ALL DRUM BRAKE Combination Valve! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > ALL DRUM BRAKE Combination Valve!

Save 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesJuly 4th Sale Event! and Yes, We're Open!Metalcloak: Celebrate Freedom with Free Shipping

Unread 10-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

ALL DRUM BRAKE Combination Valve!

I need help!

My brake combination valve is toast. One of the seats is messed up and no matter what, it leaks. I've searched high and low for a replacement, but so far all I can find are valves that fit the disc/drum combo.

Will this work?

Any idea where I can find an original?

1977 CJ7, Manual 4 drum brakes.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 04:48 AM   #2
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

I was looking into going to power assist on mine and the booster/master comes with a new valve, so I'm guessing it is different or they wouldn't include it.

if the seat is screwed up, see if you can find a small enough copper compression washer some parts stores will carry a selection, they're used alot on ba flare fittings, no reason why it wouldn't work on the inverted flare.
ECJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Hmmmm......

I'll give the copper washer a try. Nothing to lose but brake fluid.

All the replacements specify disc/drum set ups, so I called and asked. the answer I got was, "You have a stock set up, so it should work..." I'm not so sure unless the difference is thread sizes, which could be worked around.

Thanks.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for J&W in California to open. I don't know if they'd sell a used valve for a brake system, but I'll ask.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
Unread 10-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Hmmmm......

All the replacements specify disc/drum set ups, so I called and asked. the answer I got was, "You have a stock set up, so it should work..." I'm not so sure unless the difference is thread sizes, which could be worked around.

Thanks.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for J&W in California to open. I don't know if they'd sell a used valve for a brake system, but I'll ask.
I might have one. I'll look.

Anyways a disk/drum setup won't work. There are metering valves and delay springs and stuff like that to get a disk/drum system to work properly.

Quote:
"The combination valve (often mistakenly just called a proportioning valve) performs three distinct functions, all necessary for safety in a disc/drum setup.
It certainly contains a proportioning valve, which is necessary to reduce pressure to the rear brakes, so that they don't lock up before the fronts, but it also contains a metering valve and a pressure differential switch.
The metering valve provides pressure to the rear brakes before the front brakes. This is necessary to allow the shoes to come in contact with the drums before the front brakes are applied (the front pads are always in contact with the rotors), and then for the rear brakes to begin application slightly before the fronts (which helps the vehicle to stop in a straight line, and be less likely to exchange ends.)
The pressure differential switch activates a light which warns of a problem in the braking system, hopefully BEFORE half the brakes fail (which is usually how you'd otherwise notice it, without the pressure differential switch.)

To replace a combination valve with only an adjustable proportioning valve is a mistake, and will compromise brake safety. Do not do it!!"

A disk/disk should also work for a drum/drum. All they have is a safety valve and a proportioning valve inside.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Interesting...

I called J&W Auto wrecking and after having a conversation with the mechanic there for 30 years, decided to go with the one at 4WD that says "for stock brakes". The mechanic at J&W concurred saying that the earlier Jeeps used the same valve.

I will update.

John, what was the source for your quotes? I'm not exactly convinced either way...

Unread 10-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
John N
1981 CJ8 

I'm pretty sure I have one, but in not sure how to know which one it is. I have a couple of proportioning valves. If I could figure which one it is, you can have it, if you want it. It came off a '76 CJ-7, so I know it was a 4 wheel drum valve.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #7
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Thanks everyone. Right now I have a "new" one on its way. I'm going to try it first and then update this thread and probably the rebuild thread as well.

Thanks for the offers! Depending on the results, I may take you up on this!

Thanks again!

Unread 10-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot
. John, what was the source for your quotes? I'm not exactly convinced either way...
I took the quote off of another jeep forum.
I read the info in a chitons manual and I think you will find the same description in the FSM.

I you want real scoop, there is a company called Vans brakes that can help you.

However your buddy is right. All the early CJs use the same one. It changed later when disk brakes became an option.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #9
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Thanks.

I love exploring... and they're only brakes!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.