Alt has me in over my head!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Alt has me in over my head!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
elks96
1985 CJ7 

Alt has me in over my head!!!

So I was on Pirate and found this Thread...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...l#post27251057

Found a motor in a field that looked right etc. Well it is different. The PS side is perfect. But the alt is different and I am lost...

The alternator that matches the brackets is off a 1992 Wrangler with the 2.5L. I had thought the motor was out of an 88 but was wrong since the alternator did not fit the bracket at all. In the pirate thread there was an adapter that converted from the CJ style wires (the plastic 2 prong clip).

So I need to know if I can use this new alternator. What is internally regulated/externally regulated? Is there an alternator of this mounting style that will work? Is there an adapter plug?

Please help, I need to get this done soon as hunting season is apon us and elk back strap is tasty.

At any rate here is the alt. I have that fits the bracket:

The little words written in sharpie are just notes and mean nothing as I have no idea how this alt wires up. I am afraid that this alt is externally regulated and i need one internally regulated.

Do you have any idea how to wires this up? Currently I have the stock CJ 258 set up with the charge wire coming out and the 2 prong plastic clip.

Thanks a bunch for the help. I am afraid I bit off more than I can chew right now.

1985 CJ 7 258 bored/Cammed, MotorCraft Carb, Mallory Ignition, NP435/Dana 300, 4.5 RE Ex, 1.25 JKS Body Lift, Detriot AMC 20 Rear(detroit locker and Warn Hub Conversion), Herculined Tub, Chevy Heater Blower, 34" Swampers, Custom Rear Bumper, more to come....

1972 K5 8" lift, 36" swampers, lockers, custom paint.
elks96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
texasdave
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Uhh have you tried calling the tech support number on the alternator.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

There are posts over on the YJ forum on how to put an external regulator in when the computer craps out.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
elks96
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
Uhh have you tried calling the tech support number on the alternator.
LOL!!!! I could just see the utter lack of understanding on the guys face!!!!

I have reposted in the wrangler forum!
1985 CJ 7 258 bored/Cammed, MotorCraft Carb, Mallory Ignition, NP435/Dana 300, 4.5 RE Ex, 1.25 JKS Body Lift, Detriot AMC 20 Rear(detroit locker and Warn Hub Conversion), Herculined Tub, Chevy Heater Blower, 34" Swampers, Custom Rear Bumper, more to come....

Unread 08-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I'm not exactly familiar with that alternator in specific,
but it looks like it's EXTERNALLY REGULATED.

That means the engine management computer contains the voltage regulator.

Like I said, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't see space for a voltage regulator...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

You will need to graft in a external voltage regulator. Mopar used them.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
elks96
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the replies all. I have found an external voltage regulator set up that will allow me to use this set up. I just have a few questions:

1. The new set up requires a good key on 12v source to regulate from. Could the positive side of the coil supply this? Or is there a better source? The wire for supply is around 14 gauge.

2. On the old set up there was a brown exciter wire that went from near the wire wire harness into the back of the alternator. About 8" from the alt that wire split and also went over to the little silver box on the passenger fender. That box has 2 red with white strip wires. One leads up to a green relay box 3/4 of the way back to the fuse panel and the other went directly into the fuse panel. What would be the purpose of the little brown wire connecting there? Does it still need to be connected if it does not connect to the alt.

Thanks a bunch all. this has been a cool project so far and I will be doing a complete write up to share with everyone.

Unread 08-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
schardein
1983 CJ7 

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish? If you are converting to a serpentine belt, and have the original Delco alternator, you can get a serpentine pulley for it. The Delcos are good alternators and easy to rebuild. The unit you have pictured is an externally regulated one as others have said. Also a good alternator but not user serviceable as far as I know.

Delco alternators (10si, 12si) are old school now but very reliable and super easy and cheap to rebuild. I would consider keeping it if you are still running the 258.
schardein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

1, probably as good as any.

2 the excite resistor wire. Should be saved in case anyone else wants to go normal. CJ's did away with all the extra crap involved with an external regulator back in the 70's. Too many problems with them. Modern vehicles have the regulator built into the computer. Again they are way more problematic than the proper AC Delco which is why they have external band aids for them.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 08:57 PM   #10
schardein
1983 CJ7 

The Delco alternator requires the resistor wire, although it can be replaced with a regular wire with a small indicator bulb (not led!) wired in line with it. This actually has some advantages as a diagnostic aid which I could explain if you are interested. Either way the Delco needs to see some resistance in the exciter wire.

The externally regulated one will not use the resistance wire.
schardein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #11
elks96
1985 CJ7 

So the purpose of this swap is 2 fold. 1 is getting rid of the crappy factory bracket and belt set up. Which always seems to twist a little and eventually throw a belt. The other reason is this set up will allow me to run an onboard air setup using a factory compressor from a 94 yj.

The issue I am having is figuring out what the little silver box is on the passenger fender of my cj7. It is in the factory location and has the brown wire and the 2 red wires on it. It also has a short black ground wire grounding to itself. This is the factory little box and has 2 red wires into it. Just trying to figure it out so I understand where it all ties into this process!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.