#1 ·
UPDATE: here are a few pictures as of 8-24-17
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

here is a picture as of 12-16-14
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

ORIGINAL POST:

I'm sitting in DMV (bored as hell) waiting to get my new CJ5 registered. This seems like an appropriate time to make my build thread. I joined the forum about a month ago and have been pestering you guys even since. I'm excited as can be about this new project, and I can see myself broke as a joke and eating popcorn in just a few months.

Backstory: My dad loved old jeeps, but he was always taking care of us kids so he could never afford one. His love for them made me want one as I grew up. I finally graduated with my BS in mechanical engineering, and nailed an okay job, so I decided its time! I was cruising through Craigslist and found it! $3500 took it home. She has green MAACO paint and a couple of goofy dents, a part canvas part vinyl soft top that needs a couple windows replaced, and tore up seats. However, she's rocking a fesh new frame, newer body with pretty much no rust, a 2.5 in lift on softer springs, a T-18, Dana 20, and decent running 304 with 105,000 on it. I drove it home at 70 MPH with no issues.

Plan:

Stage 1: safety and functionality first. So it needs horns, seats, and street legal 4-point harnesses, plus whatever I need to make it function. Properly.

Stage 2: off road capability. SOA, 33x12.5x15s, high steer, ARBs, etc. I want to be able to kill a lot of the rubicon trail (I only live an hour from the trail head in Tahoe CA :))

Stage 3: classy appearance. I want to take it to a classic car show without being laughed off the strip. Hot August nights is a big classic car show around these parts and I want to enter it some day.

When I'm done, I want an offload beast that will crush the hills while dazzling street rod people, ya know, like Arnold Schwarzenegger in a tux. I will be doing it almost entirely myself (I just may have the tires mounted by schwab ;))

With that being said, here's a teaser pic. I promise I'll put more up soon.

Attachments

See less See more
#84 ·
Dadamsnv said:
Ironically, she has little finches.

1 gouldian finch (colorful one)
2 star finches (red faces)
2 owl finches (look like owls kinda)

The owls are cool because they "meow" like a cat!
That a big fancy cage for some small little birds.

#86 ·
I haven't done the engine, just the pan and trans and tcase. But I used rustoleum primer because it neutralizes the small pockets of rust that are easy to overlook.

#87 ·
Dadamsnv said:
I haven't done the engine, just the pan and trans and tcase. But I used rustoleum primer because it neutralizes the small pockets of rust that are easy to overlook.
Ok thanks. Are you going to do the engine?

#89 ·
Dadamsnv said:
Im buying a 304 long block on monday that I plan on rebuilding and painting, and eventually putting in the CJ. Unfortunately, mine is painted some dumb dark blue.
Long block?

#91 ·
Dadamsnv said:
It basically the whole motor besides the valve covers, intake and exhaust manifolds, timing cover, flywheel, and oil pan.

Or basically the fully assembled block along with fully assemble heads.
Oh ok I was thinking that it was a longer engine then normal.

What are you doing with your old engine?

#92 ·
The bottom end is pretty wore out, but the top end and pistons are in pretty good shape, I'll probably sell it on Craigslist. This one I'm buying is $100 and I'll sell mine for probably $300

#94 ·
8pitcher said:
That's not bad at all. You going to bore out the one your buying when you rebuild it?
Only if it needs it, and then the max I'd go is .030" over, but it's getting the works! I'm sending the block, heads, and the crank to a local motor shop to get completely refinished. Then I'll rebuild everything myself, and hopefully put an extra few ponies in it with a nice cam and some other mods ;)

#95 ·
Dadamsnv said:
Only if it needs it, and then the max I'd go is .030" over, but it's getting the works! I'm sending the block, heads, and the crank to a local motor shop to get completely refinished. Then I'll rebuild everything myself, and hopefully put an extra few ponies in it with a nice cam and some other mods ;)
Nice that what I'm doing with mine. I'm boring it though because I think it needs it and plus that only costs 100 for the whole block. Then 84 for a professional clean.

#102 ·
Here's that long block I've been squawking about. Like I said, got it for $100. The guy also gave me a flexplate, timing cover, harmonic balancer, oil pan, 2bbl motorcraft carb, and all the engine bolts. So basically I bought an 80% complete motor with a blown camshaft and distributor gears. I also bought this stand and lift for $150 from a totally different person on the same day. Not a bad day at all.

