Alternatives to carrying a spare tire? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Alternatives to carrying a spare tire?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

Alternatives to carrying a spare tire?

I've always been a fan of carrying a spare - the same size as the other 4 tires. But I'm beginning to question that. My CJ currently spends all of its time on the street, and when I finally do get it ready for the trail (couple small issues), it'll still spend most of its life on the street.

Tires don't seem to flat like they used to - credit the advancements in tire technology I guess. And, with 35" MTs, the cut side wall is even less of an issue. I just keep thinking about that 100lb 3' obstruction back there... rattling, blocking my vision, making it a (small) hassle to get things in/out of the bed... and thinking of options like a plug kit and compressor (used that a few times - on other people's cars).

Anyone done that - ditched the spare for a plug kit and compressor?

It'd also make it easier to carry bikes and gear - the receiver hitch, access, etc. I'd definitely use the spare for anything off-road.

Thoughts?
Thanks.

Unread 04-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Personally I like having a spare. It's probably more of a personal choice. There are pro's and con's to each. I'd rather not get stuck on the side of the road, at night or in bad weather fighting with a plug and compressor. While on the trail I like the peace of mind of having a spare, as you never know what could happen there.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

"Anyone done that - ditched the spare for a plug kit and compressor?"

And a can of fix a flat, in case you can't find the "object" that poked the tire.

The bigger wheels tend to have leverage and bounce (twist) the carrier.

So, yeah, I'd do it.
JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I detach my tire carrier from the bumper and run it for a total of five months throughout the year. If its an upcoming wheeling trip, I like to have a spare in case I lose a bead with the km2's but other than that, its coming off. I have AAA and cell service everywhere else not to mention a plug and seal kit and OBA if need be.
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Manhattan,

If I had your roll bar, and I didn't run a top, I'd look into mounting the spare on the angled portion at the rear of the cage.

I think you could get it high enough to not block your rear view.

Just a thought,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
Manhattan,

If I had your roll bar, and I didn't run a top, I'd look into mounting the spare on the angled portion at the rear of the cage.

I think you could get it high enough to not block your rear view.

Just a thought,

Matt
I wouldn't want to do this, it raises the COG.

To answer the original question . I carry a spare on my DD CJ.

On the trails I don't, of the group I wheel with, 1 out of 10 carries a spare. This is usually the Jeeper who drives his/her Jeep on the trip.

10 out of 10 of the non spare carriers have a spare, but it stays on the trailer. These same people also have OBA, a plug kit, and I also have a can of fix-a-flat, and spare valve stems.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
1983 CJ7 

I have not bought my spare but I too am questioning the need for a matching BFG KM2, a tall skinny radial would serve the purpose, be lighter, cheaper and I can put a spare tire cover on it. I have carried a Safety Seal plug kit since 2000 but I would not want to rely on it; on the other hand, I don't remember changing a flat since 2000 either.

I used to keep the offending artifacts but the box was getting hard to close so I chunked them and started over, right now I have 1/3 of a utility knife blade and a drywall screw from tires repaired in the last six months.

I was on a state draw hunt in San Angelo and returned to my Dodge to find a 3/8" lag bolt in the sidewall of my MT and losing air, I put two or three plugs in it and drove it almost a year before I replaced the tire.

Worth every penny and more.

Unread 04-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Here's a picture of a guys tire from Sunday. No spare, a few miles back in the woods, nobody to bail him out with a spare, all because he wasn't prepared. Luckily we had plugs and on board air.

Don't know how he drove it home, or even if he did.

I personally wouldn't want to be "that guy" that is that unprepared that I don't even have the most basic of needs when I go into the woods.

Throw a receiver on the front to carry the bikes.
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I'm with skizriz on this one. i wouldn't run without a spare. Sidewall tears don't plug easily.

Matt
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
I wouldn't want to do this, it raises the COG.

Bill
Well, yes, I suppose it would raise the COG...about as much as an average-sized passenger standing up in the back.

It rarely happens, Bill, but I have to disagree with you on this one. Having the spare on the cage wouldn't increase the COG any more than, say, a hardtop.

If Manhattan plans on putting this rig in situations where that little bit of COG will make a difference, then my hat's off to him.

Matt
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
1983 CJ7 

Matt,

In this case, I believe the spare would completely block out the view if mounted on that angled part of the roll bar.

Mounted on the top above the passengers are would look better and be completely out of the way.

OTOH, Manhattan is not asking about re-mounting a spare.
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Matt,

In this case, I believe the spare would completely block out the view if mounted on that angled part of the roll bar.

Mounted on the top above the passengers are would look better and be completely out of the way.

OTOH, Manhattan is not asking about re-mounting a spare.
Fair enough. I offered an opinion. Manhattan is free to ignore it, or not.

I will say, of the 3 tires i've blown in off-road situations, no amount of plugging would have repaired them. Fortunately, I had a spare in each case.

Of course, it depends on where you wheel. I'm not wheeling on 80-grit Moab rock, or muddy mid-western timbered trails. Some of the crap I roll over is rocky, sharp shale, or granite, that will slice a side-wall in a hurry.

Matt
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #13
1983 CJ7 

I am not griping at ya Matt
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

My doctor told me I have no alternative and I need to eat less and exercise to quit carrying my spare ...... man he's a downer.

In DD and wheeling I've needed spares so it would be hard to get me to go without one. I have AAA too but even on remote highways those guys can be 3+ hours out when I could be rolling again in 20 minutes or less.
The AAA is really more for my wife when I'm not around

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

It almost three years and 20,000 miles I haven't needed my spare yet. But I will always have it WHEN needed.
I could probably run on flat tires. I drove home about two miles Sunday with 8 psi in all four tires. Other than it riding better, I couldn't even tell a difference.

I know about two hours were wasted Sunday dealing with what should have been a 15 minute tire change. Kind of a bummer for others involved.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.