Alpine Lizard Build Project - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Alpine Lizard Build Project

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 07-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #106
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv
I got the oil pan put back in last night, I'ts been off for about 2 weeks now

I don't think it will be on there long though. I'm pretty sure I botched the pan gasket install. I got a little heavy handed with the wrench and a corner of the gasket blew out and cracked. I'd just pull it back out tonight and redo it, but I used a ton of silicon sealer on the pan gasket, and I'm hoping the insides and the four corners held up and sealed. Time will tell, and its only a minor hassle to redo it, so whatever happens happens.

On the plus side. The black painted pan bots and the AMC metallic blue pan look fabulous under the rig! Maybe even too nice

Its strange looking at the pan color under sunlight versus under LED camera flash, Its a totally different color.
It looks so much bluer under the hood. And I like the black bolts too.

[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #107
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
It looks so much bluer under the hood. And I like the black bolts too.
Thanks I thought painting the bolts black would be a cool idea, plus the cardboard box helps organize them. I like under the hood blue better I think
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #108
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks I thought painting the bolts black would be a cool idea, plus the cardboard box helps organize them. I like under the hood blue better I think
Ya I do too. When it was just hanging I thought it looked more turquoiseish
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

Unread 07-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #109
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Looks really good. I wish I could do that. I bought my engine stand for $20. Do you have a spare harmonic balancer? Just asking because you said that you got one with the long block.
Nice find on the engine stand

As far as the harmonic balancer goes, I'm not sure what ill do with the one he gave me. It's still attached to the long block at the moment. I'll probably keep it with the long block, and my extra would be the one I'm currently using, so in a few months I'll have a spare
Unread 07-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #110
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I sold my old YZ 125 yesterday, and I got $850 out of the deal. Not bad for booking for $1000 but having blown fork seals and a super dented expansion chamber. I'll miss it, but I have more garage space now, and a little jingle. I still have two other dirt bikes to keep me company anyway.
Unread 07-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #111
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I sold my old YZ 125 yesterday, and I got $850 out of the deal. Not bad for booking for $1000 but having blown fork seals and a super dented expansion chamber. I'll miss it, but I have more garage space now, and a little jingle. I still have two other dirt bikes to keep me company anyway.
YZs are so much fun. I had an 83 YZ 80 but I blew a ring. Then I sold the bad engine for 200. Which is how much I bought it for. What kind of other dirt bikes do you have.

Unread 07-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #112
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Nice find on the engine stand

As far as the harmonic balancer goes, I'm not sure what ill do with the one he gave me. It's still attached to the long block at the moment. I'll probably keep it with the long block, and my extra would be the one I'm currently using, so in a few months I'll have a spare
I might take that off your hands when your ready to sell it.

Unread 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #113
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

The last few nights I've been trying to kick some serious *** on the jeep. On Wednesday, I put the flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, clutch linkage, transmission, and tcase on. I was super exhausted. But the clean, painted drivetrain and the black bolts look awesome! I'll post pics when its all done.

One bad thing, a flywheel to crank bolt was stripped It only held 60 ft lb or so before it went, and the worst part it its the treads on the crank that are bad. Oh well, I have five other bolts. Its pretty frustrating to have that happen, PO must have impacted them on at some point. I left the bolt in as tight as I could for balance, but its for show now.

Last night didn't go any better, the PO used a home made aluminum block adapter to lift the torque arm off the advance adapters t18 to d20 adapter so the torque arm wouldn't hit the tranny. This added another inch to the tcase drop kit though, and it looked stupid. So I grinded the heck out of the torque arm and tranny mount to make it fit without the homemade adapter. It was a little upsetting grinding on my beautiful new prothane tranny mount, but whatever. When I went to bolt everything up, I found another stripped set of threads in the t18 to d20 adapter. ARRRGH!! So I drilled it out and tapped it to 1/2" x 13, and I'll buy a bolt for it tonight on my way home.

