Alternator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Alternator

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 10-04-2002, 12:59 AM   #1
blackdog
1985 CJ7 

Alternator

I've got an 85 CJ-7 with the
258. I'm installing the mopar mpi
system and I've got a few off road
lights. As a result, I want to upgrage
the alternator from the stock model
to something with a little more juice.
Any suggestions? Who makes them
and how big (amperage) can I get?
More is better ..... ?

Any suggestions or help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2002, 06:02 PM   #2
CJ7Jeff

I found some good prices on high amperage alternators at www.4alterstart.com. I am thinking of going with the 130 amp one.
Unread 10-05-2002, 10:31 PM   #3
kyp

I can help

I rebuilt Starters and Alternators and made many mods for and type of tractor and vehicle from trucks (big and small) Limos(they need lotts of amprage) and Tractors.
The easyest way to upgrade you elect. system to handle your needs is naturally to change your alternator.Seeming you have a good battery (allways put the biggest battery that will fit)
What you need is a CS130 Alternator They came stock on your Chevy trucks. most of them are 110-130 amps.
You can get a used one from a junk yard but you need to know the mount type before you buy, Or you can go to an auto parts store and buy a new one. Request one for am 90 Buick Century.
It is a 110 amp alt. that has an straight up and down mount that will fit mostly any mount. It should handle all your needs. You also need the plug for the alt. you can cut one from a wrecked veh. any type will do as long as it is the same plug the diagram is simple if i remember off hand it is the white wire (bug wire) that will be going to your Battery positive for voltage sence and the brown wire for the ignition sence. This should do it I hope this helps you.
Kip
KD5TTZ(ham opperator)
Unread 10-06-2002, 09:32 AM   #4
CJ7Jeff

Kip,
What year of chevy trucks did the CS130 alternator come on? I am assuming that you would have to change the pulley? Another question is why pay 100 bucks or more for a 105 amp alternator when I can get a 130 amp alternator for 60 bucks from an alternator shop? Is there any reason why I should doubt the advertised output of the one from the alternator shop? If so I would like to know that way I don't wind up wasting money?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.