Alpine Lizard Build Project - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Alpine Lizard Build Project

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #151
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
Looks really good.
thanks man!

Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #152
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv

thanks man!
No problem. Like the color.
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #153
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I had a leak free CJ for 1 day, BUT I still have a drip free CJ, for now. I have a seeping PTO gasket (I'm gonna buy a fancy Novak PTO cover and seal to fix that). I have a seeping front driveline output shaft seal on the D20 (it's because the yolks seal surface is pitted. I half expected it. I'll buy a new yolk and seal from Novak). I have a leaky oil pump cover (may as well rebuild it). I have a bonafide leak from my dana 30 pinion seal (guess I'll try to reseal it without removing the pinion). And a little oil at the base of my tranny (I'm hoping it's from the new pilot bushing I purposely over-oiled and not the rear main).

At least none of these keep me from driving her

I took a real quick cruise into the hills and putted around in first gear real slow, I can tell this is gonna be a good friendship
Unread 07-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #154
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's awesome dude. Anything else major you have to do?

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

Unread 08-01-2012, 01:16 AM   #155
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher
That's awesome dude. Anything else major you have to do?
Eventually I want to rock an SOA on 35s widened out a bit, ARB lockers front and rear, and a nice straight body painted glossy flat battleship or gunmetal gray.

As far as what I have to do to get her into normal shape, I have to replace all my shackle hangers (bent), replace the windshield fluid system (mine is missing), replace the windshield wiper motor (doesn't have one), go through the brakes and front axle and replace stuff as I need, 4 new shocks, notch my rear wheel wells to fit my seats, and add 4 point harnesses.
Unread 08-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #156
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Eventually I want to rock an SOA on 35s widened out a bit, ARB lockers front and rear, and a nice straight body painted glossy flat battleship or gunmetal gray.

As far as what I have to do to get her into normal shape, I have to replace all my shackle hangers (bent), replace the windshield fluid system (mine is missing), replace the windshield wiper motor (doesn't have one), go through the brakes and front axle and replace stuff as I need, 4 new shocks, notch my rear wheel wells to fit my seats, and add 4 point harnesses.
I'm doing SOA since I'm building from scratch pretty much. It will be nice though. For the hangers prolly replace the shackles too and get the grease able ones.

I Amy have a spare wiper motor. I gotta check to make sure one of them works but I do know the one with my cj7 worked.

Unread 08-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #157
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

That would be pretty cool!
Unread 08-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #158
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That would be pretty cool!
I will let you know if I can part with one of them.

Unread 08-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #159
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

last night I bought a timing light and set my idle/base (vacuum advance plugged) timing to 8*-9*. I used the vacuum gauge to set the timing earlier and that ended up being at about 14*, but there wasn't any knock/ping/detonation with that tune, so I was expecting the jeep to run worse once I set it to 8*-9*. At the same time, I put one size leaner main jets in (I should've done them separate from the timing, but whatever). This morning, was harder to start, ran like hell, like really bad, super rich visible soot from the tail pipe ect. I still have great vacuum at idle, and my very low RPM cruise is fine, which tells me I need more centrifugal advance. The hard to start thing is another issue I may have to hammer out by advancing the base timing slightly.

The thing that confused me the most was I had a lot less power and some hesitation off the line than before, but I didn't change that part of the circuit. Then, when I got to work, it hit me. I forgot to make sure the accel pump arm was properly hooked up when I put to bowl on after changing the jets.

A quick vacation outside to check under the hood, and sure enough, the pump arm is dangling free. I usually pump the gas once or twice to get some fuel into the manifold when I start her cold, and that fuel comes from the accel pump, so thats probably why she was hard to start. I will investigate this tonight.

I will buy some centrifugal springs tonight and play with the midrange a bit.

As a side note, it turns out the oil pump isn't leaking, its a dumb *** hole in the timing cover someone tried to fill with silicon

The timing cover will have to come off so I can fix the hole or put a new one on. On the plus side, it will get painted my pretty AMC blue along with the water pump
Unread 08-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #160
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Dad... If you have the opportunity, I would appreciate it if you can make detailed pics of your advance issues. I want to see how you change the springs, etc.

Glad you found the accelerator pump disconnected. Those kinds of fixes are the very best ones to find!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #161
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Dad... If you have the opportunity, I would appreciate it if you can make detailed pics of your advance issues. I want to see how you change the springs, etc.

Glad you found the accelerator pump disconnected. Those kinds of fixes are the very best ones to find!
You got it, I'll document it all
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #162
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

So I borrowed a tool kit from work and a plastic cup and some bathroom towels for my lunch break. I went to the CJ, and drained the bowl into the cup, pulled the bowl, and put it back on with the accel pump arm in place. All was well and good until I turned around to grab my fuel cup to pour the fuel back into the carb. I found a gooey mess on the concrete ledge in the parking garage. Apparantly, this cup is no mere plastic! I was still able to eventually get her started and running on fumes. Accel pump back online in 7 mins.
image.jpeg   image_1.jpeg   image_2.jpeg   image_3.jpeg  
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #163
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I made it a few miles, and the poor jeep ran worse and worse. There was so much black smoke! I pulled over in a McDonalds parking lot. I had the tool kit still, and I had my vacuum gauge hooked up in the cab, so I went ahead and retimed the base timing to the vacuum gauge (advance the dist until the vacuum stops increasing, then retard until the reading is 1 in Hg lower than max, and bolt it down) except I did .5 in Hg because I had my doubts I was getting home. After an angus burger with bacon, i made my way home. I was able to limp the 8 miles or so back and she died 20 yards from the garage. i was able to start her again and barely made it into the garage. I called the boss, told him the story, hopped in the ram, and went back to work where I sit now.

Upon entering the garage, I noticed black sooty splotches on the stuff next to the exhaust pipes in the garage from this morning. Goodness.

I'm pretty much %100 certain that the 79 main jets I put in the carb last night are mislabled or something. I bet they are more like fuel fire hoses. I went from 80 to 79 (leaner) and ran soooo rich that they have to be more like 89s. I will pull them tonight and see. I will also have to pull the plugs and scrape them off I'm sure.

As added proof of how rich it was, I burned 2/3 of a tank of fuel today in less than 30 miles!!!
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #164
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Here is a pic of me at McD's

And a pic of how I plugged the vac advance for the base timing tuning. Yup that a 1/4" extension pushed into the rubber elbow
image.jpeg   image_1.jpeg  
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #165
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I made it a few miles, and the poor jeep ran worse and worse. There was so much black smoke! I pulled over in a McDonalds parking lot. I had the tool kit still, and I had my vacuum gauge hooked up in the cab, so I went ahead and retimed the base timing to the vacuum gauge (advance the dist until the vacuum stops increasing, then retard until the reading is 1 in Hg lower than max, and bolt it down) except I did .5 in Hg because I had my doubts I was getting home. After an angus burger with bacon, i made my way home. I was able to limp the 8 miles or so back and she died 20 yards from the garage. i was able to start her again and barely made it into the garage. I called the boss, told him the story, hopped in the ram, and went back to work where I sit now.

Upon entering the garage, I noticed black sooty splotches on the stuff next to the exhaust pipes in the garage from this morning. Goodness.

I'm pretty much %100 certain that the 79 main jets I put in the carb last night are mislabled or something. I bet they are more like fuel fire hoses. I went from 80 to 79 (leaner) and ran soooo rich that they have to be more like 89s. I will pull them tonight and see. I will also have to pull the plugs and scrape them off I'm sure.

As added proof of how rich it was, I burned 2/3 of a tank of fuel today in less than 30 miles!!!
That sucks man. Boss understanding?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.