I was still able to do a test fit on the skid plate, and, of course, the holes didn't line up at all without that dumb homemade adapter (I'm beginning to see why it was there), but I really want that extra inch of ground clearance. After that bit of new I quit for the evening, I will drill a couple new holes in the skid tonight, and hopefully be off the the races.

Once the tranny mount and skid are in place, I can heat up and bend my JB fab twin sticks into the right place. Right now they run right into the t18 shift pattern

Pic one is the tranny all set up to be pulled up into place through the tranny cover in the body
Pic two and three detail all the grinding and fitment the torque arm and tranny mount needed
image.jpeg   image_1.jpeg   image_2.jpeg  
Unread 07-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #114
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
YZs are so much fun. I had an 83 YZ 80 but I blew a ring. Then I sold the bad engine for 200. Which is how much I bought it for. What kind of other dirt bikes do you have.
Its true, YZs are the best two stroke race bikes. I really loved the 125, but I've moved on the something much more beastly.

Here is my RMZ 450. It was my resto project before the jeep. I blew the motor on it. Somebody before me lost some plastic in the case, and it eventually melted on the clutch on a snowy trailride (lots of clutch action) and clogged up the strainer which cut all the oil off going to the heads, and BOOM.

So I frame offed it and this is what she looks like today. Don't let the appearance fool you, I ride the living hell out of this bike!

I also have an RMZ 250 that I primarily keep around so my brother can use it, but every now and then, its nice to get on a bike that doesn't weigh 330 lbs.

The first three are pics of the RMZ 450, I don't have any of the 250, and the last two are of the YZ.
image.jpeg   image_1.jpeg   image_2.jpeg   image_3.jpeg   image_4.jpeg  

Unread 07-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #115
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I forgot to mention. I have stage 1 hot cams, hot rods crank, Athena 490 big bore kit, Boyesen super cooler, and two brothers full Ti pipe on the RMZ 450. Needless to say, I'ts a freaking beast!

And it looks like the 250 made it into the last shot.
Unread 07-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #116
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
I might take that off your hands when your ready to sell it.
If/when I get to that point, Its yours man!
Unread 07-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #117
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Its true, YZs are the best two stroke race bikes. I really loved the 125, but I've moved on the something much more beastly.

Here is my RMZ 450. It was my resto project before the jeep. I blew the motor on it. Somebody before me lost some plastic in the case, and it eventually melted on the clutch on a snowy trailride (lots of clutch action) and clogged up the strainer which cut all the oil off going to the heads, and BOOM.

So I frame offed it and this is what she looks like today. Don't let the appearance fool you, I ride the living hell out of this bike!

I also have an RMZ 250 that I primarily keep around so my brother can use it, but every now and then, its nice to get on a bike that doesn't weigh 330 lbs.

The first three are pics of the RMZ 450, I don't have any of the 250, and the last two are of the YZ.
Those are nice bikes. Now I just mainly ride on atvs. Then I have upgraded also to jeeps. I mainly enjoy anything with an engine.

Unread 07-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #118
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I forgot to mention. I have stage 1 hot cams, hot rods crank, Athena 490 big bore kit, Boyesen super cooler, and two brothers full Ti pipe on the RMZ 450. Needless to say, I'ts a freaking beast!

And it looks like the 250 made it into the last shot.
How fast is it? It's gotta be at least 130mph

Unread 07-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #119
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

One more for the road (if you cant tell, dirt bikes fire me up big time!)

This is a decent sized kicker by my house. After this shot, I measured 48 steps boot to boot from lip to rear tire mark. Its at least a 48' jump. Not a ton of air, but its a high third jump and it floats like butter.
image.jpg  
Unread 07-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #120
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
How fast is it? It's gotta be at least 130mph
Its all low end and torque. I've got it geared to run about 65 tops, which is about normal for a short track race bike. I run sand a lot, and even with all this power, I'm glad its geared so low.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.