Air tools - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Air tools

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 05-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #31
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Doea anyone use the old "butterfly" style impacts anymore? The kind you held in your palm and had a trigger that looked like BF wings or a paddle. Usually in 1/4". I used the heck out of mine, haven't seen it in probably 20yrs though.

WSS

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:39 AM   #32
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Found a google pic.........
snap-butterfly-air-impact-wrench.jpg  

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:43 AM   #33
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I just bought one last year. Use it a lot for assembly work.
Was really impressed with a guy using one to free up a bleeder valve on a caliper without breaking it. I think it had like one impact per second and just freed it up without the BFH effect. You can change directions quickly.

I had a Sears 1/2" electric impact for about 20 years. I'd still be using it if I could find brushes for it. Was great for putting wheels on and off. To big for other stuff though. But torque. wow. I'm glad it had an extra handle on it for control. Never saw on like that again.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 04:50 AM   #34
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Doea anyone use the old "butterfly" style impacts anymore? The kind you held in your palm and had a trigger that looked like BF wings or a paddle. Usually in 1/4". I used the heck out of mine, haven't seen it in probably 20yrs though.

WSS
I have had a couple of them over the years, but found them awkward to use and I have always had control issues with the butterfly trigger. I am sure the issue is with me and not the tool.
As far as assembling with impacts, I do it all the time. The trick is to get off the trigger as soon as the hammers engage. Also, using small impacts lessens the chance of over torquing while retaining high rotational speeds, which which really speeds up reassembly.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #35
spward

1985 CJ7 

Been happy with my Kobalt air tools and they were a great price. Found a nice set of 1/2 impact sockets from Northern Tool for only $20. Should have picked up the 3/8 while I was at it though.

USN Hull #227
spward is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #36
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

One down - Just won an auction for a Craftsman 1/2" impact for $17. I've always had good luck with Craftsman so I am hoping its a decent tool.

Air Ratchet or die grinder is next.
CJ7KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #37
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

I passed on a full set of impact tools just last weekend at a garage sale.. cheap.. high end stuff, had been used but all was in great shape.. just don't have a need enough to buy them, I see them all the time at garage sales.. try craigslist too..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.