Alabama Engine Swap (PICS) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Alabama Engine Swap (PICS)

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #31
airtime262
1979 CJ7 

Hey Jeff, nice build! I just stumbled upon this thread, seems like everyones jeep is having surgery this spring. Looks really nice, I'm jealous of the engine..(actually I'm jealous that you've gotten this far..lol) My motors out, got my sbc almost ready to go in, will prob test fit this weekend. I went with the M.O.R.E mounts, they're in getting powder coated now. (Fatman, I'll let you know how they work out). Jeff, what exhaust are you going with? It looks like GM manifolds, but I cant tell for sure. I want to go with a header sys, just not sure which one, any ideas? (not outside the frame, I have step bars). Keep up the good work, check back later...
Jeff-

"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."
airtime262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #32
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtime262 View Post
Hey Jeff, nice build! I just stumbled upon this thread, seems like everyones jeep is having surgery this spring. Looks really nice, I'm jealous of the engine..(actually I'm jealous that you've gotten this far..lol) My motors out, got my sbc almost ready to go in, will prob test fit this weekend. I went with the M.O.R.E mounts, they're in getting powder coated now. (Fatman, I'll let you know how they work out). Jeff, what exhaust are you going with? It looks like GM manifolds, but I cant tell for sure. I want to go with a header sys, just not sure which one, any ideas? (not outside the frame, I have step bars). Keep up the good work, check back later...
Jeff-
Thanks!

The exhaust manifolds are for a vette or something.
They are Rams horn center dump with a 2 1/2 inch outlet.
I actually picked those up from a guy on ebay so that I would not have to grind off any accessory brackets on the manifolds.

I did not want headers, I have them on a truck I have (Edelbrock Stainless) and can't stop the leaks.

It will have 2 1/2 duals with yet to be determined mufflers.

We want to see pics of yours.......

Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #33
blackhawk51
1976 CJ5 

if you don't mind me asking, i was just wondering if you could throw a ballpark figure of how much this has cost you?
blackhawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #34
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk51 View Post
if you don't mind me asking, i was just wondering if you could throw a ballpark figure of how much this has cost you?
Well that's a good question.....

The wife isn't here so I'll try go give a good answer and yes I have lost my mind!

So far just for the engine swap I have around $5300.00 in it, that number will continue to climb.

That is the FI setup and all. I still have to make a decision on a radiator, fans and Hoses.
I am building from scratch and even had to buy a bunch of brackets and bolts.

Before I am done I will be replacing the power steering pump, steering gear,gear bracket and shaft.

Also she is going to get hydroboost brakes and AC.

There are cheaper ways to do this, but I wanted to go all new.

Click on my build sheet in my signature and you will get and idea of what I'm talking about.

Now I'm depressed.

Jeff
Unread 04-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #35
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Made some progress Saturday.

Finished all of the plumbing at the rear of the jeep.

The extra rubber line that is loosely tied up is a temporary tank vent line to the front of the jeep.
I'm thinking of using copper to run the tank vent line permanently.

Looking at this I'm gonna add a clamp to the line from the liquid check valve to the roll over valve.
We also finished the wiring at the rear. Tank sender and fuel pump.

Fuel filter.

We wired in the speed sender and reverse as well.

Happy Easter

Jeff
Unread 04-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #36
airtime262
1979 CJ7 

Hey Jeff, thanks. I know what you mean about leaky headers, but I'm gonna give it another shot. Kind of hit a snag this weekend. My MORE mounts dont quite fit as I expected, gonna talk to them tomorrow. My engines still out, due to this, so I have to get a move on. Still have a little top end work to do, but I could still do that with the engine installed. Mine was planned as just a quick swap, with a restore coming in a year or 2. Well, those were the plans anyway. I'll try to get you some pics soon. Keep up the nice work

"A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."
Unread 04-07-2010, 07:13 AM   #37
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtime262 View Post
My MORE mounts dont quite fit as I expected, gonna talk to them tomorrow. My engines still out, due to this, so I have to get a move on.
When I was doing my research for parts I was reading the PDF on the more mounts and they were saying that the engine can only go one place.

I was thinking that this could cause issues. That was the major factor in my choice of the Advanced Adapters mounts.

Jeff
Unread 04-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #38
Performance
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Project is looking good Jeff. I have been running the SBC conversion in my '79 CJ5 for over a year now. It works perfect with tons of power. I used the same Ram Horns for a while. The only real major problem that I ran into was excessive under hood heat. These manifolds have a hard time exiting heat and have been known for years to burn out valve cover gaskets. But, they do fit good for this conversion. I just recently switched to headers and couldn't believe the difference in power and heat. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you ever have trouble. Also the headers work great with the serpentine brackets. The SBC has plenty of power in these CJs and it will be worth all the money and labor. All smiles, buddy!
Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #39
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Performance View Post
Project is looking good Jeff. I have been running the SBC conversion in my '79 CJ5 for over a year now. It works perfect with tons of power. I used the same Ram Horns for a while. The only real major problem that I ran into was excessive under hood heat. These manifolds have a hard time exiting heat and have been known for years to burn out valve cover gaskets. But, they do fit good for this conversion. I just recently switched to headers and couldn't believe the difference in power and heat. Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you ever have trouble. Also the headers work great with the serpentine brackets. The SBC has plenty of power in these CJs and it will be worth all the money and labor. All smiles, buddy!
Good to see you back!

Jeff
Unread 04-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #40
Performance
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal73 View Post
Good to see you back!

Jeff
Thanks, buddy. I have been so busy on projects and other forums. I started back on my Jeep project again, so Im back! Glad to see you are now working on the conversion! Looking good, buddy!

ERIC
Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 03:47 AM   #41
airtime262
1979 CJ7 

Hey Jeff,
I may have hit the panic button a little soon on the mounts. I did have to do a little cutting, a little bending, but with minimal tools. Got some pics I'll post soon, so happy now, I can at least try and stick the motor this weekend, cam and lifters came in 2 days, awesome!

Unread 04-08-2010, 07:06 AM   #42
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Just saw your thread today Jeff. Great job and even better that your boys are right in there helping out!! I like that part.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #43
skclark
1982 CJ7 

jealous

I'm jealous of your awesome 350 AND that red Alabama clay! I'm in the land of sand here in FL.

Very nice man. Thanks again for the paint suggestion. I love that fine texture paint. Did my whole roll bar and it came out like a factory finish.
skclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #44
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Just saw your thread today Jeff. Great job and even better that your boys are right in there helping out!! I like that part.
Thanks! My boys are my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skclark View Post
I'm jealous of your awesome 350 AND that red Alabama clay! I'm in the land of sand here in FL.

Very nice man. Thanks again for the paint suggestion. I love that fine texture paint. Did my whole roll bar and it came out like a factory finish.
I think that half of the red clay is still under the jeep!

The other half has been tracked in the house by the boys!

We made a little more progress last weekend. We installed the FI harness and the oil and temp gauge hook-ups.

We then drilled for and installed the dash insert so the inside of the jeep is done!

We tested all of the electrical hook-ups as well as the fuel system.
No leeks and all of the functions work that we wired up!
Still working under the hood to clean up the wires and re-route stuff.

The jeep will be lonely this weekend as I get to work.

Jeff

Last edited by jcal73; 04-16-2010 at 08:17 PM..
Unread 04-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #45
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Ah, yeah... that work thing! That gets in the way for me too!!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.