Almost time to paint my project (fiberglass body). Advice on priming? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Almost time to paint my project (fiberglass body). Advice on priming?

Free Flowmaster Gear from Black Friday to Cyber Monday!!!!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueCorbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!

Unread 04-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Almost time to paint my project (fiberglass body). Advice on priming?

The Jeep runs, and I've started taking it apart to prime and sand metal hood and grill, new windshield frame on order, and glass tub and fenders mounted.

Its time to prime it all, then take my first pass at painting a car myself. I'm planning to get a spray gun from Harbor Freight, wet the floor, vent the garage, etc... but what type of primer do I need for the fiberglass? Paint recs? Where does one buy automotive paint for a DIY?

Unread 04-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I used a valspar enamel on mine with an epoxy primer. Get as good a gun as you can afford. The more you spend the better the result. Here is mine in primer & paint

forumrunner_20130416_012229.jpg

forumrunner_20130416_012315.jpg

Dave in Muskegon
dg6772 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yeah don't forget the mask and plastic sheeting.

The sheeting is cheap and makes cleanup easy.

The mask is important if you want to breath easy for the rest of your life.

I got all my paint at local pain stores. Just check your phone book for local stores.
I got everything, paint primer thinner, mask, sandpaper. And a lot of tips.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

Should be no difference in primers. I used to work in a Corvette specialty shop, no difference
in the primers we used between fiberglass and metal cars. Just remember to wet sand after
you prime. The more work you do to prep (correctly), the better the finished product will come
out. Take your time.
JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Oreilly and napa sell auto paint. Not all stores, but they can get it. Oreilly carrys nason which is a DuPont. Not sure on napa. Or go to the yellow pages to your local automotive paint supply.

Good gun and good mask are must haves. Watch eBay for guns.

Look at your paint product and get the recommended tip size. Your HF gun has a 1.4 mm tip. Too big for auto paint.

Too much nozzle will shoot too much paint which will make sags, runs, and trouble, and you won't be able to adjust out of that.

And remember if you get a sag, run, orange peel, other paint maladies, it isn't the End of the world. That's when you get to color sand and buff/polish.

Watch YouTube. Read. Learn. It isn't hard, just takes some practice and doing. And good preparation.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
cj7ole
1984 CJ7 

I used epoxy primer on my fiberglass body. Works well on most everything. Went with House of Kolor as I wanted no issues with their topcoats of the color I wanted. Here is my paint thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/my-paint-job-893564/
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hal, stop by and talk to these guys http://braintree.patch.com/listings/...tomobile-paint
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Thanks cj7ole - your thread was one of the few I found and read through on painting a glass body.

The gun I was looking at from Harbor Freight was "2 Piece Professional Automotive HVLP Spray Gun Kit". Small and large gun, with 1.4 tip for paint, 1.0 for primer. What other guns should I be looking at? I will never paint another car besides this Jeep (maybe multiple times).

Thanks JrTjk - Right down the street from me. The challenge will be getting there 8-5 M-F. Maybe I can call them and discuss what I need. Thinking of a white paint job, which should also hide imperfections...
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Epoxy primer is well worth the money. Look for ppg automotive paint supplier.
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Look at Southern polyurethanes (spi). Limited color choices, but white is one that they offer
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
Pirate40

1977 CJ5 

Nice color!!!

Unread 04-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
cj7ole
1984 CJ7 

And be sure your mask is intended for automotive paints, not just a dust mask, you need a good dual filter 3M style face mask.
Unread 04-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeePete View Post
Should be no difference in primers. I used to work in a Corvette specialty shop, no difference
in the primers we used between fiberglass and metal cars. Just remember to wet sand after
you prime. The more work you do to prep (correctly), the better the finished product will come
out. Take your time.
You are local... you don't happen to paint cars on the side still, do you?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.