JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Alpine Lizard Build Project (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/alpine-lizard-build-project-1381360/)

Dadamsnv 06-14-2012 06:38 PM

Alpine Lizard Build Project

1 Attachment(s)
I'm sitting in DMV (bored as hell) waiting to get my new CJ5 registered. This seems like an appropriate time to make my build thread. I joined the forum about a month ago and have been pestering you guys even since. I'm excited as can be about this new project, and I can see myself broke as a joke and eating popcorn in just a few months.

Backstory:

My dad loved old jeeps, but he was always taking care of us kids so he could never afford one. His love for them made me want one as I grew up. I finally graduated with my BS in mechanical engineering, and nailed an okay job, so I decided its time! I was cruising through Craigslist and found it! $3500 took it home. She has green MAACO paint and a couple of goofy dents, a part canvas part vinyl soft top that needs a couple windows replaced, and tore up seats. However, she's rocking a fesh new frame, newer body with pretty much no rust, a 2.5 in lift on softer springs, a T-18, Dana 20, and decent running 304 with 105,000 on it. I drove it home at 70 MPH with no issues.

Plan:

Stage 1: safety and functionality first. So it needs horns, seats, and street legal 4-point harnesses, plus whatever I need to make it function. Properly.

Stage 2: off road capability. SOA, 33x12.5x15s, high steer, ARBs, etc. I want to be able to kill a lot of the rubicon trail (I only live an hour from the trail head in Tahoe CA :))

Stage 3: classy appearance. I want to take it to a classic car show without being laughed off the strip. Hot August nights is a big classic car show around these parts and I want to enter it some day.

When I'm done, I want an offload beast that will crush the hills while dazzling street rod people, ya know, like Arnold Schwarzenegger in a tux. I will be doing it almost entirely myself (I just may have the tires mounted by schwab ;))

With that being said, here's a teaser pic. I promise I'll put more up soon.

85LaredoCJ7 06-14-2012 07:38 PM

Don't forget about the 8274....

Dadamsnv 06-15-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85LaredoCJ7
Don't forget about the 8274....

Totally. I almost want to get stuck just so I can use it.

I tried to get "Lizard" on my license plate, but it was taken. Sad day.

BagusJeep 06-15-2012 02:52 AM

Looks like a good start. The first Jeep is the one you remember.

Dadamsnv 06-15-2012 10:15 AM

4 Attachment(s)
So I have it back in the garage again (Dana 20 had no oil and a huge leak), and I didn't take a bunch a pictures before hand, so I'll post what little I have. I put on the Spectre air cleaner after finding the K&N in it was too small and full of holes, but for the most part, It has a lovely tangle of plug wires draped over everything, moist spots everywhere, a rampantly leaking power steering resevoir, JB welded radiator, bent fan, and uncovered wires everywhere. The passenger side of the tub is the worst spot for body damage, there is a small dent in the tailgate area (there isn't a tailgate, just a weird panel), and what looks like some small hood dents around the hinges.

Dadamsnv 06-16-2012 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I'm about a month ahead at this point, so I'll just post stuff here and there until I catch up.

So the first thing I tried to do with the jeep was smog it. It wasn't running super well (like 20% fire on one cylinder), and I had no idea what the problem could be, so I figure smog would either pass or tell me what was wrong. Sure enough, no pass, and the smog number's consensus says "needs tune up"

I took it home and started pulling plugs to check the color and the gap. It turns out the drivers side was right on at .045" (HEI spec) while the passenger side was way off at .035" (stock spec). Thanks PO. The plugs looked pretty darn new, so I brushed them and gapped them and put em back. The were looking a little black, but I knew it was tuned too rich. One plug was really wet and black, and I knew instantly this was the problem cylinder. I looked at the plug wire and instantly notice the issue in the first pic. No wonder it felt like it was missing. I grabbed an old wire out of my box of bones, and slapped it on. Runs a billion times better.

Oh and I forget to mention, the Jeep came with an HEI, but it has no brand markings on it, so I'm guessing it's a summit brand? It also had 8mm summit wires, and summit has a replace a wire kit so I was able to get a single plug wire and have a matching set for $15!

I also did a brake fluid change and adjusted the rear drums, but I found a lovely suprise in the driver side drum. To be continued...

85LaredoCJ7 06-16-2012 11:11 PM

I think it would be sweet if you could get LOTLZRD on your plate. Try that instead.

Dadamsnv 06-17-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

I think it would be sweet if you could get LOTLZRD on your plate. Try that instead.

You'll have to excuse me, i'm slow. What does it mean?? My guess is "lot lizard" and that makes me think you're calling it a parking lot crawler. Grrr! ;)

85LaredoCJ7 06-17-2012 01:13 PM

Nahh man.....its perfect....it's like a oxymoron, or cliche...

Dadamsnv 06-17-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Nahh man.....its perfect....it's like a oxymoron, or cliche...

Whoah. Existential.

I like it!

But I already settled for generic brand x numbers :(

85LaredoCJ7 06-17-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadamsnv (Post 13734319)
Whoah. Existential.

I like it!

But I already settled for generic brand x numbers :(

Never to late to change. I'm going down for my classic plates tomorrow.

Dadamsnv 06-17-2012 01:57 PM

Sweet! Are you getting any personalizing?

Maybe when I've got her lookin really sharp I'll make it personalized.

85LaredoCJ7 06-17-2012 02:02 PM

You better snatch that up before somebody else beats you to it.

No personalizing for me.

Dadamsnv 06-17-2012 02:57 PM

Haha, maybe I will

hutch1200 06-17-2012 06:15 PM

You old farts...hazing the new guy. Lot Lizard=truck stop hooker! BTW, our goals are the same. Trail tough, clean enough to do amateur shows, and fast enough to scare me. For a while! Then..

The time now is 01:48 AM.