aircraft stripper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > aircraft stripper

Advance Adapters SYE KitsOconee Off-Road Jeep Night!SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 04-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
dustindoughty1
1974 CJ5 

aircraft stripper

I have a 75 CJ 5 and I am trying to get it down to bare metal. I have bought two different types of stripper, one being the aircraft stripper and the other one was another aircraft stripper but made by a different company. NONE of these worked, so I'm trying to figure out if they made some kind of super paint and primer back in the 70s that won't come off. I have done the angle grinder with a wire cup brush but you can't get in all the places. I'm planning on using POR 15 and you have to get it down to the metal for it to really work. I'm down to my last option and that's to get it sand blasted, but I'd rather not do that. Anybody out there every have these kinds of problems, also what can I do to get this paint and primer off this jeep???

dustindoughty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

I used a disc sander on mine, stripped all the way to bare metal, hand sanded where I couldn't get the disc in.. it takes a while, but you get a better job by doing it the hard way.. even sanded the hard top smooth, got all the bumps off of it..
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
dustindoughty1
1974 CJ5 

i have and 80 gritt sand disk ill give it a shot lol
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I used aircraft stripper on much of my sheetmetal and it worker perfect. You have to use it as instructed though and if you're doing it outside where the wind can hit it it'll dry too quick. Sometimes to take care of that apply the stripper then put newspaper on top of that, makes it really soak in. After the stripper I sandblasted too in order to get into places you just can't scrape out. Sandblasting has a bad reputation for warping body panels but I have zero issues, even on the hood.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I used aircraft stripper on much of my sheetmetal and it worker perfect. You have to use it as instructed though and if you're doing it outside where the wind can hit it it'll dry too quick. Sometimes to take care of that apply the stripper then put newspaper on top of that, makes it really soak in. After the stripper I sandblasted too in order to get into places you just can't scrape out. Sandblasting has a bad reputation for warping body panels but I have zero issues, even on the hood.
could use soda blasting.. or glass bead being careful..
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
dustindoughty1
1974 CJ5 

do i realy need to get this thing down to bare metal for por15 to stick or will it stick to this factory paint if i scuff it up realy good
Unread 04-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

are you painting body outside or inside?
Unread 04-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
baldfatdad

A buddy of mine scraps it with a razor blade scraper. He does old pick up trucks. A jeep place in Jacksonville, Fl dips them. I gave a place $75 and they blasted it. Then I Ospho'd it. florida sucks for rust, so you have to fight it instantly.
baldfatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frhrwa View Post
could use soda blasting.. or glass bead being careful..
I used silica sand on mine. It cuts about as fast as anything. Keep it out of your lungs though, it is very fine glass. The thing with sandblasting is to not get the metal heated up. You have to keep the tip moving and at about a 45 degree angle to the surface you're blasting. I had absolutely no problem with mine. I have heard of people warping panels but it sure didn't happen to any of mine.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
dustindoughty1
1974 CJ5 

im going to be doing inside and out . i called a guy from texas thats not to far from me and he wanted 900 bucks if i took it to him (ouch) so i went back with the sanding disk and the wire cup brush
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Don't use the wire cup type wheel. Go with the straight wire wheel with the braided strands. They tear through anything with ease. Including leather gloves and flesh.
Found that out the hard way.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
dustindoughty1
1974 CJ5 

yeah me to ! it got me on the wrist now i have the side handle on it

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.