Alternatives to carrying a spare tire? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Alternatives to carrying a spare tire?

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 04-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #16
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I maybe should have added that both my trail Jeeps have bias ply tires. When I've compared my IROC's to my buddy's radial IROC's there is a difference in sidewall thickness. I run 4 psi in mine with beadlocks, he doesn't go below 8 psi. :-), with 0 psi in the front tire on my 5, the rim is still 4" from the road/trail surface.
Front and rear lockers also play a roll in this. Where someone with open diffs will try to avoid a large sharp rock, and slid into the side of it, I would drive over it.

No spare in my opinion is partially driven by who you wheel with, any of the club members in my group wouldn't hesitate to drive 20 miles on or off road to get the spare for another member if needed. I sat on a trail for 2 hours 2 years ago after removing the ignition module from the HEI, so another member could drive his J truck off a extreme trail, (Wa&hita) without needing to tow and winch.

Matt, I've Jeeped in the Black Hills in S.D. I've never seen rocks as sharp as these. Google or search youtube for "Fruity pebbles" For one of the trails. It's close to same in Southern Missouri.

OP, sorry about the kind of off topic, sometimes I get carried away. I get excited about taking my Jeeps on the trails.
Bill

1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #17
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

No sweat on the "thread creep".

And to be clear - I would not hit the trail without a spare - I'd only consider running without a spare on the street - and local at that.
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #18
S76
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the topic. Good to hear others opinions.

As of now I am planning not to carry a spare when driving local on the tar. Plugs, fix a flat, and a little compressor should get me home. Any trail riding in this area keeps you within walking distance to get out of the woods.

Plus I can always call my son to fetch me.
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #19
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

You should just hire a tow truck to follow you around, maybe the same one you had to haul your jeep in to get the brakes bled.
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #20
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan
No sweat on the "thread creep".

And to be clear - I would not hit the trail without a spare - I'd only consider running without a spare on the street - and local at that.
Funny how things are different, my DD CJ gets me to work, I wouldn't think about not having a spare tire on it.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:03 AM   #21
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

If you have a spare (5th tire), you can rotate them around periodically and actually increase the time before you have to buy new tires. (What a concept).
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #22
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Try to avoid using Fix-a-Flat if possible. Both tire places I go to say it can rust the insides of steel rims if you leave it in there long enough and throws the tire off balance, especially if its up front. I had a steel rim rusted bad on the inside from the PO using Fix-a-Flat. Its ok for an emergency situation to get you home, but better if you just have a spare to swap out.
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #23
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahwhy View Post
You should just hire a tow truck to follow you around, maybe the same one you had to haul your jeep in to get the brakes bled.
Still bent out of shape about my comment about you putting Warn stickers on your Chinese winch huh
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #24
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
Still bent out of shape about my comment about you putting Warn stickers on your Chinese winch huh
Not at all, you ask for an alternative to carrying a spare tire, and I gave you one. It may not be cheap, but with the looks of your rig, money is not one of your short comings, unlike me, with limited funds you get what you can afford at the time.
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #25
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Ive always carried a full size spare no matter the vehicle. I was up cutting firewood in the mountains of Montana, 10 ply Toyo Open Country, sliced the sidewall of the tire on a rock just twice the size as my fist on a well maintained forest service road. No cell service, no CB, nobody around for 20 miles. Cost of a cord of wood just jumped up.
The CJ7 only has 2 ply sidewalls, wanted 3 ply but also didnt want the extra weight of each tire.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #26
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

I have to say that I would rather have it and not need it, than need the spare and not have it! That just seems to be my luck usually!!!
Mlaughlin8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #27
Rattyflatty
1948 CJ2A 

I'm with the "have a spare tire along crowd". Being that I don't get to go wheeling that often, a gashed tire really puts a damper on quality wheeling time with no spare on board. I do also carry a plug kit and have a York compressor on my ride.

I don't know what you load into the rear of the CJ8 but have you though about rearranging your stuff to bring the spare inside the body? I done this years ago on my flatty vs swing out on the bumper and loved it. Mind you I had 35" on steel,10 gal fuel,high lift,4 way wrench and an ax on it.

Unread 04-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #28
Iceman_RNR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

usually I carry a spare on the trails as well as the street. On the trails I might not in case we need the back seat and/or the spare is close by in camp and easy to get in case the plugs and OBA won't get the job done. But we've even plugged tires with 2" gashes on the trail (no sewing with bailing wire or anything) and were able to drive them out ...
Never used the Slime stuff and never will ...
Just get good plugs and practice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.