All I got to say... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > All I got to say...

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-06-2005, 09:03 AM   #16
XJH-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geer_hed
Every writeup I've found.

The mod is a joke, it's practically a glorified tuneup.

Are you joking? This is the single best mod you can do to a carbed 258. Down at sea level you have the advantage of OXYGEN

The lowest my CJ ever runs is 6500ft. Juice Box plus this mod is the best $100 I ever spent........not to mention dumping the BBD Elec carb for a non-elec carb. We have to squeeze every HP we can out of these things up here just to get to the grocery store.

Bring that VA CJ up here to 12,000 or 13,000 ft.........see if it'll even start...

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 09:21 AM   #17
Geer_hed

I think the point I was trying to make by calling it a "joke" is that it is easy to do. Hence the reference to a "tune up", as tune ups are not generally regarded as difficult.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have done it to my own heep if I thought it was a bad idea.

None the less, you could've put together the parts offered at the Juicebox website ($99??) in an auto parts store for about $40 less. I too was considering the Juicebox at one point and time (see this thread) until I realized the parts could be had for much cheaper at the store as long as I knew what to ask for.

At that altitude, I to would have had to get rid of the carter. MC2150 would've been on in a heartbeat... I just had one to do the MC21XX swap, but the venturies were TOO BIG and I don't trust myself to rebuild or rejet these things just yet.
Unread 04-06-2005, 02:15 PM   #18
wideopendiesel

I'm curious.. Maybe a little brain dead.. do you use the same plugs for the 258cid or do you use Ford 300cid plugs?? If so do you get a hotter plug or the same as stock??

[url]www.competitiondiesel.com[/url]
wideopendiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 02:24 PM   #19
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

I use the stock plugs (Champion or AutoLite...whichever I can get my hands on) and re-gap them.

-Rodney
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 02:25 PM   #20
killersheep

You use new 258 plugs. I just bought champions. Cap adapter, distributor cap, rotor, 8mm wires, and TFI coil are all from the ford. You might want to fab a mounting bracket before you get started. I just zip tied mine to the wiring harness on the firewall temporarily until I can rig something up to mount the coil.
86 CJ7 Laredo- '98 4.0L , '94 Fuel Injection and Electronics, 2 1/2" skyjacker, 3/4" Rock Crusher shackle , 1" body lift, T5, DANA 300, D30 front w/Aussie locker , amc 20 rear w/Aussie locker and Moser axles, 3.31 gears, and 32" BFG MT's.
killersheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 02:27 PM   #21
wideopendiesel

From Advance Auto Parts web site

Cap Adaptor.. GP Sorensen FR109 $4.94
Distributor cap..GP Sorensen FR121 $6.96
Rotar Button....GP Sorensen FR106 $2.98
Ignition Coil.....GP Sorensen GC403 $12.96
Spark Plug Wires...Accel 4021 8mm $26.88

Total....Minus the Plugs.................$54.72
Plugs..Champion 3405..... 6 @ $2.98 = $17.88

Total..........................................$72 .60 plus Tax

Unread 04-06-2005, 03:17 PM   #22
Geer_hed

I noticed the P/N you used for the coil is GC403. I believe that is the can-style TFI coil. That's the first one they wanted me to use, but I insisted on the Ecoil and they came up with GC407 which is the Ecoil you see pictured in most of the writeups on the web.

P/Ns:

Parts Needed Advanced Auto Parts
(for 6 Cyl. AMC 258)

8MM High Suppression Plug Wires Set# 2962 Xact
TFI Coil GC407 GP Sorenson
Rotor Button FR106 GP Sorenson
Distributor Cap FR121 GP Sorenson
Distributor Cap Adapter FR109 GP Sorenson

Jeep 360 V8 Numbers
thanx bigmackloud at jeepsunlimited
Coil - GC407
Rotor - FR107
Base Adapter - FR137
Cap - FD168X - made by blue streak, purchaces at walker auto parts. $30
Plug Wires -Autolite Pro 96261 - 8mm
Spark Plugs - Autolite #65

If you remove the resistor to boost your output voltage, you need to regap your plugs to .045, but if you keep the Igntion Resistor, you don't need to regap, but the new plugs certainly couldn't hurt.
Unread 04-06-2005, 03:23 PM   #23
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

I went to the local U-Pullit yard and grabbed a coil bracket out of a T-Bird or Cougar and mounted it to my fender near the starter solenoid.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 07:40 PM   #24
KGBnumber1

actually i dont really know what i have right now but i dont think its hei... i dont see any hei box or whatever.... its just a distributor, and plugs... and the distributor and cap i got at autozone... so thats probably aftermarket. but chevy actuall made an hei system specifically for my engine? 1981 chevy i believe. what parts would i need?
KGBnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #25
Geer_hed

Unless you've equipped the HEI distributor with an external coil, it would be just a distributor and and plug wires. That's the beauty of HEI... Lots of spark and very few wires. I haven't done much research in to the GM 229, but if you google "1981 chevy 229 hei ignition", it's pretty clear the HEI was probably stock.

That being the case, you don't have to worry about the TFI upgrade, you've already got a Hi-Po ignition system. One that's pretty easy to troubleshoot by the way...

P.S. How bout a pic to be sure???
Unread 04-06-2005, 10:29 PM   #26
n3480h

I just checked the prices for the components Geer_Hed posted for the 258 I6: $48.79 +tax. I see a road trip in my future.
n3480h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2005, 08:14 AM   #27
wideopendiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geer_hed
I noticed the P/N you used for the coil is GC403. I believe that is the can-style TFI coil. That's the first one they wanted me to use, but I insisted on the Ecoil and they came up with GC407 which is the Ecoil you see pictured in most of the writeups on the web.
Is there a differnce between these two??? GC407 $13.97 so only $1 more I'm just courious what the difference is???

Unread 04-07-2005, 11:25 AM   #28
Geer_hed

I knew you were going to ask that. Well, the best answer is that I can't be totally sure. But I do have a theory.

In looking at these two coils:

TFI Can-Style W/O EEC-IV

TFI Ecoil W/EEC-IV

Obviously they look different, but I notice that the TFI Can-Style coil without EEC-IV (Electronic Engine Control IV - generation of this family of Ford Ignition) is less than the 12v TFI Can-Style coil that has 100:1 primary windings, which is relatively standard for OEM can-style. Perhaps there is a difference in primary resistance and winding ratio? There was a similar post a while back, I'll see if I can educate myself...
Unread 04-07-2005, 01:31 PM   #29
wideopendiesel

This Thread Rocks...my old 258 needs a tune up anyway... So I know which way I'm going..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.