Attachments

#103 ·
My plan with this motor now is to pull the pan, and pull the main bearing caps to see what kind of shape the bottom end is in. If its cherry, I'll simply replace the cam bearings, cam, lifters, and distributor gearset. I'll probably do the rear main oiling mod and a couple more minor oiling mods to the front of the block while I'm in it. If its in bad shape, I'll slowly rebuild it as I have the money.

#104 ·
I got the oil pan put back in last night, I'ts been off for about 2 weeks now :(

I don't think it will be on there long though. I'm pretty sure I botched the pan gasket install. I got a little heavy handed with the wrench and a corner of the gasket blew out and cracked. I'd just pull it back out tonight and redo it, but I used a ton of silicon sealer on the pan gasket, and I'm hoping the insides and the four corners held up and sealed. Time will tell, and its only a minor hassle to redo it, so whatever happens happens.

On the plus side. The black painted pan bots and the AMC metallic blue pan look fabulous under the rig! Maybe even too nice :thumbsup:

Its strange looking at the pan color under sunlight versus under LED camera flash, Its a totally different color.

Attachments

#105 ·
Looks really good. I wish I could do that. I bought my engine stand for $20. Do you have a spare harmonic balancer? Just asking because you said that you got one with the long block.

#109 ·
Nice find on the engine stand

As far as the harmonic balancer goes, I'm not sure what ill do with the one he gave me. It's still attached to the long block at the moment. I'll probably keep it with the long block, and my extra would be the one I'm currently using, so in a few months I'll have a spare

#106 ·
Dadamsnv said:
I got the oil pan put back in last night, I'ts been off for about 2 weeks now :(

I don't think it will be on there long though. I'm pretty sure I botched the pan gasket install. I got a little heavy handed with the wrench and a corner of the gasket blew out and cracked. I'd just pull it back out tonight and redo it, but I used a ton of silicon sealer on the pan gasket, and I'm hoping the insides and the four corners held up and sealed. Time will tell, and its only a minor hassle to redo it, so whatever happens happens.

On the plus side. The black painted pan bots and the AMC metallic blue pan look fabulous under the rig! Maybe even too nice :thumbsup:

Its strange looking at the pan color under sunlight versus under LED camera flash, Its a totally different color.
It looks so much bluer under the hood. And I like the black bolts too.

#107 ·
Thanks :thumbsup: I thought painting the bolts black would be a cool idea, plus the cardboard box helps organize them. I like under the hood blue better I think

#108 ·
Dadamsnv said:
Thanks :thumbsup: I thought painting the bolts black would be a cool idea, plus the cardboard box helps organize them. I like under the hood blue better I think
Ya I do too. When it was just hanging I thought it looked more turquoiseish

#110 ·
I sold my old YZ 125 yesterday, and I got $850 out of the deal. Not bad for booking for $1000 but having blown fork seals and a super dented expansion chamber. I'll miss it, but I have more garage space now, and a little jingle. I still have two other dirt bikes to keep me company anyway.

#111 ·
Dadamsnv said:
I sold my old YZ 125 yesterday, and I got $850 out of the deal. Not bad for booking for $1000 but having blown fork seals and a super dented expansion chamber. I'll miss it, but I have more garage space now, and a little jingle. I still have two other dirt bikes to keep me company anyway.
YZs are so much fun. I had an 83 YZ 80 but I blew a ring. Then I sold the bad engine for 200. Which is how much I bought it for. What kind of other dirt bikes do you have.

#114 ·
Its true, YZs are the best two stroke race bikes. I really loved the 125, but I've moved on the something much more beastly.

Here is my RMZ 450. It was my resto project before the jeep. I blew the motor on it. Somebody before me lost some plastic in the case, and it eventually melted on the clutch on a snowy trailride (lots of clutch action) and clogged up the strainer which cut all the oil off going to the heads, and BOOM.

So I frame offed it and this is what she looks like today. Don't let the appearance fool you, I ride the living hell out of this bike! :2thumbsup:

I also have an RMZ 250 that I primarily keep around so my brother can use it, but every now and then, its nice to get on a bike that doesn't weigh 330 lbs.

The first three are pics of the RMZ 450, I don't have any of the 250, and the last two are of the YZ.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.