that I've seen.

Geer Hed - Any links to a parts catalog for anything earlier than 81'?
3" 4wd 31x11.5x15 BFG AT

Unread 01-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #7
knifeboy2

On my 304 the pivot is on top and the adjustment is on the bottom. But my PO decided to get creativ and instead of using the adjustment like is stock, he rigged up a turnbuckle so all I've gotta do is turn the damn thing and it tightens/loosens. Its both nice and a PITA.
Unread 01-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #8
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

My 76 bracket looks nothing like that.
Mine is actually 2 separate pieces and then a spacer.
The spacer goes behind the alternator and iwth a very long bolt goes through the top mount through the alternator, through the spacer and into the block.

The other end of the mount goes into the waterpump.

Then the other mount goes at the bottom of the alternator and over to the waterpump and this is where the adjustment is.

So, my alternator looks similar to yours, but the mount is totally different.

I have also tried another C-shaped bracket, but it didn't look anything like yours, it was aluminum and I had carved out a piece using a die grinder on it to get the alternator to fit the other 304.

I might have a pic at home of my setup, I will see when I get home.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2005, 07:57 AM   #9
Geer_hed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feenix
Geer Hed - Any links to a parts catalog for anything earlier than 81'?
No, unfortunately YJ stuff is much easier to come by. If it wasn't for the FSJ guys, I wouldn't have found that either. I'll keep poking around, but I'm glad to read someone else's 76 bracket looks different than yours. My 85 is obviously different with the slider on the top (which makes the most sense to me...)

If I find something, I'll post it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.