All Inclusive list of Bolt sizes on CJs - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > All Inclusive list of Bolt sizes on CJs

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 12-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #16
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
If you find a factory 82 CJ8 with an original 304, be sure and register it at the Scrambler registry.
Never seen or heard of that one

LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #17
SuperSportCJ
1982 CJ7 

I used Totally Stainless's bolt kit for my 304 when I just rebuilt it a couple months ago and these bolts are not too strong, I broke the head off of two of them doing nothing more than tightening them. One was an intake bold and one was a valve cover bolt. I dont "crank down" on these bolts either. It does say they have specific torque specs and send you a sheet with them saying the torque but it isnt very easy to read. I couldnt belive how little torque it took to break the head off, especially for the valve cover, I only ever torque them down enough so they put a slightly snug seal on the gasket.
SuperSportCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #18
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
Alright, Ive had this idea for a while and I think it would be EXTREMELY helpful to all for that quick reference. I would like to document EVERY bolt size and type (grade 8, 5, stainless, etc) that could/should be used.

I would be more than happy to keep track of the list and update it and categorize it. Im thinking split it into two main catagories, Body and Frame and Drivetrain. With subcatagories for engines, trannys, and axles. Of course it will be specific to CJ5, 6, 7 and 8. Im going to try and keep it as organized as possible.

I know it sounds like a large undertaking but I think if we all contribute it wont be to bad and more than worth it!!

cheers!

Ben
Ben it honestly sounds like a cool list to have but there is a lot of time involved to document each fastener on a jeep, not to mention the differences between years, makes, and models. Think about this, when would you use this list? The two possibilities are when you are wanting to replace a fastener you already have or when you find a missing fastener you need to replace. In the first scenario you already have the fastener and already need to go to Lowes. It takes no longer of a time investment to just bring the fastener with you and use their handy size / thread count device to determine what it is. In the other scenario of replacing a lost fastner you still need to go to Lowes so no added time there. The only added time is determining what size and thread count you need which is easy enough to do. So lets say that takes 5 minutes. Over the lifetime of owning your jeep I bet there is way less than 20 times that you have to replace a missing fastner. So thats 1hr 40min of time over the life of owning you jeep vs the possibility 100's of man hours required to create and maintain a list of fasteners not just for you jeep but for all the cj years, makes, and models. In the time I spent rambling on about this I probably could have determined 3 missing bolt sizes.

Anyway sounds like a cool idea, I would save a copy on the computer if there was one, but realistically I am sure there are plenty of other things to do on your jeep than make this list.

PS - Not trying to insult your idea.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 06:13 PM   #19
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Ben it honestly sounds like a cool list to have but there is a lot of time involved to document each fastener on a jeep, not to mention the differences between years, makes, and models. Think about this, when would you use this list? The two possibilities are when you are wanting to replace a fastener you already have or when you find a missing fastener you need to replace. In the first scenario you already have the fastener and already need to go to Lowes. It takes no longer of a time investment to just bring the fastener with you and use their handy size / thread count device to determine what it is. In the other scenario of replacing a lost fastner you still need to go to Lowes so no added time there. The only added time is determining what size and thread count you need which is easy enough to do. So lets say that takes 5 minutes. Over the lifetime of owning your jeep I bet there is way less than 20 times that you have to replace a missing fastner. So thats 1hr 40min of time over the life of owning you jeep vs the possibility 100's of man hours required to create and maintain a list of fasteners not just for you jeep but for all the cj years, makes, and models. In the time I spent rambling on about this I probably could have determined 3 missing bolt sizes.

Anyway sounds like a cool idea, I would save a copy on the computer if there was one, but realistically I am sure there are plenty of other things to do on your jeep than make this list.

PS - Not trying to insult your idea.
2 things:

1.GAH! My thread blew up overnight!!

2.I feel overtime it would be something that is usefull. Plus its something I can screw around with It would come in handy for me atleast. I.E. I am missing 2 bolts to my oil pan. It would be easier for me to glance at the chart and head to Lowes than to climb under the jeep try 3-4 different bolts, possibly find the right one. I like my idea better

Ben
Unread 12-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #20
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

or pull one bolt out of oil pan before you head to lowes.......just a thought but i understand what you mean about a list but wow that would be extensive. good luck

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
bamasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 07:53 PM   #21
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Well best of luck to you on you project. Like I said would love a copy if you ever get it done.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #22
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

All I've been asking is that, as you all work on your rigs, you note the sizes of screws and where they're used (year/model/engine, what axle if an axle screw, what transmission if a transmission screw, ...)

You're particularly likely to get this information if you have to replace any screws - then I definitely want to know!

As I get information, I'll be adding it to the chart I'm trying to keep online for reference.

And I want to go all the way back to 1941, if I can (I've also been trying to collect FSMs going back to 1946, if not 1941, for a reference collection. It's a research expense for me - therefore deductible!)
Unread 12-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #23
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

I need to know what size nut is used for a pto driven T-1 air compressor pulley
Unread 12-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #24
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
All I've been asking is that, as you all work on your rigs, you note the sizes of screws and where they're used (year/model/engine, what axle if an axle screw, what transmission if a transmission screw, ...)

