aircompressor deviceb - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > aircompressor deviceb

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 12-03-2002, 11:43 AM   #1
mohmane

aircompressor deviceb

i am doing a project for a class and have to make an invention i am using an air compressor donated by bserk and then creating some sorta splitter so that i can ai all four tires at the same time any reccomendations or donation of parts would be greatly appreciated

mohmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2002, 06:02 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Any hardware store should sell the T-fittings for splitting the air up. You could use clip-on chucks for the valve stems and a shut off valve to open the air up.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2002, 06:46 PM   #3
werewolf7111

do you mean in a static position? while moving?

Joe MSME PE
werewolf7111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2002, 07:57 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Static....

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 12-03-2002, 08:45 PM   #5
werewolf7111

static? ok thats simple

what is the rating on the compressor?

how fast do you want it to inflate?

do you want enough air to do other things?

what is the dataplate info on the pump you have?

do you want the compressor to be full time or part time?

can you open a CAD file? ( dwg or dxf)

how elaborate do you want it?

do you want remote valving? manual? electric?

joe MSME PE
Unread 12-03-2002, 08:58 PM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

The compressor I'm sending him is a Chrysler twin cylinder compressor off of a 440. Not sure what it puts out but it should be capable of airing up, running airtools.. etc.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 12-03-2002, 09:11 PM   #7
werewolf7111

ok then- since this isnt a true pump, it wont have the cfm to do much without a receiver tank

heres the basic outline of what has to happen and why

1) ( assuming mounted to the engine, belt driven and correct rotation)- you need a line to a pressure relief/unloader checkvalve

this is to keep the air you made in the line and relieve pressure from the head- NEVER try to start a compressor under load

2) from there a receiver tank with a pressure relief valve- for accumulation of enough cfm to do anything ( as an engineer i have to say only use an ASME rated pressure vessle- I cannot tell you many have been made successfully from schedule 80 PVC- hint hint)

3) on the tank, you need a gauge and on the discharge outlet a regulator( this keeps backpressure as well as doesnt damage components downstream)

4) from there run a drop to each tire with a quick connect fitting( its a good idea to put a small coalescing filter in line too)

5) make up hoses and youre done

**** I suggest you put several valves in the system to valve off any damaged line and maintain system usability

Hope that helps

Joe MSME PE
Unread 12-03-2002, 09:15 PM   #8
werewolf7111

afterthought

MSC, WW Grainger, McMaster Carr all have all components you need to do this. Get a catalog or order from their website.

MINUS the receiver tank and hooking the pump to the engine, youre looking at about $90

Joe MSME PE
Unread 12-03-2002, 09:20 PM   #9
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I would be willing to bet this compressor puts out enough cfm to run an impact wrench without a tank but I would install one too just to make sure (I used a fire extinguisher rated to 500psi for mine). Can't overemphasize the importance of a pressure-relief valve (safety valve) as this pump is capable of putting out more than 300 psi and most air tanks that I've seen are only rated to 150 psi or so. I would hate to think that I was the one who gave you the pump to supply your rolling bomb with pressure. Think safety at all times.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 12-03-2002, 09:32 PM   #10
werewolf7111

you brought out a valid point I didnt emphasise enough- ANY compressed air sysem is no different than an explosive device and they can KILL.

since i dont know the rated output/mechanical condition of this pump- i cant say what its PSI is- but with the regulator and unloader- it wont matter

assuming it pumps relative and constant to engine run- it MUST have an unloader to allow it to freewheel( pump to atmosphere) after whatever set pressure is obtained

I strongly suggest a key off solenoid set to bleed the system as the vehicle is shut down ( automatic for safety- you never want to leave pressure in a system for long periods) with a branch override to keep system pressure for when you WANT to keep pressure in it.

as to piping- for reliability I would use sweated copper rather than PVC- but several kinds will work

Joe MSME PE
Unread 12-04-2002, 07:12 AM   #11
mohmane

wow this is becoming very complicated very quickly. Any suggestions to simplify it would be great i am also still looking for supplies and or donations. I also would like a detailed picture or explanation of exactly how to set stuff up
Unread 12-04-2002, 07:34 AM   #12
mohmane

i am looking on grainger and dont see how all of this only costs ninety dollars the relief valve cheapest is 28 dollars and the hoses are 148 for 25 feet i havent even priced out anything else yet . what brands or specific types of parts do u use
Unread 12-04-2002, 07:36 AM   #13
mohmane

werewolf where are u located i am in either greensboro or chapel hill let me know if you are close
Unread 12-04-2002, 09:07 AM   #14
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Check out Onboard Air they have everything you need to setup your system.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 12-04-2002, 12:59 PM   #15
mohmane

ok been their priced out the relief valve hose stuff pressure regulator tank what else do i need

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.