Alarm system questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Alarm system questions

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70worm View Post
I own a Glock security system, and I'm always excited when I get to use it!
So, you get out of your Jeep... and hide nearby?

Unread 09-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Forgot to mention that I've got toggle switches on features to turn them on or off like the radar sensor ( zone) , the blinking led light, valet mode, etc.

I guess I'm the only one with a quite jeep. I can easily hear the slight tire noise at 35 to 45 mph. Stereo is fine unless topples on the interstate.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #18
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

I know there's no way to secure a CJ. But, I do want a stereo. I'm going to hide a small amp (bottom of seat, behind dash, etc.) and put a couple 5.25" speakers in the factory locations. Instead of a receiver/head-unit, I'm going to use a Bluetooth adapter - connected directly to the amp (and hidden). When I get in/near the Jeep, my iPhone will pair with the stereo and become the source, volume control, etc.

The dash has no stereo or even a cut-out for one. I really doubt anyone would go to the trouble (and risk) for a couple little 5.25" speakers.
Unread 09-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #19
spward

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
I know there's no way to secure a CJ. But, I do want a stereo. I'm going to hide a small amp (bottom of seat, behind dash, etc.) and put a couple 5.25" speakers in the factory locations. Instead of a receiver/head-unit, I'm going to use a Bluetooth adapter - connected directly to the amp (and hidden). When I get in/near the Jeep, my iPhone will pair with the stereo and become the source, volume control, etc.

The dash has no stereo or even a cut-out for one. I really doubt anyone would go to the trouble (and risk) for a couple little 5.25" speakers.
Challenge accepted. Never underestimate the desire for people to steal anything. I had a wheelbarrow that was broken and left it in the vacant lot next to my house (it was a new construction neighborhood). It never got touched for over a week. I decided to put a cheap chain and lock on it and attached it to a temporary power pole and the thing was stolen that night.

When I drove my CJ in HS, I never locked anything. Had the battery stolen a few times, speakers, broken amps, cigarette lighters, cassettes, lug nuts removed from the spare, you name it, it was taken or tried to be taken.

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #20
james04si

1977 CJ5 

I drove around in my jeep with 3 amps and a pair of 15's and could be heard a mile down the road. The amps were boxed in behind plexiglass held down with bolts to the inside of the enclosure. The 15's were bolted to the inside of the box and the box was bolted through the rear fenders and bottom of the bed using nylon lock bolts. I had to build the box inside the jeep and carpet it once installed. I left the top off unless it was raining and never concerned myself with where I parked it. I put a lot of time and thought into making it a nightmare for someone to steal and it paid off. For the 10 years I had it installed it was never stolen. But these days I'm past the big stereos and dropped down to a simple head unit powering a pair of 5-1/4 in the dash. I take the faceplate off when going inside and don't worry.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
ruby red

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
YES, Ive used VIPER systems and really like them. I mounted my sensor under the lid of my console and wired it all up myself. Walk within a few feet of the Jeep and the horn honks every few seconds if you stay in that zone, reach in or cross the doorway and dual sirens go off. Also on the 6 tone sirens, I cut out the first 2 loops so my alarm immediately sounds different then others.
I'm looking for a Viper system to put in my jeep. What system do you have?

Thanks.
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #22
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

I am going to have to park my Jeep in the JFK airport long term parking lot in NYC from time to time, although I haven't done it yet. Even though it is a secure parking lot my plan is to leave the junk radio that is mounted under the dash visible and put a good receiver and amp in a locking center console. I only have a soft top and soft doors and have been debating a proximity sensor to cover the interior. A motion activated alarm has to be set very precisely so that heavy wind doesn't keep setting it off, so a proximity sensor would be the way to go for me.

I have also heard of thieves getting pissed off if they break in to a car and there is nothing valuable and so they then trash the interior.
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #23
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyLampshade View Post
That remote start option probably isn't compatible with a carb engine. I'm sure with some modifications it could work but I believe most remote starts have to interface with the computer in order to intiate the start.
Not quite true. The remote start system reroutes your key cylinder's wiring through the remote start system. It doesn't require an ecm to simulate turning the key. Newer cars are more complicated to install remote starts to because alot now have vehicle anti theft systems that detect the key a cj doesnt have this so wiring a remote start to work properly would be very easy and straight forward.

If you have a manual you will have to remember to take it out of gear when before using the remote start. Also if your carbed jeep requires you to pump the gas in order to get it to start then the remote start will do you no good but in theory it should work just fine with a carb vehicle.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.