You're particularly likely to get this information if you have to replace any screws - then I definitely want to know!

As I get information, I'll be adding it to the chart I'm trying to keep online for reference.

And I want to go all the way back to 1941, if I can (I've also been trying to collect FSMs going back to 1946, if not 1941, for a reference collection. It's a research expense for me - therefore deductible!)
It looks like its just you and me!! Im going to try and add to this list best I can and keep up with it.

yes to everyone, I know there are more than 2 engine options. I was just going off the most common with jeeps. (IMO) you gotta start somewhere!

Ben
Unread 01-03-2011, 04:11 PM   #25
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I'll help whenever i can.. i have a list of stock body mount bolts up in the stickies area if you have not ran across it already.

It sounds like an epic undertaking but i'll toss some sizes in when i get to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ7 View Post
Hum,
VIN-code - 1JCHA88E3BT054892
Manufacturer - Jeep (USA)
Model: CJ-8, SCRAMBLER
Transmission and transfer case: 3-speed, automatic, switching on the steering column, part-time
Engine: 5.0 liter, V-shaped, 8-cylinder
Assembly Plant: Toledo, Ohio
Model Year: 1981
Serial number: 054892
Check digit: passed the test

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/jeep/Jeep-CJ.htm[/URL]
CJ-8
Introduced in 1981 and produced through 1986, the CJ-8 Scrambler was a pickup truck version of the CJ-7 and held many of the characteristics of the CJ-5 and CJ-7 of that era. It featured a 103 in wheelbase and a pickup bed. Only 27,792 were built in the 6 years of production.
Drive Train
Engine
In 1981, the CJ-8 was offered stock with the GM 151 I4 engine and the 258 I6 and 304 V8 were optional. The last year for the 304 was 1981. The GM 151 was replaced with AMC 150 I4 in 1984 through 1986.
Transmission
The SR-4 and T-176 were used with the I4 and I6. The T-176 was used with the 304. After 1981, the T-4, T-176, and T-5 5 speed were used. The TF999 was used with the I6 and V8 and the TF904 was used with the I4.
Transfer Case
The Dana 300 was the transfer case used in the CJ-8.
Front Axle
The Dana 30 was always used in the CJ-8.
Rear Axle
The CJ-8 used the AMC 20 rear axle.

D.A. Jim Trotter: Now, uh, Ms. Vito, being an expert on general automotive knowledge, can you tell me... what would the correct ignition timing be on a 1955 Bel Air Chevrolet, with a 327 cubic-inch engine and a four-barrel carburetor?
Mona Lisa Vito: It's a bull**** question.
D.A. Jim Trotter: Does that mean that you can't answer it?
Mona Lisa Vito: It's a bull**** question, it's impossible to answer.
D.A. Jim Trotter: Impossible because you don't know the answer!
Mona Lisa Vito: Nobody could answer that question!
D.A. Jim Trotter: Your Honor, I move to disqualify Ms. Vito as a "expert witness"!
Judge Chamberlain Haller: Can you answer the question?
Mona Lisa Vito: No, it is a trick question!
Judge Chamberlain Haller: Why is it a trick question?
Vinny Gambini: [to Bill] Watch this.
Mona Lisa Vito: 'Cause Chevy didn't make a 327 in '55, the 327 didn't come out till '62. And it wasn't offered in the Bel Air with a four-barrel carb till '64. However, in 1964, the correct ignition timing would be four degrees before top-dead-center.

1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #26
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmanchew View Post
D.A. Jim Trotter: Now, uh, Ms. Vito, being an expert on general automotive knowledge, can you tell me... what would the correct ignition timing be on a 1955 Bel Air Chevrolet, with a 327 cubic-inch engine and a four-barrel carburetor?
Mona Lisa Vito: It's a bull**** question.
D.A. Jim Trotter: Does that mean that you can't answer it?
Mona Lisa Vito: It's a bull**** question, it's impossible to answer.
D.A. Jim Trotter: Impossible because you don't know the answer!
Mona Lisa Vito: Nobody could answer that question!
D.A. Jim Trotter: Your Honor, I move to disqualify Ms. Vito as a "expert witness"!
Judge Chamberlain Haller: Can you answer the question?
Mona Lisa Vito: No, it is a trick question!
Judge Chamberlain Haller: Why is it a trick question?
Vinny Gambini: [to Bill] Watch this.
Mona Lisa Vito: 'Cause Chevy didn't make a 327 in '55, the 327 didn't come out till '62. And it wasn't offered in the Bel Air with a four-barrel carb till '64. However, in 1964, the correct ignition timing would be four degrees before top-dead-center.
My Cousin Vinny
That was a funny movie
Unread 01-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #27
WillyC24
1980 CJ7 

Sounds like a good time to use Google Docs Spreadsheets. Just leave it "open" and shared with everybody so you don't need to manage permissions.

http://docs.google.com

One worksheet tab for CJ5, another for CJ6....
WillyC24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #28
McCalljeeper
1984 CJ7 

Bolt & screw inventory

Did you ever get this project underway or completed? I would like a copy for the CJ7 I'm about to purchase.

Thanks.

McCallJeeper
McCalljeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.