Alpine Lizard Build Project - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Alpine Lizard Build Project

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #181
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
I'm gonna take over then in a few months then.

What happened to your radiator? Just a big hole or?
It had a JB welded fill neck, and was very slowly leaking form 3 spots. I knew this a while ago, but I figured I'd drive it a bit before I dug into it. Also, its super duper old, and it only has 1 core.

I bought a cheapy 3 core at summit. its painted black, which I think is stupid, but whatever. It'll get me by.

Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #182
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv

It had a JB welded fill neck, and was very slowly leaking form 3 spots. I knew this a while ago, but I figured I'd drive it a bit before I dug into it. Also, its super duper old, and it only has 1 core.

I bought a cheapy 3 core at summit. its painted black, which I think is stupid, but whatever. It'll get me by.
How much for that new radiator.
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #183
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sgt-cu583

They say it has an auto tranny cooler, but it doesn't, and that's just fine with me.
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #184
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sgt-cu583

They say it has an auto tranny cooler, but it doesn't, and that's just fine with me.
Auto tranny cooler doesn't really matter though you got a manny tranny right? I may look into a new radiator if mine doesn't work but the. One I have looks brand new so I won't know till its mounted.
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

Unread 08-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #185
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Yeah, manny tranny, so it's actually better than I'd hoped.
Unread 08-09-2012, 01:12 AM   #186
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, manny tranny, so it's actually better than I'd hoped.
Hey better is good.

Unread 08-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #187
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Over the last few days, I've been tearing apart the front of my 304 to fix a leak in the timing cover, and to take stock of what shape the timing set and cam gears are in. Lucky for me, both the timing set and the cam gears look very new. I did replace the oil pump though, and I lapped the oil pump cover to make some better pump clearance, and to give the new pump a place to make its own wear pattern instead of eating up the old pattern.

I painted the timing cover and the water pump with AMC metallic blue. I was going to sand blast the parts first (and buy a new water pump), but I decided I didn't want to spray sand into the oil passages that bad, and summit was out of every water pump they carry for AMC V8s. I could have and cleaned the cover out real well, but I just sprayed over the old paint after a really good solvent spray and clean session. Pics to come shortly. If I get her all back together on Saturday, I can cruise Hot August Nights this weekend in style!
image.jpeg   image_1.jpeg   image_2.jpeg   photo-1-.jpg   image_3.jpeg  

Unread 08-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #188
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Here are some more pics. The upload feature kind of screwed me out of some pics and then rearranged them, whatever.
image-1.jpeg   image_2-1.jpeg  
Unread 08-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #189
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I will have to check to make sure the oil passages in the cam, fuel eccentric, and cam gear line up. I dont see any goof wear, but it also looks pretty new, so... who knows. better check while I'm this deep.
Unread 08-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #190
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Oil passage to the dizzy is free and open. I pulled the bolt and washer, and fed some little wire thought the notch. It went in about 5 inches which is perfect. Also here is the painted timing cover and water pump.
image-3705563810.jpg  
Unread 08-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #191
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oil passage to the dizzy is free and open. I pulled the bolt and washer, and fed some little wire thought the notch. It went in about 5 inches which is perfect. Also here is the painted timing cover and water pump.
Love the color. Looks really good. Next will be valve covers I guess right? Oh and how much play is in your timing chain I'm debating whether or not I need to get a new one.

Unread 08-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #192
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

That AMC blue really makes an engine POP! Good job Dad.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2012, 02:43 AM   #193
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Thanks guys

I painted over the old paint in favor of not spraying sand into the oil pump, so it's a little lumpy in spots, but looks WAY better, I'm glad you like it!

It turns out fel pro's complete timing cover gasket set doesn't come with a water pump gasket or a harmonic balancer seal despite being shown In the picture. Good grief. I was hoping to have the cover and pump on tonight, but that's life. I guess I'll be driving it Sunday instead of all weekend.

I was able to get a water pump gasket, but the seal was at napa, too far away. Here is the water pump sealed up with black bolts. I also filed the paint off of the timing marks to make the aluminum stand out.
image-1122258879.jpg   image-4179267179.jpg  
Unread 08-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #194
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I hit my timing marks with a tiny bit of the rattle can metallic silver. I have no idea about long term durability, but it is SUPER EASY to see at thie time.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #195
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
I hit my timing marks with a tiny bit of the rattle can metallic silver. I have no idea about long term durability, but it is SUPER EASY to see at thie time.
That's a good ide., I thought about the bare metal being a problem. It's Aluminum, but who knows. I'll probably put some clear over that spot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.