Alpine Lizard Build Project - Page 146 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Alpine Lizard Build Project

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #2176
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

That looks nice. You should do something to waterproof that crimped butt splice. Some other type of connector would be better, like soldering the connection and having shrink tube covering it.

ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #2177
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroungerLee
That looks nice. You should do something to waterproof that crimped butt splice. Some other type of connector would be better, like soldering the connection and having shrink tube covering it.
That connector is inside the tub in an area where we see 6" of rain a year. Never the less, you are correct. I'll likely put a bit of electrical tape over it and call it good. Thanks for keeping me in line
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #2178
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Hey Gary,

Remember when I said my leaks are almost completely fixed? Well my t case doesn't leak anymore, but I just noticed some seeping out of my driver side front axle seal

You were right! I just had to go and open my big mouth.

On the plus side, this gives me the opportunity to replace my ball joints, change my fluid, and possibly add a spartan locker.
Unread 02-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #2179
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Round off the corners of the light bracket (if you haven't already). Give it the same contour as the light. Besides eliminating a snag point, it will look more finished. Nice work!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #2180
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
Round off the corners of the light bracket (if you haven't already). Give it the same contour as the light. Besides eliminating a snag point, it will look more finished. Nice work!
Great advice! But a tad too late I'm afraid.
image-106500210.jpg

image-814329282.jpg

image-3644231794.jpg

Unread 02-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #2181
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

For those who care to know, the green wire with the black tracer is NOT the driving light. It was right in my driver side light, but not in the harness. Or I could've screwed it up somehow. I dunno. All I know is the white wire without tracer is the driving light doh!
Unread 02-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #2182
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Under hood rattling is back with a vengeance! However, it isn't the air cleaner this time. I just couldn't see any collision marks in the tranny tunnel, and was running out of ideas. So I started grabbing things under the hood and shaking them.

The last thing I went to Shake was the steering shaft. Wouldn't you know it, the dan thin rattles up and down and made the same noise I was hearing. Apparently the bearing in charge of supporting the splined portion or the steering column in the engine bay is very bad.
Unread 02-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #2183
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

My PO rigged up (nicely) a heim and bracket to support the shaft. Works good. I can get you a pic if it will help.

WSS

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #2184
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS
My PO rigged up (nicely) a heim and bracket to support the shaft. Works good. I can get you a pic if it will help. WSS
Thanks, but the replacement bearing is $22. If that doesn't work, I'll have those pics.

This is also a good time to order the bell crank joint kit.
image-1650319745.jpg

Unread 03-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #2185
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Finally filed taxes last night. It's a modest return, but if we weren't saving for a house, my half would allow me to have some killer fun with the jeep. Oh well, maybe next year. Apparently there is another huge tax benefit for home buyers this year. So next tax season should be the boost the CJ needs.

This year was certainly better than last year. I ended up paying over $1500 to the IRS last year :S
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #2186
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

The wife and I have set a soft target date to hit the rubicon with jeep jamboree in late august. But first this checklist must be filled out:

Front spartan locker

Rear locker (optional)

4" RE lift and YJ conversion (possible shackle reversal at the same time)

33x12.5x15 toyo MTs on 10" wheels

Rocker armor

Tummy tuck skid plate

Beefy diff covers
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #2187
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

With your welding skills, the diff covers will be an easy one to knock off the list. For rocker armor, 4x4x1/4 or 3/16 angle works good, the other stuff............$$

From experience, I can say "think it through" LOL. The cost savings is worth it. This weekend I built my shock hoops BEFORE I had the shocks. Now, the second time I get to build them will be much easier. I wanna kick myself. I was all set to use 11x2 shocks, then a set of 12x2 w/res become available, hoops are 2" too short.

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #2188
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I will most definitely be welding the rocker armor, tummy tuck, and diff covers. I can save loads of money this way

That's a bummer about the shock hoops, but they are looking good!
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #2189
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
With your welding skills, the diff covers will be an easy one to knock off the list. For rocker armor, 4x4x1/4 or 3/16 angle works good, the other stuff............$$

From experience, I can say "think it through" LOL. The cost savings is worth it. This weekend I built my shock hoops BEFORE I had the shocks. Now, the second time I get to build them will be much easier. I wanna kick myself. I was all set to use 11x2 shocks, then a set of 12x2 w/res become available, hoops are 2" too short.

I am so there with you!!!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #2190
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Time to consult the experts. In looking for new axle seals for the D30, I noticed they offer inners and outers. So the question is: does the CJ D30 actually use an outer axle seal? If so, when I replaced my ring and pinion, I only had inners and only replaced inners.

I aim to replace ball joints, axle seals, and diff cover with a beefier one as well as install a spartan locker all in one shot. So I'll start hoarding parts for that this week.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.