Air tools - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Air tools

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 05-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #16
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
I think I'm going to treat myself to something like this instead of a pneumatic.

Matt
That's what I have been thinking also. Just have a small compressor for airing up tires, using a blow gun, or other small jobs.
Other than that, I think I'm going electric.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum

Unread 05-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #17
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
That's what I have been thinking also. Just have a small compressor for airing up tires, using a blow gun, or other small jobs.
Other than that, I think I'm going electric.

Yep.

My compressor is large enough for air tools, but it's ancient and noisy. There's no way I could work in my garage with that thing cycling all day.

I'll probably buy a cordless in 3/8", and a full electrical in 1/2"

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I actually forgot about that. Plugging my compressor in and stretching the hose out as far as I could to get away from the noise.

Unread 05-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #19
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
I have really gotten to like my kobalt (lowes brand) 3/8" air rachet. As I get older, I appreciate a tool that will work for me. The air rachet works like a regular rachet in a way, you break the bolt or nut loose and then pull the trigger, voila, no carpel tunnel!
Checked out the kobalt tools today - great prices on t
hem.
CJ7KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #20
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

The problem with electrics is you need one for every use. Start adding up one for your 1/2 impacts, 3/8 impacts, and you can forget the air ratchet entirely. They will have to be quality tools in order to last.
They also will not give you the torque to take care of some of the tighter stuff, their endurance under load is relatively short, and their recovery (charge time) is fairly long.
I would suggest at a minimum, a 1/2 impact, 3/8 impact, 3/8 ratchet, and a die grinder.
Most all of the lower end tools such as CP will suffice for the weekend wrencher and occasional tire swap.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #21
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Most all of the lower end tools such as CP will suffice for the weekend wrencher and occasional tire swap.

Do you mean Chicago Pnuematic? Not sure now but they had the best 1" impact on the market for a long time, the CP-796.

I have used/worn out at least 10 of these. They hit hard and if you have the air, never stop. I have never considered CP to be "hobby".
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #22
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Perhaps Jeepdaddy meant "PC" = Porter Cable

Can you believe I couldn't find a single 3/8" impact at Lowes or Home Depot, today? They were all either 1/4" or 1/2".

Matt
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #23
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Harbor Freight has a brand line that sounds similar to Chicago Pneumatic just so it CAN be confused with the higher quality name. I can't think of it though.

Lots of good suggestions in here, although I can't think of what value a 1/4 inch drive impact wrench would have. Air ratchet, yes. Impact wrench? Nope.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #24
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot
Harbor Freight has a brand line that sounds similar to Chicago Pneumatic just so it CAN be confused with the higher quality name. I can't think of it though.

Lots of good suggestions in here, although I can't think of what value a 1/4 inch drive impact wrench would have. Air ratchet, yes. Impact wrench? Nope.
Central pneumatic I think.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #25
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Windknot,

I was thinking the same thing about a 1/4" impact. What the heck are they used for? I hardly ever use my 1/4 socket wrench.

Yet, that's all the big retailers seem to sell in the cordless variety. I don't get it.

Matt
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #26
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post

Correct, I was referring to the [I]central pneumatic[I] brand line. Sorry, should have made that clear
As for the 1/4 impact, I run one quite frequently. It is a great time saver when being used for anything you would spinning a nut driver on. Small engines, interior trim, valve and pan removals, etc... It's small size and high power make is a snap to get into places that a 3/8 socket may not want to go.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #27
bsmsmd
1986 CJ7 

x2 on the 1/4 inch impact. its one of my favorite tools for the jeep anf around the house. drives screws better than any cordless drill. just need to realize its not a 1/2 inch impact wrench. i am a lineman by trade and we use them often at work with up to a 3/4 inch socket and they torgue down pretty tight.
bsmsmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #28
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hmm...I guess I can see using the 1/4" for little stuff, especially if you use it for a screw driver, as well. My old 18V Dewalt cordless driver is often too big to get into tight spots.

It just seems a 3/8" cordless impact would be more versatile to me. You can use it with larger sockets, and still adapt down to 1/4", if necessary.

Anyway, I love talking tools. I noticed the new wave in cordless tools is "brushless". Is that a marketing gimmick, or is there something to it?

Matt
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #29
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

RE the 1/4" impact:

Okay, we're having a bit of a culture clash here. I was taught never to use an impact for driving stuff in; an impact wrench is for loosening. Is it done? Yes. Often in fact. Is it the right thing to do? No. Fasteners get over torqued. Have I done it? I'll plead the 5th on that one...

Generally speaking, I'll use an air ratchet for assembly and then torque by hand. I just can't fathom a fastener so small as to use a 1/4 inch wrench to be so torqued I couldn't loosen it by hand.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #30
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot
RE the 1/4" impact:

Okay, we're having a bit of a culture clash here. I was taught never to use an impact for driving stuff in; an impact wrench is for loosening. Is it done? Yes. Often in fact. Is it the right thing to do? No. Fasteners get over torqued. Have I done it? I'll plead the 5th on that one...

Generally speaking, I'll use an air ratchet for assembly and then torque by hand. I just can't fathom a fastener so small as to use a 1/4 inch wrench to be so torqued I couldn't loosen it by hand.
I use the 1/4 for screw driving more than anything. Great for driving and not having to pre-drill most things. They will drive stainless decking screws without stripping them which is a feat in itself.

A handy thing about using the 1/4 for loosening something, you get the hammer impact action but not the BFH impact action. Not much chance of wringing a head off but still better than just trying to Magilla Gorilla something.

Oh and I use it for a lot of assembly stuff..... It is fast and I run it until it hits the first ratchet hammer hit. Then finish final torque(whether feel or torque wrench) by hand.

Just my 2cents.

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.