So, keeping up with the safety theme, I did a absolute ton of research on DOT approved four point harnesses. Turns out there is only one company I can find that makes them: Scroth. They make several nice race belts, are supported by all those (insert acronym) race organizations, and, best of all are DOT approved. I was concerned about the lap belt being safe for the lady friend and me, so I knew the four point would be a full time thing, but being glued to the seat sounded lame. It turns out, however, that Schroth makes a retractable four point that has an automatically locking spool just like a modern seat belt. I read a ton of reviews and It looks like with these harnesses I can maintain three point mobility with the added safety of a four point all in a DOT approved package. And talk about safe! Go to the website and watch some of their crash tests with these harnesses. They have an antisubmarine tech that works very well. Only bummer is the mounting point for the shoulders has to be the rear bench seat belt mounts, which will be annoying for backseat passengers. But I suppose I can keep the regular lap belts as well and simply use the quick disconnect to set the harness webbing aside while I have back seat passengers. Also they are a little pricey (Cheapest I found is $209 from Tunershop). With this great find I began looking at new seats meant for the four points. I quickly decided on the Corbeau Baja RS. Corbeau is an awesome company for jeeps seats. You can buy a whole lot of cheap crap these days, and it seems Corbeau is the real deal. Plus everyone online loves these seats, so I ordered some ($600 from Morris). I didn't buy brackets yet because I want to see how the seats fit without them. I will buy the harnesses when I have the dough.
In the meantime, I had some time to putter around and fix little things here and there while I waited an eternia for my axle kit. I started with the ugly t-18 shift lever. I pulled the shift lever out and pulled the dumb looking sedan shift knob off to find an mangled stump instead of thread underneath. I wish I had a pic of the poor thing. It looked like someone tried to grind the threads off and JB weld the universal ugly a$$ knob on. Thank god it didn't hold (I would still be trying to get it off). The shift lever was also covered in electrical tape, so i pulled it off to find a rust mess. I attacked it with loads of 180 grit and brought it to a shine pretty quick. I was going to paint it black, but the shiny steel with the sand paper marks in it was so cool, I decided to clear coat the shaft, and leave it looking bare. This of course all took place after the machine shop put 1/2" - 13 threads back on it a little further down the shaft ($50). I topped it all off with 8 ball I bought from a local pool hall. Drilling straight into a spherical object with a hand drill is NOT easy, AND the material the balls are made from does not obey the "when step drilling, the next larger bit will align to the smaller, previously made hole" rule. I got it threaded though, and it looks awesome on the shaft. I also ordered a new boot to put on it. I liked it so much I bought a 2 ball and a 6 ball for my future twin stick. I only threaded the 2 ball for now since I have a single stick t-case.
Last for this post, I relocated the rocker trim off of the fender hump to where it belongs which took some grinding. I attached a fixed side and an "original" side pic. This exposed some bare fiberglass, but whatever. Thanks PO.